SanDisk Cruzer Blade 16GB write protected error

millitaryman69 wrote:

My stick was working perfectly fine and the only thing I probably triggered was a GB written counter which caused the drive to shutdown. A drive just doesn’t go defect from nowhere. Also, why can I still read it perfectly and just not write to it anymore.

Because this is the way flash memory works. There is a finite number or program/erase (write cycles) that can be done to a flash memory cell before it dies. When you get to a point there is no reserve space left for the controller to use for bad cells you can run into data loss issues if you continue writing to the device. 

Reads do not cause wear on the cell so continued reading from the cell is not going to cause a data loss issue. This is why the controller locks it into read only. to prevent data loss. if you have a drive with this issue backup your data and contact sandisk support. If it is within the warranty they will replace it

Oh, and stop censoring my badwords. If you want feedback, deal with it.

Also you should calm down with the profanity. It is strictly forbidden in the forum rules and guidelines and can get you banned from posting here is you continue using this type of language in your posts. This is a forum for everyone and most people don’t want to read this type of language. 

1 Like