SanDisk Cruzer Blade 16GB write protected error

Here’s what I believe happens to those who experience a “write protection error” Two weeks ago, I purchased my first Flash Drive removable disk…the SanDisk 16gb Cruzer. There is not a switch on the removable disk to over ride the write protect. 

I have the Windows Vista system installed on my Dell Inspiron lap top. When I brought the Sandisk 16gb cruzer home, I immediately placed it in one of my many usb ports. I immediately started loading “My Documents” on to the disk. It accepted them readily with no problems, all 2. something gigabytes of them. Since that time I have discovered that since the Sandisk comes already formated in the Fat32 format. I can only load 4. something gigs into it. After trying many advices from different forums I would still get the response of “This device is write protected, try again or insert a new disk” Therein lies the tale.

The following is my opinion as to why I can’t reformat my disk:  I should have (If I had known) immediately, before loading files onto it, formated it in the NTFS format then everything would be ok. I would be able to add additional files at my leasure with no problem. What I believe happens when you plug your removable drive into your machine with the SanDisk (comes with) Fat 32 in place. There is some command that automatically locks up the write protect feature of the SanDisk as soon as you remove the disk from your computer. Before I arrived at this conclusion, I tried using the suggested changes to my registry, tried formatting from the command prompt, used the disk management tool, all to no avail. That’s when I concluded that all the file tweaking on your computer won’t get the job done. It is an inherant part of the SanDisk removable disk file structure, good or bad! The only option I have from not being informed on any type of instruction is what I have tried to explain above.

In other words, “My tough luck” and 23$ not lost, but not completely satisfied with the product either. 

1 Like