Cruzer / Keychain Incompatability?

I recently bought an 8BG Cruzer and was baffled when I found that I could not attach it to a keychain.  The small metal rod does not seem to accept any type of key ring or hook. 

I called tech support and she said they this is the new design, and that it is in fact designed that way on purpose, which just baffled me more.

What sort of solutions have the people on the forums come up with?  These things are meant to go on keychains, so there has to be some type of small lanyard available?  Or maybe some way a member has found to rig it up themselves?

Thanks!

you contacted support and they didnt tell you what type of lanyard it uses? 

this device was designed for use with a lanyard. they can be purchased in many different sizes and colors. anyway below is the type of lanyard they use. it has the small black loop on the end. the loop is put through the hole under the metal bar the the lanyard is passed through the loop creating a slip knot.

http://www.theworld-export.com/mem-pro/533/547-1/id-card-strap-dyesublimation-lanyard-74453.html

yeah she was just like “there is no resolution” and “this is the new design”. As an engineer, I’d consider this a severe design flaw, but maybe that’s just me. And even if it is designed to only fit lanyards, they should at least include one with the drive…

1 Like

I totally agree with zac04!  If that is what SanDisk is saying is compatible then it should come with the flash.  Of course it would have been much cheaper to just put the small rings back on the drives.  I was so frustrated with trying to get a ring on the drives and then trying to find the lanyard locally that I just gave up and returned the 4 flash drives I bought for school.  I just got a different brand with the ring!  Should have done that 3 days ago and saved myself all the frustration.

How TOTALLY INCONSIDERATE to have designed something that can hold 32 GB of a person’s LIFE, and have no way for the owner to hold onto it safely!!!  What in the world was the manufacturer thinking?!?!  And how can I get something to keep this teeny tiny little thing holding my life in it SAFE?!?!?!  I have wasted WAAAAAAAAAAY TOOOOOOOO much time on this silly problem.  I have 4-5 Cruzer ScanDisk flash drives that I have enjoyed using over the past couple of years, and they each fit onto my keyring.  I wanted to purchase the 32 GB one, but I’ll just find another brand if I can’t find a way to connect it to my keyring.  CRAAAAAAAAAAAAZY!!!  PLEASE RESPOND ASAP to this perplexing situation.

the solution is in the second post. 

There should be a keychain compatible with your USB. There are tons of keychain designs. 

Problem Solved!! I attached the smallest size “Zip Tie” to the little pin on the drive and formed it into a loop to attach to my keychain. Fits perfectly and it’s very strong. Zip Ties are available in any hardware store of Radio Shack. They are deisgned to bundle wires together. Availabe in all sizes and colors.

1 Like

Does anyone know where I can get the little metal ring?  I don’t want to hang the flash drive around my neck.  Would like to attach it to my key ring.  Thanks

The solution posted above your posting doesn’t work for you?

As for a metal ring I would try a jewelery store or a crafts shop.

Walmart - jewelry/craft findings…tiny split rings in silver or gold color 2 dollars…

This is a really design flaw.

I ordered a Cruzer that had old design becuse I worried about this issue. However, I got one with new design as the dealer delivered me one with the new design.

Sorry the Cruzer team, but the Cruzer team need to be closed because no longer Cruzer is a good desinged USB flash drive.

; the design.of the Cruzer used to be the best.

This is a really design flaw for me.

I ordered a Cruzer that had old design becuse I worried about this issue. However, I got one with new design as the dealer delivered me one with the new design.

If most of people who want to use a keychain agree this is a big design flow, the Cruzer team need to be closed because no longer Cruzer is a good desinged USB flash drive.

; the design.of the Cruzer used to be the best.

If most of people who want to use a keychain agree this is a big design flow

Apparently not.  I think the big thing now days is connecting USB drives to lanyards whose loops fit the design.  For those who prefer keychains, that includes me, buying rings is not a big deal. 

Thanks SanDisk for the wonderful flashdrive however I think it is utterly ignorant not even mentioning to your customers who favored purchasing your flash drive and surely will have to carry it whether in their pocket, keychains or simply around their neck. I have all the information that came with my drive and there is not a thing said about the lanyard process or what it should include.

I am dissapointed and have commented in a few different forums already. YOUR CUSTOMER"S NEEDS COME FIRST!

PS: I had to thread stainless steel fencing wire thru the notch to use it on my lanyard. This took time and planning since I was determined to carry it with me to work daily and to remove it safely without leaving it in someone else’s PC

BAD IDEA SANDISK

" I have all the information that came with my drive and there is not a thing said about the lanyard process"

1. Buy a lanyard.

2. Inset the thin loop at the end of the lanyard thru the hole behind the metal peg at the corner of the USB drive.

3. Take the long wide end of the lanyard and pull it thru the thin loop sticking out of the USB drive.

Done.

:smiley:

Sorry that the time to write your posting wasn’t understood. A typical lanyard will not work.

SanDisk, your flash drives are GREAT however is not recieving much success other for than it’s name and peformance. I recently saw your newer Flashdrives being sold at BIG LOTS.   I am sure that this is because of the keyring issue.

With one of these flashdrives I tried inserting every key ring I could find. One result, using a long needle nose pliers to thread it thru

became the result pulling the ring holder in the flashdrive completely out of the casing. I was lucky to be able to return it however I had to get an exchange. This is after I had to make my case about the keyring flaw from SanDisk.   

TELL ME, who wants to go out of their way to contact WORLD EXPORT with an INQUIRY or to make a special trip to a jeweler to accomodate a specialized lanyard for a flashdrive?  I’ve taken enough of my time writing this review.

Please, stop making your flashdrives with this limiting feature. It’s proved to be a pain-END

" A typical lanyard will not work."

I disagree.  As an example:

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/t_10153_12605?tName=cell-phone-neck-lanyard.html

your posting wasn’t understood

Which part?

With one of these flashdrives I tried inserting every key ring I could find. One result, using a long needle nose pliers to thread it thru became the result pulling the ring holder in the flashdrive completely out of the casing.”

You are working at this WAY too hard.  The landyard in the above link can be connected with no tools, other than maybe a toothpick.

This has been driving me crazy for years. And for some stupid reason I keep buying these drives. Maybe because Costco has a good deal; Staples has a coupon. 

Anyway, I figured it out. Use a twist tie like the ones that keep your bread closed – not a zip tie as they ar not flexible enough. Make a hook with end of twist tie – it should maintain the hook shape. Hook it under the poorly placed/shaped bar and pull the other end with tweezers.

Best off to use twist ties coated in plastic as they will last longer than paper coated ones.

The lack of connectibility on these drives have stumped every one I ask: keymakers, Home Depot workers, Micro Center workers,  jewelers, people at parties (who say “Why would you buy that?”). 

Hope this helps someone.