SanDisk 16GB MicroSDHC can not be formatted

Hello,

I recently bought a SanDisk 16GB MicroSDHC for use with my MP4 and when I came home I put it in my computer. At first the computer didn’t even see the card but after a few tries the computer did and asked me to format it. I click OK and then on Start, after a second or two a message pops up saying that the formatting could not be completed. When I then go to the My Computer screen the card is no longer seen, unless I pull it out and put it back in.

These are the standard options for the formatting, I have no clue on what to pick and its translated from Dutch:

Capacity: 30,6MB (no other option).

System: FAT (other options are NTFS and exFAT)

Clustersize: 512 bytes (other options are Standard, 1024 bytes, 2048 bytes and 4096 bytes)

The computer is very new, so I’m quite sure the problem does not lie there.

Help is appreciated, thanks in advance.

do a google search for “hp disk storage format tool” download that and use it to format the card. if that does not fix it the card will need to be replaced. contact sandisk support for warranty. 

Thanks for your reply but I think the card(-reader) is broken, I inserted it into the reader and then after 10 seconds the card suddenly dissappeared. 

I have a 16 GB micro SDHC chip in my camera.  The San Disk adapter is suddenly not formatting on  my PC.  It does format on my laptop.  What is the problem?

The PC is broken.

I tried using cmd to format the Scandisk cruzer blade 4gb when the format option in the dialogue when u right click the said drive couldnt help formatting… Please is there any other method i can use. thanks

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Administrator>diskpart

Microsoft DiskPart version 6.1.7601
Copyright (C) 1999-2008 Microsoft Corporation.
On computer: ICT-PC

DISKPART> list disk

Disk ### Status Size Free Dyn Gpt

Disk 0 Online 465 GB 1024 KB
Disk 1 Online 64 MB 0 B

DISKPART> select disk 1

Disk 1 is now the selected disk.

DISKPART> clean

DiskPart succeeded in cleaning the disk.

DISKPART> create partition primary

No usable free extent could be found. It may be that there is insufficient
free space to create a partition at the specified size and offset. Specify
different size and offset values or don’t specify either to create the
maximum sized partition. It may be that the disk is partitioned using the MBR di
sk
partitioning format and the disk contains either 4 primary partitions, (no
more partitions may be created), or 3 primary partitions and one extended
partition, (only logical drives may be created).

DISKPART>

Well DISKPART is showing your drive as only 64MB and with a 0 block size.  Basically the drive is broken.

But if desperate try the suggestion 5 posts, and 6 yrs, above yours by drlucky:

‎06-29-2011 12:53 PM

do a google search for “hp disk storage format tool” download that and use it to format the card. if that does not fix it the card will need to be replaced. contact sandisk support for warranty.