Extreme Pro USB 3.1 SSD Flash Drive 256GB SMART ERROR OOB?

I am all for sharing information, for in the chance someone else has similar inquiries. I wanted to share SanDisk’s response to my official ticket I opened up on the subject. Bottom Line is SanDisk is basically saying to Ignore SMART errors that may be reported about this drive. I’m semi-ok with this response as I understand that this model drive is basically a SSD inside a flash drive form factor and as a result SMART is not reliable. But if that is the case it should be made aware in some sense as I have always relied on SMART to give ma a “better than nothing” type of SSD health report or status check on my SSDs overall health. Since this drive is marketed/advertised on SanDisk’s own website as a “SANDISK EXTREME PRO USB 3.1 SOLID STATE FLASH DRIVE” it should mention somewhere even if its in small print that SMART reports should not be taken into account when checking the overall health of this SSD/USB Flash Drive etc… or something to that effect. But then again. I’m just a user not a techie type person.

How else can I at least check the Read/Write Life Cycles and or Temp etc…on this drive?

~MrChris

Response Via Email (Aria Y.) 11/07/2017 01:12 PM
Dear Chris,

Thank you for contacting SanDisk® Global Customer Care. It is our goal to make sure that your query is resolved so that you can enjoy using your SanDisk® product. 

I understand that you are getting SMART error on your flash drive. Please note that SMART test is for Solid State Drives (SSD). Extreme Pro USB 3.1 uses Solid State technology but basically it is a flash drive. Hence, we do not recommend running SMART test on it. A flash drive is a plug and play external storage device that saves the data inside it. You can simply connect the drive to your computer and transfer data onto it. There is not need to run SMART test on it as SMART test is for Solid State Drives. Please refer to the link given below in order to know more about USB flash drives and SMART test:

Self-Monitoring, Analysis and Reporting Technology (S.M.A.R.T.)

Your reference ID for your future references is 4179587. Please reply to this email should you require further assistance. We are glad to help!

Best regards,
Aria Y.
SanDisk® Global Customer Care