Sandisk Ultra Missing Drive Letter Problem

Did a search but didn’t seem to find anything that addresses my issue. I have several Sandisk Ultra USB flash drives, mostly 16GB versions with a couple 32GB versions, and for some strange reason every time I insert them into a Windows computer (both Windows 7 and Windows 10) they fail to mount with a drive letter. Instead I have to go into Computer Management > Disk Management > Change Drive Letter and Paths and assign a drive letter (usually E) to the Ultra drive to have it mount in Windows every single time.

I have numerous other flash drives including several from Sandisk Cruzers that do not exhibit this problem. There is always a drive letter assigned each time they are inserted into a Windows computer.

Is there a cause for this problem?

Is there a workaround other than having to assign a drive letter every single time I insert the Ultra flash drive?

Windows is notorious for screwing up drive letters for removable drives especially similar ones.

Assigning different drive letters to each different drive, ie the 16GB ones different from the 32GB ones, should help. I have some of mine assigned  to S: and T: to keep them out of the way of  other random drives.

@ed_p wrote:

Assigning different drive letters to each different drive, ie the 16GB ones different from the 32GB ones, should help. I have some of mine assigned  to S: and T: to keep them out of the way of  other random drives.

Thanks for the suggestion. Tried that on the Ultra drive’s (all five of them) and it didn’t work. Each one was assigned their own drive letter yet wouldn’t mount with a drive letter while other non Ultra drives would mount with drive letters.

What has seemed to have worked was to access the “diskpart” run command, then issue the following command: automount enable

From then on when the Ultra drives were inserted they mounted with a drive letter starting with the first unused drive letter on the system.

Explanation of the Automount command: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc753703(v=ws.11).aspx

Wow!!  Nice find bennor:smiley:  Thanks for the feedback.

While it is a solution of sorts it doesn’t explain why ONLY the Sandisk Ultra flash drives (all  six of them that I have) wouldn’t mount with a drive letter on that one PC while multiple other flash drives including seveal Sandisk Cuzers would mount with a drive letter prior to the autorun fix mentioned above.