Sandisk Ultra USB3

This is my second Ultra, after the first one corrupted files lasting ~2 month, and a new problem…

This new stick does not like system power on as it will produce an I/O error hence switching this device to read only (Win7). I can fix the issue by pulling it off the USB3 port, plug it into an USB2 port and format/testing it there no problems - then plug it back into the USB3 port and all is well until the next day pwr on. To prevent the pwr on issue I now pull the stick after pwr off (in the evening) and plug it back in after the system is booted up to desktop - this way all is fine and working properly. I have a 5GB SpeedBoost cache activated on this stick. 

I somehow have the feeling the core problem is the slow write speed of this stick (~20MB/s while reading is a ~100MB/s) hence it takes too long to write the cache file hence triggering an timeout resulting into an IO error?!

The USB3 controller is a VIA integrated on the mobo (Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 rev4.0)

I am not exactly amused about Sandisk product quality standards.

If anyone got an idea how to fix this issue lemme know please :slight_smile:

An interesting senario AgentUltra.  Thanks for posting it.

I have a 5GB SpeedBoost cache activated on this stick.

If anyone got an idea how to fix this issue lemme know please

hmmm How about DON’T use it for a speedboost.  Does the speedboost really help?

Is this stick not supposed to work with ReadyBoost cache?

… and to answer your question Readyboost helps my 6850 GPU to run smoother in FarCry 4 

attached the error generated and the Sandisk double spelling:

error
http://pasteboard.co/VdfAOdV.jpg

double up
http://pasteboard.co/Vdj0me9.jpg

and btw why are the FOUND.00x files system hidden on the stick?

The hidden FOUND.00x files are created by Windows when it tries to fix corrupt drive problems.

USB drives are designed to be removable and the safe way to remove them is by using the Windows Safe Remove option.  And the removal should be done before shutting the system down.  It seems that you are treating the USB drive as a harddrive, and leaving it plugged in when you shut the system down and Windows isn’t writing the large 5 GB file Boost file completely before it finishes shutting down.

Be sure you have Windows set to use the USB drive in the Safe mode rather than the Performance mode.  And be sure to Safely Remove the drive before shutting the system down and you should be fine.

I am pretty sure Win7 will shutdown/flush the usb devices properly when powering off or even rebooting - there is no need to safe remove it first and btw, yes, my usb3 seagate (desktop expansion) hdd got zilch problems and just runs without disconnecting first all the time. Interesting bs interpretation to have the stick remove first or it will corrupt (due to slow writes)!?

There is no use to try to blame me for an apparent bad product design. Sounds to me like no Sandisk anymore!

what a sad state (of quality) the technology industry is into!

goodbye

Oh, btw, I tried your backup software… and the result is this apparently unaware this is a Sandisk Ultra stick!

http://pasteboard.co/WdfpWmx.jpg

A USB hard drive and a USB flash drive are not the same thing.  Windows Explorer shows the USB flash drive as being a Removable drive but not the USB hard drive.  Windows treats the drives differently at shutdown.

As for your backup software problem it opens the door to the possibility your flash drive is a counterfeit was could contribute to some of the problems you are experiencing.  Take it back to where you bought it and complain.

Counterfeit?

This would be a possibility but my stick is already the second from this shop and Officeworks (Brisbane Australia) is a licenced Sandisk dealer, no?

How can I tell appart (fake or real) since there is no serial number/anything on the case - I wouild like to be sure what’s going on here…

How can I tell appart (fake or real)

Unfortunately I know have the experise to know that.  Maybe someone else can jump in. 

Or maybe you can connect with SanDisk Support and they can tell you.

Support is useless - tell me the stick is original but otherwise they don’t care (read ignore the issues at hand!)

They certainly could close down “support” saving a lot of money - Sandisk never again!