Littletechguy

Re: SanDisk Cruzer Blade 16GB write protected error

I have a 16gb cruzer that shows as Write protected on a windows XP System. it has never been in a windows 7 system. I have tried EVERYTHING I can find for the the last 2 Weeks...when i have time to work on this.. This is the second drive that has done this on 2 different OS's This is a hardware issue not a OS issue.

I would expect that Sandisk could post a solution, a utility or provide replacments....this seem to be a wide spread problem. I expect that sandisk would be concerned and DO SOMT?HI?NG! about the problem.

abdulazizfakir

My 4 GB sandisk flash disk is write protected and I can do nothing about it!

Tried formatting it by different programs and nothing happened.

Whenever I try delete any file from it it says it's write protected. remove protection.

Is there any solution?

rockhawk

I've got this exact drive - 16GB Cruzer Blade, and it's gone write protected.  I tried it out in my new Raspberry Pi which i think may have had a bit of a USB driver issue - so I guess it's gone into some kind of safe mode.

Anyhow it's definitely broken - shows up as Read Only in Disk Utility in OS X, and that won't let me format or repartition or anything.

Any chance that someone from sandisk could tell me whether the device is beyond repair, or if there's some tool that could make it work again?

SanDisk Guru
drlucky

if it is write protect it will need to be replaced. contact sandisk support to check warranty status. 

asimakath

Changing the registry entry WriteProtect from 1 to 0 solved my problem on a Windows XP PC! It was working fine on my MacBook and Win7 laptops, but not on the particular Windows XP PC I used today.

SanDisk Guru
Ed_P

Interesting.  So this was a WINDOWS problem.  hmmmm  what a surprise.

The question is HOW did the Write Protect switch get turned on.

There are a lot of reports of write protection being turned on, on Windows 7 systems, Windows XP systems and etc.  Some may indeed be problems with the SanDisk device but I believe some are caused by other factors.  In some cases the USB drive may have been  used in a game or a car and etc prior to the problem.  Or a USB hub with insufficient power or a pc that experiences a power surge.  Or a inadvertent click on a mouse pad at the wrong time.  

Ed
millero

Ed,

Are you serious that you, as an 'expert' still think that it is a Windows problem? I have the same issue only from a few days ago, but I have read several topics and tried all the suggested solutions with no success, so it is clear that it is a HARDWARE ISSUE FROM SANDISK!!!

So you are either not an expert or you've got the instructions from your management that you need to blame the people or Windows, etc.

Many people can't return the product for replacement since it contains already sensitive data which can't be deleted due to the hardware issue, but readable.

And you know, it is very interesting that SanDisk dramatically reduced the price of these drives recently. So it seems that by now it is clear for everyone including SanDisk that the products are bad, and no real solution exists to this problem, so SanDisk is trying to get read of the bad products quickly.

You know it is very sad, but hopefully people will 'appreciate' it long term... With this reacton, SanDisk is a failed brand...

millero

I ment SanDisk is trying to get rid of the bad products quickly...

SanDisk Guru
Ed_P

"Are you serious that you, as an 'expert' still think that it is a Windows problem?"

In SOME cases yes.  I have experienced the problem on a Windows 7 system and resolved it by changing a Windows 7 settings.  The above poster resolved the problem on an XP system by changing a Windows XP setting.  Hardware problems don't get fixed with Windows setting changes.  So in SOME cases the problem is a Windows problem.  And in SOME cases it appears to be a hardware problem.

As for the cause of the latter it's hard to say.  Low voltage, high voltage, heat, etc all may play a role.  A manufacturing problem would seem to be something that would show up as soon as the drive is plugged in but that's never what's been reported.  It's always after the drive has been used or being used.

Ed
millero

Ed,

I did not say there could not be similar issues caused by Windows, but now it is not the case. You should already realized this fact. This topic has had already 10000+ visitors, who look for keywords 'USB' 'Sandisk' 'write protection', etc.

It is not a coincidence.

I think most of us have already tried ideas (from other forums), like device properties settings in Win, USB virus scan, DOS prompt, low level formatting, registry change, etc.

THESE DO NOT HELP AT ALL.

In my case it was purely Win XP 32 bit (on 3 different PCs). I have not only my Sandisk Cruzer Blade, but 5-6 other type and brand of USB drives which I use frequently for years now. On these PCs the newly bought Blage 16GB got write protected after 2 months. Looking at the forums, many people has this issue where the above mentioned methods do not solve the problem.

Again there are cases even with Sandisk when these methods can help, but it is the minority. By now thousands of Sandisk users have this write protection error, when nothing can help so far... This clearly indicates a manufacturing / design issue at your site. When I say hardware, of course it could be firmware as well, but definitely something with the flash drive. These products are faulty. And you are selling them quickly very cheap... DISREPUTABLE!!!