Cruzer Glide Write Protected

I have a 16GB Cruzer Glide USB drive with around 1GB of data on it. I've been using it without fail for years, so I know it works with my computer setup (Custom built Windows 7). Plus, I have a second identical drive that also works with no issues.

However, today the drive wouldn't let me delete or edit files. It was write protected. I quickly made a backup of all my data on the drive.

After Googling, I attempted to repair the read only state using diskpart. After following some of the steps, the drive's attributes stated:

"Current Read Only State: Yes"

"Read Only: No"

etc...

Now the drive doesn't show up in WIndows Explorer and no repair utility I try is able to detect the drive at all. Only diskpart and disk management are able to pick it up.

How can I reformat this drive to get it back into a working state? I am willing to lose the data since I already made a backup, however I can't even seem to find a way to format it.

SanDisk Guru

Re: Cruzer Glide Write Protected

I think it may be time for a replacement.

http://kb.sandisk.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5232/~/return-material-authorization-(rma)-process

Ed
Important files = Backed up files
Highlighted

Re: Cruzer Glide Write Protected

First Method:

Start >> Run >> Diskpart (Hit Enter) You would see black Command Prompt Screen

Type 'List Disk' and Hit Enter

Type 'Select Disk #' (# is the corresponding number of USB drive obtained in above step

Type 'Clean' and Hit Enter

Type 'create partition primary' and Hit Enter

Type 'Active' and Hit Enter

Type 'format fs=fat32 quick' and Hit Enter

Type 'assign' and Hit Enter

Second method:

Change the Value data from 1 to 0 and click OK to save the change. Close Regedit and restart your computer. Connect your Sandisk USB flash drive or pen drive again, and you should find the write protection is removed by this write protection removal software and the device is no longer write protected.