Sandisk Extreme USB 3.0 lifespan

How long can I use Sandisk Extreme USB 3.0 for every day work , as main source for portable programs, and couple of live OS? What is life expectancy of this usb drive? I have 16gb version

hmmm I guess it depends on how much use is reads verses writes, the power systems of the machines it’s used in and the  softness of the box used to transport the drive to and from work. :smiley:

Personally I would think a few years.  I would also think that if the files and OSs on it are important that you would keep them backed on another drive, in case the Extreme gets lost, stolen, broken, or wears out.

Basically, I am using this drive like second C drive, 80% of my software are portable programs which read and save everything to usb drive. I make backups of this drive constantly, and transport it in my pocket :smiley: I sent e-mail to SandDisk support about write cycles and they did not reply yet…

I have one running for 5 years now with mild to moderate usage, so far, it’s been working great for me.

I have the exact 16gb extreme version of sandisk usb 3.0 flash drive and it has been going great for me for 3 years.

my issue is that recently i formatted it to another cluster size (data allocation unit size as windows puts it) bu forgot the out-of-the-box factory default cluster size. windows puts it on 8 kb default.

Was it 16 kB when it came out of the box? Can you guys please tell me if you have the exact thumbstick?

Thank you.