Sandisk Extreme 64GB - make it a fixed drive?

Hi All,

Just searching for the removable bit about CZ80 and see this thread.

First I want to say the I’m a BIOS guy, and have knowledge about how MBR/GPT works.

And yes, if you want to build a Windows to Go enviroment on dongle,especially if you are using UEFI BIOS and you would like to use GPT, you need a “fixed” HDD, This is due to the booting rule for the GPT, it needs a EFI Systemp Partition, which is a FAT32 partition with speicified GUID, and the Windows itself needs a partition for itself, which is NTFS and have another GUID. So you definitely need TWO partitions.

But this is not my question.

Here is the story:

My old CZ80 which I bought last year is not worksing anymore, so I contacted my local dealer in Taiwan, and have it exchanged. Meanwhile, I bought another CZ80. This happened today, and now I got 2 CZ80 64GB.

Then I just realized they both are reconized as fixed drive! As I can recall, my old CZ80 is reconized as a removable devie as the previous posts here. I’m wondering if Sandisk changed the firmware in the USB controller? Or this is caused by OS enviroment? Although I’m a bit happy that I got 2 very good usb thumbdrive for Windows To Go, and the performance is even better than some other thumbdrives which is listed on Windows To Go certified list. But on the contrary, these 2 CZ80 are reconized as fixed HDD, and I can’t disable the write back cache in devicemanager, this means I have to use the safe removal option everytime before I remove them from the USB port. This is a bit annoying, and the data may lost if you forgot to select the safe removal.

So my question is:

1. Why this happened? have Sandisk changed any firmware settings on CZ80?

2. can Sandisk provide a tool or some way to change the settings? since it seems there are 2 versions of CZ80 now.