Extreme Pro USB 3.1 SSD Flash Drive 256GB SMART ERROR OOB?

[ Edited ]

So I just got this SanDisk Extreme PRO USB 3.1 SSD Flash Drive 256GB today and am starting to dump a few things on it. And I noticed that my SMART software detected an error on it. I just got it from Amazon new. I can return it but wanted to check to make sure its a real valid error or not. I just got it today. Over all it seems to work just fine. Get a little warmer than most my other usb flash based drives IMO. If I need to return it I can. And should I expect to see a different temp for the device other than 8c? It doesnt seem to change to or from 8c.

Capture.PNG

Re: Extreme Pro USB 3.1 SSD Flash Drive 256GB SMART ERROR OOB?

I went ahead and setup a return with Amazon. This thing gets hot ass h3ll even when its not doing anything. plus I just dont trust it. hope the next one doesnt have this issue. at least with the SMART ERROR. 

Does this drive run hot for other people?

SanDisk Guru

8C = 46.8F which is cold not hot.

Ed
Important files = Backed up files

I agree but I darn near burned my finger trying to unplug it. Regardless of what the temp says it is its hot as heck.

[ Edited ]

So as it turns out the replacement I received says and does the exact same thing. Runs a little on the hot side and fails SMART CHECK. 

Am I reading this correctly? I just want to make sure I can rely on his device. And yes I make regular backups of any and all data. But still peace of mind is always nice.

Given the price tag behind this little guy I just want to make sure that this SMART error is valid or not. How can I tell? Other SMART software apears to report the same thing.

SanDisk Guru

We are reading the chart wrong.  While the drive might have been 8C at some point its Temperature Current value is 92C = 197.6F!!  Yes, its HOT!!  But the chart highlighted the coldest temp which is probably when you first got it and plugged it in. A one time thing.

The chart is equally confusing with the Remaining Life numbers.  Current is 0, the Threshold is 5 and the Worst is 100.  If the Threshold is 5 I would think the warning would come if Current was 4 or 6 not 0.

Does the drive cool down after you stop loading stuff onto it?

Ed

The drive does cool down after its done read/writing so that is a good thing but the temp in SMART reading never changes. I do expect the drive to get a little warm or even hot while I am dumping 75GB+ of data onto it as long as it cools down when its done.

One thing I did notice about the replacement drive vs the 1st drive I got was the second drive activity light is nowhere near as bright (maybe that was adding unneeded heat to other drive?) Overall the drive seems to work just fine.

My guess is that since its a SSD inside of a USB Flash drive form factor using USB 3.1 interface which kind of new that SMART is just not 100% accurate (yet). im guessing that at some point the next version of this drive/line will employ the proper ability to read smart correctly of at least not give false alarming details. at first glance it made me not want this drive but the drive is too **bleep** fast to just pass on a false positive. 

I have been a long time fan and supporter of sandisk drives both internal and external, im hoping that I have nothing to worry about or that sandisk will fix it. Smiley Happy

~MrChris

SanDisk Guru

Interesting.  http://download.cnet.com/CrystalDiskInfo/3000-2086_4-10832082.html shows the current version as being 7.5 and the Operating Systems as Windows 2000/XP/2003/Vista/Server 2008/7/8.  No mention of Windows 10.  That could explain some of the things your seeing.

Ed