Extreme USB 3.0 16GB Flash Drive

I just puchased this item and was testing it with different file type uploads. The problem I have is that it is unable to upload a 4.35GB ISO file - advising me the file is to large.

This stick with its Scan Disk software on it shows it having 14.5GB of free space - why won’t this stick allow me to copy an ISO fie that is only 1/3 the available free space?

I’ve been able to load up an ISO file at around 3.75GB, but that is about the largest ISO file I can load on this stick.

A 4.35GB ISO file is the standard compressed size for copying a standard DVD5 - anyone know why, or how I can correct this?

Thanks

[Solution! Re: San Disk Extreme 64 gb [New Version].](/t5/forums/replypage/board-id/all-usb-ssd/message-id/Solution! Re: San Disk Extreme 64 gb [New Version].)

[Solution! Re: San Disk Extreme 64 gb [New Version].](/t5/forums/replypage/board-id/all-usb-ssd/message-id/Solution! Re: San Disk Extreme 64 gb [New Version].)

anyone know why, or how I can correct this?

As a matter of fact I do. The drive is formated as FAT32 and the largest file size that format can handle is 4.0 GB.

There are several options: 

1. Don’t create files larger than 4.0 GB.  :stuck_out_tongue:

2. Split files larger than 4.0 GB into increments. :confounded:

3.  If all else fails reformat the drive to a format that will support 4.0+ GB files.  exFAT, or NTFS, will work.  Choose the one that is most compatible with the machines you will be using the flash drive on.  And be sure to backup any files you want to keep on the drive before formatting it.

To avoid hassles, I’d suggest to just format NTFS. It’s what a lot of people are using nowadays.

I’m currently using a new XPS Dell computer running Windows 8.1 - would this be formatted as NTFS? Thanks

I’m currently using a new XPS Dell computer running Windows 8.1 - would this be formatted as NTFS?

Your Dell’s hard drive is definitely formated as NTFS.  But the NTFS format includes journaling which slows a USB drive down a bit, exFAT accomplishes the same thing without the journeling so is a better fit for the USB drives imo…

1 Like

recently i formatted it to another cluster size (data allocation unit size as windows puts it) bu forgot the out-of-the-box factory default cluster size. windows puts it on 8 kb default.

Was it 16 kB when it came out of the box? Can you guys please tell me if you have the exact thumbstick?

Thank you.