Problems with 16 GB sandisk cruzer

Hello, I purchased a 16 GB sandisk cruzer from walmart, but when it is pluged in to the computer it only registers that there is 14 GB of free space. There is nothing on the USB. I bought it because I have close to 14 GB of files, but it says it cannot write them because there is not enough space.

In addition, I can’t even place a 4 GB file on the flash drive without gettting the error that there is not enough space.

I hope there is a way to do this, because I think it’s a rip off to advertise something as 16 GB but it’s really 14 GB. With all do respect that is false advertising.

Please respond promptly. 

16,000,000,000 bytes formated to FAT32 for OS access yields approx 14GB of OS space.  Formating adds overhead, it’s just how it works.

The FAT32 format can support a maximum file size of 4GB.  For files larger than 4GB you will need to reformat the drive to NTFS.

Thanks, that helped me fit the file on there. If 16 GB is 14.9 GB then they should make it 18 GB so it would actually be 16 GB after formatting. 

Thanks Ed. Here is my issue.

My WD 500GB drive is 500,107,862,016 bytes

My WD 640GB drive is 640,135,028,736 bytes

My generic 8GB thumbdrive is 8,178,892,800 bytes

Yes you lose after format and you would get 14.9 after format if you actually bought a 16GB drive, but you didn’t!

With the Sanbdisk Cruzer you bought 15.6 or 15,698,231,296 bytes, when formated is 14.6. so now I ask… how can you call this (and sell this as) a 16GB?

-Ric

This article explains it very clearly:

http://petapixel.com/2012/10/10/why-hard-drives-and-memory-cards-have-less-space-than-advertised/

Tapeworm, your response with article proves my point and explains perfectly why we should expect a better amount of space than SanDisk has given us on this drive. A quote from your article even states:  “Memory cards aren’t as bad as hard drives when it comes to advertised versus “actual” (it seems that the makers try to match up the two figures): when you buy a card for your camera, you’ll probably getting something close to what it says on the box.” 

I completely understand formatted space and I know how to divide and multiply to find bytes to GB. 

The article also states: to a computer 1 GB = 1,073,741,824 to product naming 1 GB = 1,000,000,000.

By this fact, this drive should have NO LESS THAN 16,000,000,000 bytes. 

Lets look again at the fact that this drive starts out at 15,698,231,296 REAL bytes.

-Ric

Hi, I was using my cruzer blade 16gb by almost a year but today i formatted it and it said windows was unable to complete the format.

Now the condition have became worst.

When i plug it into my laptop it is shown in my computer as removable disk. But no volume info is shown and i cant open it, format it. Even a few of third party softwares i tried are unable to detect it.

In short it is useless now.

Please help me what should i do now.

I bought it approx a year ago, One more problem is i’ve lost its bill, but not the packet in which it was kept in store.

The data in it is no worth to me, i just want my 16 gb cruzer back to its initial working state.

Thanks in advance.

I had bought a newly 32 gb otg flash there is built in a software that is called its vault but it warn me it is running only for one year after that it has been expired 

Now the problem is that vault has been expired and my data close to 20GB in it has been currupted how i can get back it in orgional format Plz help me and response me as soon as possible Thanks

I had bought a newly 32 gb otg flash there is built in a software that is called its vault but it warn me it is running only for one year after that it has been expired 

Now the problem is that vault has been expired and my data close to 20GB in it has been currupted how i can get back it in orgional format Plz help me and response me as soon as possible Thanks.

Now the problem is that vault has been expired and my data close to 20GB in it has been currupted how i can get back it in orgional format Plz help me and response me as soon as possible Thanks.

I have never heard of SanDisk’s SecureAccess expiring.

Rather than reformating the drive simply delete all files and folders on it.  This link may help:

https://kb.sandisk.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/17500/session/L2F2LzEvdGltZS8xNDQ2OTYwNjcxL3NpZC9uVVA4dllBbQ%3D%3D

Then if you wish to reinstall SecureAccess on it download it from here: 

https://kb.sandisk.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2399/%C2%A0

As for your personal files, re-add them to the drive from your backups. 

Do note, you can add files to the drive without using SecureAccess or reinstalling SecureAccess.