Newbie here, Please, Need someone's help.

Hello,

Using Windows Vista with 1gb RAM. Have a slow dialup internet connection. Have SD Cruzer,  Micro 2gb’s. Is there a way of getting more internet speed by utilizing the Cruzer to increase my computers RAM?

Thanks in advance, Ralphie24

no, internet is a completely different system and has noting to do with RAM. 

HI drlucky, Thanks for the quick turn around.

I think I asked the question incorrectly, I hope you will not mind if I try again?

Will my computer speed increase if I am able to  Increase my RAM size by using 1gb from my SD Cruzer?

If this is possible, how can I make my SD Cruzer to work as 1gb of RAM?

Thanks, Ralphie24

@ralphie24 wrote:

Will my computer speed increase if I am able to  Increase my RAM size by using 1gb from my SD Cruzer?

If this is possible, how can I make my SD Cruzer to work as 1gb of RAM?

No, it won’t. The only way to increase your RAM is to add/change the RAM memory chip inside your computer.

No, it’s not possible to make your computer see an outside storage medium as internal RAM.

well vista does support a function called readyboost. you can configure this by right clicking the drive and selecting properties then going to the readyboost tab. 

Readyboost uses the faster access times of flash memory to boost system performance instead of caching to the harddrive. 

That being said microsoft claims it will increase system performance, however in all the tests i have done and all the reviews i have read on the internet there is no performance difference whether using readyboost or not. I think it was a good concept but a poor execution. 

even though the option is there and you can try for yourself to see if you like it I would have to agree with Tapeworm. putting more physical RAM in the machine is the best bet. Also get rid of Vista and upgrade to Win 7. much less bloated and less resource intensive.  

Hi Tapeworm, Thanks for the info, Ralphie24

HI Mrlucky, Thanks for the info, ralphie24.

I’m on a new tact. I hope you will not mind.

Instead of bringing my laptop to a library that has a WiFi connection to download new virus protection(Again I have a slow internet connection) info.  I would like to plug my Flash Drive into the libraries computer to download the new virus info and store it on the flash drive. I contacted Norton(I am a registered user), but they said it would not work because Norton checks to see if you are a registered user. I was thinking of Installing Nortons software on my flash and using the flash drive to download the virus info.

Your thoughts on this would be most appreciated. Thanks again, ralphie24.

While the Norton files may be on the flash drive the Norton Windows Registry entries won’t be nor any system files.  Unlikely Norton would recognize it as being installed to the flash drive on a library pc.

BTW there is no extra charge for starting new threads for new tacts.  :wink: