San Disk Extreme 64 gb [New Version].

I have just ordered a San Disk Extreme 64GB [NewVersion]. Is this a fixed or removable drive ? I’m hoping removable.I I believe this product is exFAT formatted from the factory, is this correct ? Are there any draw backs to exFAT ? Thannk you for your response. Newatthis

“Is this a fixed or removable drive ?”

Won’t know until you plug it into your machine.

“I’m hoping removable.”

I hope your hoping works for you.  :wink:

“I I believe this product is exFAT formatted from the factory, is this correct ?”

At 64 GB I believe that to be true.

“Are there any draw backs to exFAT ?”

Some older OSs doesn’t support it.  What OS are you going to be using it width?

“Thannk you for your response.”

Your welcome. :flushed:

1 Like

Thank You Ed. I have Win 8.1. Prons and cons to exFAT ? So Fixed or Removable will be a Christmas surprise I guess. I won’t keep it if it’s fixed.

Prons and cons to exFAT ?

Google doesn’t work for you?!!  :smileyvery-happy:

This should help: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ExFAT

exFAT handles large files, those over 4 GB, without the journeling overhead of NTFS.  Better suited to removable media than hard drives but can be used for both.

1 Like

Google Works Great. My questions are to validate and confirm. I assume that it will be a removable with exFAT and wanted to know the pros and cons of both. Google is as evasive withh regard to these topics as you. I do like your style though. Thanks, ED

What do you mean by [New Version]?

What constitues the new version? I would like the new version if one exists…

“New Version” means it is a removable disk as opposed to the fixed disk version.

Ah, gotcha. I thought you meant a new version, as in maybe a newer model number as is reported on Amazon that ends in “GAM46” or something along those lines (which I am trying to investigate the validity of such item). Or a “New Version” that actually works…

I have purchased two of these and both are DOA out of the packaging, and the ONLY usb drives out of dozens that have ever failed on me.

What version do you have? A46 or A75 or something else?

I have a San Disk Extreme 64gb Serial number ending with GAM46 I believe. I ran an ATTO benchmark test on it.Max read was 265/mbs. It was advertised at 245/mbs for read. The max. write was 179/mbs. It was advertised at 190/mbs for write. Of course your system and other variables can slow the advertised speed. I am Totally satisfied with my purchase. Sorry to hear about your troubles. [SanDisk Extreme CZ80 64GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Transfer Speeds Up To 245MB/s- SDCZ80-064G-GAM46 Newest Version. It also includes a lifetime warranty. All that for $37.00 !!!

The write speed actually depends on a lot of factors. Those advertised are tests made in an ideal environment but real numbers would be much lower than that.

I’m trying to figure out if GAM46 is indeed a fairly new product. Tech support seems to be reading from a script and does not know how to figure out what you have. The files it comes with says Oct 2013, so I am not sure if that is the date they were placed on the NAND or the date the files were last updated etc.

Using USBDeview to inspect the new drives I have here I can not decode the manufacturers date (which seems like the most inportant piece of data that a manufacturer should supply within its firmware). Firmware version is only 0.10 and I can only manage 195 MB/s reads and 118 MB/s writes for the 32GB model, which seems to suggest the 2013 models. I’ve got three of these now, two 32GB models and one 16GB. The DOA items were replaced.

I guess I have to wait for Windows 10 to get the speeds I want out of these…

The date of the files most likely represents the date they were written to the master device used to clone the drives.

As for the R/W speeds some of that is the controllers and etc of the machine they are run on.  And some of it is how the drives are configured in your OS.  Do you have their USB Device Properties set for Quick Removal or Better Performance?

Atto

@ed_p wrote:

The date of the files most likely represents the date they were written to the master device used to clone the drives.

As for the R/W speeds some of that is the controllers and etc of the machine they are run on.  And some of it is how the drives are configured in your OS.  Do you have their USB Device Properties set for Quick Removal or Better Performance?

Nice image. :wink: 

What’s it mean?

1 Like

This is the Atto benchmarks from my San Disk Extreme 64gb .