Re: SanDisk Cruzer Blade 16GB write protected error

[ Edited ]

Professor SanDisk,

a quick search on the internet will bring up hundreds of results of people with the same read only problem. I am an IT expert and my 16GB Cruzer Blade made it to 24 hours of use before it to went into a 'read-only' lock.

I stopped buying SanDisk products after the catastrophic failure of my 4GB Extreme III SD card.

The current 16 GB Cruzer blade was a gift.

Either post a solution to this problem or post a procedure where we can exchange the unit or receive a refund.

I rather suspect the SanDisk chinese production is biased towards quantity rather than quality.

Regards

SanDisk Guru

Yes, there are hundreds of postings of the problem, but there are hundreds of thousands of these devices sold.  People with no problem with a device rarely post.

BTW I personally suspect the read only problem has ties to Windows 7 64-bit Read Only sharing option.

Ed
Important files = Backed up files

This is not serious!

Re: SanDisk Cruzer Blade 16GB SecureAccess

I've just purchased a 16GB TS-SANDISK BLADE, and do not wish to store my information on-line. I tried to load a 5GB movie onto the stick, but a message appeared that said the destination was full. Can I format the flashdrive and use it as a normal memory stick?  I thank you in advance for your anticipated response.

I've just purchased a 16GB TS-SANDISK BLADE, and do not wish to store my information on-line. I tried to load a 5GB movie onto the stick, but a message appeared that said the destination was full. Can I format the flashdrive and use it as a normal memory stick? I thank you in advance for your anticipated response.

(No idea how to post this message elsewhere)

SanDisk Guru

Your drive is formatted to FAT32. This has a 4GB file size limitation. You may want to break up the movie into 2 smaller files.

Hi Tapeworm. Many thanks for your response. Is there no other possible way to copy the complete 5GB file onto the flashdrive? 

Once again, Thank you.

Oh well I can honestly say this is not a microsoft proble!  I was happily using a SANDISB cruzer Edge 16GB on a mac and a linux box.  Always ejecting(sic) the stick before removing.  For some reason best known to the stick it went read-only on the middle of a multi file transfer. I have been unable to write to, format or partition the disk since.  How do I get a replacement for this product?  This thread has had over 7000 views so it's not an isolated case.

SanDisk Guru

cedric wrote:

Hi Tapeworm. Many thanks for your response. Is there no other possible way to copy the complete 5GB file onto the flashdrive? 

You could re-format the drive to NTFS (same as computer's hard drive) and that would allow the 5GB file to be transferred. However, there is a reason why all portable flash-based thumb drives are formatted to FAT32. It simply works better for the majority of people.

Try it and see. You can always format it back to FAT32 if you want to.

I have gone through Windows XP, Windows 7, and multiple versions of Linux to see if any were able to solve my issue through basic settings manager, through command prompt, and even going as far as re-partitioning the drive, but every last option is denied because of the write protection error. If there is any solution to this, please help!!!