Sandisk Extreme 64GB - Slower write speeds after system format

First sorry for bumping old thread. (oh wait somone beat me to it yesterday!)

So i just browsed aliexpress for some cheap chinese usb drive for a keychain. In description the seller wrote : 

“You’d better not format your U disk causually because it is harmful.” (nice engrish)

I tried searching google for “does formatting damage flash drive”, and then i remembered this old thread.

It seems like the common knowledge and advice out there is : Go ahead format all you like, it only wears as much on your drive as a normal data write would. You have to dig a little deeper to find the skeptics. A few people on forums mention that some manufacturers now warn against formatting their drives.

But one thing i did learn was that formating or converting to NTFS is a bad bad idea (because of constant and increased activity) - not sure this was clarified in this thread.

So to summarize:

1. Formating your drive makes it lose the custom logical block offset which was put in to provide (sometimes radically) improved transfer speeds.

2. Don’t use the built in windows format. Use HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool for example.

3. Use stock filesystem, if absolutely needed format to Fat16, fat32 or exFat as Ed_p said. Avoid NTFS at all cost

4. If still too slow, try different block sizes.

5. Ed_p is a tough nut to dance with, but he is alright after all :wink: