SanDisk Cruzer Blade 16GB write protected error

pls help to remove write protect from my SanDisk Cruzer Blade 16GB,have tried all methods ,nothing is happing.

whether have to buy another drive other than SanDisk ?

gggggggggggg

nothing is happening with “SanDisk Cruzer Blade 16GB write protected error”

please suggest solution for it.

@erlo_d wrote:

We need some customer service

SanDisk Global Customer Service Contact Information

@erlo_d wrote:

It is a Sandisk problem.

Please provide a solution. 

Retrun the unit to your dealer or contact SanDisk directly via the link provided above for a warranty replacement.

@bhrnlsh wrote:

nothing is happening with “SanDisk Cruzer Blade 16GB write protected error”

please suggest solution for it.

Return it or contact SanDisk directly for a warranty replacement as suggested above.

That’s not a suggestion. That’s just prolonging a problem that you need to actually fix.

Well, you can do nothing or you can continue to complain but I can assure you neither will solve your problem. The options TapeWorm gave are the only two options that work.

Only two options that work? That’s sad. Either 1.return it, or 2. talk to customer service, who’ll, in the end, tell you to return it. Great options.

Sandisk needs to figure this problem out. My mother ordered a sandisk camera sd card usb stick, only to have it stop working after 2 uses.

Sorry, two different types of “returns”.  One means “return” it to where you bought it, the other means contact SanDisk who will have you “return” it to them.

As with most problems if they are easy to reproduce they are easy to determine a fix.  This write protect problem is not reproducable.  Many people experience it, on different machines and different OSs and different uses but not everybody and not all the time.  It could be static electricity, low power voltage from the power supply, heat, bent wires, broken wires, dust.  Anything.  hard to fix if you don’t know what to fix.

Tapeworm wrote:

@erlo_d wrote:

It is a Sandisk problem.

Please provide a solution. 

Return the unit to your dealer or contact SanDisk directly via the link provided above for a warranty replacement.

@phobosromulus wrote:
That’s not a suggestion. That’s just prolonging a problem that you SanDisk needs to actually fix.

If it is indeed a SanDisk problem, a bad batch of drives, something inherently wrong in the drives themselves, etc. and no one has figured out how to “fix” it, what other choice is there?

The best way to make sure SanDisk is aware of the problem and hopefully do something about it is to return the item. They, like all other manufacturers of products, monitor their returns closely. When those returns exceed a certain percentage of sales, they wake up and say. “Hey, we’ve got a problem here; we need to do something about it!”

Voicing one’s dissatisfaction on this forum makes one feel good, but corporations tend to listen to their “figures” more than individuals. If they’re hit with X amount of returned drives from various dealers and retailers around the world, they’re going to pay more attention to that than whatever a few people could say here.

There sure seems to be enough individuals ‘complaning’ about their faulty product with the same problem, on this very forum, to warrant some kind of inspection or notice.

This is a known hardware error and can’t be fixed. Sandisk is aware of the issue, although there is no official recall for the product. This is an offical answer if you contact customer service:

"I understand that you are getting write protection error while accessing your Cruzer flash drive. The flash drive has detected a potential fault and has become write protected to prevent data loss. There is no method to fix this. You will need to backup your data and replace the flash drive.

Our team of developers is in combination with the OS developers looking into a solution to resolve this issue.

Please note that only a minor percentage of users are experiencing the write protection issue and these are the customers posting on the internet to find a solution."

SOLUTION 1: Return to where you bought and get a refund (as others usb drives might have the same issue)

SOLUTION 2: Contact Sandisk costumer service and get a refund, for the same reasons

I am facing this problem with my SanDisk Cruzer Slice 16 GB. It says ‘This disk is write-protected’. I cannot format it also. I have Windows 7. Someone please help me.

Follow the advice in the posting above yours.

Customer service told me that my drive detected a “potential fault”, which is impossible in this case, and automatically turn on write protection. I was also told that the only way to correct this is to backup my data and BUY ANOTHER FLASH DRIVE!

Jobs would have said “this ■■■■■ hard”.

They should write a warning on the packaging that this drive tries to think for you and has a limited life expectancy.

So I’ll go buy another one.  But from another brand.

1 Like

"Customer service told me that my drive detected a “potential fault”, which is impossible in this case, and automatically turn on write protection."

You would prefer that the response to the fault be to wipe the drive so that you could still use it?

And why do you think the fault was impossible?  If you plugged into a pc the fault was possible: low voltage, power surge, virus, etc all possible.

So I’ll go buy another one.  But from another brand.”

I hope their return policy is as generous as SanDisk’s for you.  :wink:

TUT well well to my surprise no result I came on here hoping to find a solution into why my usb stick says WRITE PROTECTED

I have sat at the pc endlessly for hours downloading programmes that don’t work I have 2 sandisk cruzer 4gb funny thing is it starting to happen to my other pen drives :womanfrustrated:

For the SanDisk USB stick the answer has been posted many times.  If new return it to where you bought it.  If under warrantee return it to SanDisk.  BOTH options will get you a new USB stick.  There are no other consistent options

The solutions I have seen here have ranged from formatting the drive in a cheap camera to this http://forums.sandisk.com/t5/All-SanDisk-USB-Flash-Drives/SanDisk-Cruzer-Blade-16GB-write-protected-error/m-p/277306#M2953 and this http://forums.sandisk.com/t5/All-SanDisk-USB-Flash-Drives/SanDisk-Cruzer-Blade-16GB-write-protected-error/m-p/279296#M3080 .

" funny thing is it starting to happen to my other pen drives"

That kinda indicates that the problem is not caused by a SanDisk problem, it’s your pc.  And that could include a range of situations causing the problem: low voltage, power surge, a Windows update, a virus, etc.

NO one knows at this point what the cause is but it’s been occurring for months.

@jude62 wrote:

TUT well well to my surprise no result I came on here hoping to find a solution into why my usb stick says WRITE PROTECTED

I have sat at the pc endlessly for hours downloading programmes that don’t work I have 2 sandisk cruzer 4gb funny thing is it starting to happen to my other pen drives :womanfrustrated:

As you seem to be experiencing the same ‘write protect’ issue with another brand of drive, maybe you should be looking at your system OS and not be blaming the drives themselves.

I must say that I am little surprised when reading the responses of a Sandisk Guru and Professors here… to have obtained the title, I’m sure it warranted the use of a lot of chapstick!

Anyway…

Since I have had issues with 2 of these devices failing now…  both with the Xbox 360 logo on them… I would be curious what Microsoft would have to say if we posted our frustrations there… I would be happy to suggest that perhaps Microsoft consider promoting Kingston brand devices… since they just plain work… have not had one of them automatically set a read only flag on the device to protect my data… and then provide no solution? Really?

Tapeworm and Ed… you have been of absolutely no help and your responses only contribute to the image that is Sandisk. Thank you for encouraging me.

Not another dime of my money will go the way of Sandisk.

1 Like