Cruzer Glide 32GB is so slow......Why?

What is this entry level. How come the other make of usb 2.0 work faster and and Sandisk can’t? am I missing something?

Binopt

I know this is a little old but this drive is terrible compared to others and I agree SanDisk should have never released a product this terrible. Yes for small files 3MB isn’t bad but when most other drives as you say can average 18-20MB/sec for the same price, it is pitiful.

This by far is the worst $7 I spent on one and will never buy these again.

This by far is the worst $7 I spent

LOL!!  :laughing:  A quality drive costs about 10 times as much and that’s at WalMart!!  :wink:

LOL!!   A quality drive costs about 10 times as much and that’s at WalMart!! 

Ed

Actually no. The Microcenter drive is the same price and I get very good transfer rates. This is the only stick that I have owned where I can say the writes are so slow that I don’t want to use it.

hmmmm  Are you writing files to the SecureAccess vault?

I’m not using that software.

Take a look at the reviews on NewEgg.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA12K0C54549&SortField=0&SummaryType=0&PageSize=10&SelectedRating=-1&VideoOnlyMark=False&IsFeedbackTab=true#scrollFullInfo

Yes there aren’t a lot of reviews on this. Even on Slickdeals they warn users that these devices are slow compared to similar priced models.

Here are more on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Cruzer-Glide-Flash-SDCZ60-016G-B35/product-reviews/B007YX9O9O/ref=dp_db_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

SanDisk should refund all of the users that are complaining about these horrible drives or give us users something that transfers at 15-20MB/sec.

Reviews by users can be misleading.  For whatever reason people are quick to post negative comments and rare to post positive ones.

Maybe their USB ports are 1.x vs 2.x or 3.x.  Maybe they are using it for large files vs smaller ones.  Maybe their USB ports are set for Fast Removal rather than Performance. etc.

I have no idea what these particular drives are designed for but if I look for a USB Flash drive to backup my harddrive, for example, I’m going to look for something a little more expensive than a $7 drive. 

First of all, I have no idea what you guys are doing wrong, but I use TeraCopy Pro, and I can transfer full length bluray quality movies and several gb’s of music onto this drive in very very little time.

So far, it’s Great. I picked up 2 of these for $10 a piece.

Well like I said, I noticed a problem with this memory stick being slow to transfer larger files 400+ meg.

I ran a test of a 1GB file on various thumb drives

Glide 16GB 5:01

Team 8GB  2:28

Microcenter 4GB 3:16

PNY 16GB 2:05

I only ran the test once, using the same USB port and the same file. The PNY was purchased from BestBuy for $1 less than the Glide.  There isn’t anything I am doing wrong as every other USB stick is better in timing over the Glide. This stick is probably ok for most documents etc. but for large files the wait it too long.

@npolite wrote:

The PNY was purchased from BestBuy for $1 less than the Glide.  There isn’t anything I am doing wrong as every other USB stick is better in timing over the Glide.  

You want a faster drive, buy a faster drive. The cruzer is not built for performance. Others (more expensive) are.

You want a faster drive, buy a faster drive. The cruzer is not built for performance.

The issue isn’t just the performance, the issue also that it is not on par with other products for the same cost. At the performance this thing does it should only cost $3-4 not $10.

@npolite wrote:

You want a faster drive, buy a faster drive. The cruzer is not built for performance.

The issue isn’t just the performance, the issue also that it is not on par with other products for the same cost. At the performance this thing does it should only cost $3-4 not $10.

The same comparison could be made for cars. Your point?

The same comparison could be made for cars. Your point?

I guess you don’t really understand my point or are in denial and work for SanDisk.

I as a consumer expect that similar products perform close or the same as others. This is clearly not the case with this product from my benchmarks. If you don’t understand that the item really should cost half the price of the competition for the performance then all is lost. GM had the same mentality, “What’s your point that Honda makes better cars?” and I guess they found out the hard way when they went bankrupt.

@npolite wrote:

I guess you don’t really understand my point or are in denial and work for SanDisk.

No on both counts. The bottom line is the Cruzer is a low-end flash drive that is designed and built to hit a low price point. SanDisk has many others that are designed and built for faster speeds and better performance.

And I’m not the only one saying this:

http://forums.sandisk.com/t5/All-SanDisk-USB-Flash-Drives/Cruzer-Glide-32GB-is-so-slow-Why/m-p/288948/highlight/true#M3963

Similarly priced drives from competitors may indeed perform better. If so, buy them. Sales and profits are what controls what companies do. If they see they are losing sales to others that sell products that are better than theirs at the same price point or aren’t competitive, they will change or they will fail. That’s the free market system.

I understand that it is to meet a certain price point. What you don’t understand is that all of the other drives that I tested are cheaper and all write faster. This is the bottom of the barrel but the price isn’t compared to similar priced ones, the write speeds aren’t even close to the others that I tested with.

@npolite wrote:

_ What you don’t understand is that all of the other drives that I tested are cheaper and all write faster. _

I fully understand what you are saying. And as I said, if you feel other similarly (or lower) priced drives perform better than Sandisk’s, then buy them.

Totally agree with OP, and I don’t see how people in this thread can defend such poor performance compared to other brands at the same price. So what if it isn’t a performance version? I still expect to get the same performance as other ones at the same price. Really disappointed in the 64GB Sandisk I paid $27 for. Going to be getting a Patriot Stellar Boost XT which supports USB 3.0, has a micro USB port as well for smart phones, and is many times faster than the Sandisk model AT THE SAME PRICE. Really disappointed in Sandisk and will be avoiding their products in the future.

@Darktangent

Are you using the SecureAccess app?  Do other flash drives use it?  Do your files need to be secured?  What do you use to secure your files on the other flash drives?  Are you aware that you can use the SanDisk drive just like the other drives?  Do you know how to use the SanDisk drive without using SecureAccess?  If not, using a different flash drive might work best for you.

Does your machine’s AV security check writes to removable drives?  Another thing that impacts writes.

@mkacmarik wrote:

Why is it so slow?  (I am using Windows 7 64 Bit).

My problem too - thing is, I thought it was a USB3.0 drive…the packaging doesn’t say what it is on the front:

So I trusted the guy at Walmart who suggested (rightly I thought) that at the price point ($34.98 here in Canada), it could only be a USB3.0 drive…you can buy a 32gb 2.0 drive from other manufacturers for half the advertised price. So I bought the Cruzer Glide.

Big mistake, and no surprise - they refuse to take it back or allow an exchange for what I really wanted: USB 3.0.

What makes me especially angry is that I could’ve bought an equal size but lesser brand USB3.0 drive for less money…I paid extra for the sandisk name, now I’m stuck with an antiquated piece of ■■■■ that took a full seven minutes to transfer 2.25GB. 

Question: This is 2015 - why is this slug still offered for sale?

Better question: Why is there no mention of the USB format on the front of the package??

Question: This is 2015 - why is this slug still offered for sale?

Bigger question, why is WalMart selling it.  And why won’t they take it back.  Very poor customer service imo.

Second question, does your pc have USB 3.0 ports?  And are your USB ports configured for Safety or Performance?

1 Like