Formatting SanDisk Extreme 32GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive for ReadyBoost

After experiencing a slow session on a demanding application like Adobe Premiere Pro, I want to augment my stock 4GM of RAM. To do so by using ReadyBoost on a readily available USB 3.0 flash drive, I must restore its defaults. But my flash drive comes with SanDisk SecureAccess, and I’m afraid of losing the feature permanently. Will I be able to restore the titular flash drive and be happy?

Thanks,

ST3ven :confounded:

I personally think 4GB is a reasonable amt of RAM.  What else are you running while using Adobe? 

What format does ReadyBoost require?  The flash drive should be FAT32 when purchased.

As for SecureAccess, either back it up before formating or downlod a new copy to the flash drive when done using it as ReadyBoost.  https://kb.sandisk.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2399/%C2%A0

@ed_p wrote:

I personally think 4GB is a reasonable amt of RAM.  What else are you running while using Adobe? 

What format does ReadyBoost require?  The flash drive should be FAT32 when purchased.

As for SecureAccess, either back it up before formating or downlod a new copy to the flash drive when done using it as ReadyBoost.  https://kb.sandisk.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2399/%C2%A0

Yes, I checked, it’s FAT32, like another, USB 2.0 flash drive I have. That one didn’t work either, because it has less than the required 5GB, according to some technician’s blog.

Oh, you answered my question, then, bro. I don’t know anything about flash memory, and was afraid restoration would permanently change things.

IF you have files stored in the SecureAccess vault I recommend you save the files to your hard drive or another flash drive before deleting SecureAccesss.

As for ReadyBoost, it is stored on the drive as a file.  If you want a cache file larger than 4 GB, the max FAT32 can handle, then the flash drive needs to be reformated to something like exFAT.  I don’t recommend NTFS for flash drives, it has journaling which adds overhead.