Cruzer 16gb Not Working in Car

I have several other flash drives full of music. Some are SanDisk; some are not. Some are larger capacity; some are smaller. Some even have a mixture of music, video, text and program files, but they all play music in my car stereo without any problem.

When I put this particular flash drive into my car stereo, it comes back with "Unit Error". The flash drive works fine on my computer, but it does nothing on my stereo.

All of the files are .mp3; they were all put onto the drive in the same manner that I always use. I have not reformatted the drive or fiddled with it at all. It did not come with pre-installed software.

About two years ago I had a different brand of flash drive (Kodak) that gave me a "unit error" message. I dropped it into my console and ignored it for a while, then one day I forgot that it did not work and I stuck it back in. It worked fine and never had a problem again. I did try that this time as well, but it has been over 3 months and I have not had any magical transformation from broken to fixed. I did not actually think it was likely that it would work anyway. I have no idea why it worked the first time.

Do you have any idea why it will not play music and/or what I might be able to do or install to make it work? Obviously, I will try almost anything.

Thanks,

Harriet

SanDisk User

Re: Cruzer 16gb Not Working in Car

I'm guessing that your car stereo is looking for a format system. Maybe NTFS or FAT 32. Try to double check this.

So should I reformat the flash drive and try again? Is there any reason to worry that reformatting it will make it worse? Right now it works in computers, but not the car stereo. Also, which system should I pick? NTFS or FAT32?

Thank you for your help.

Harriet

SanDisk Guru

"So should I reformat the flash drive and try again?"

I do NOT recommend formating it.  Especially since it works in your computers.  Address the problem, the car stereo.  What are it's requirements?  What does it's error msg mean?

The USB stick comes formated as FAT32 which is the most universally recognized format.  Maybe your car stereo only supports FAT16.  Maybe the car stereo has an option to support FAT32.  But can pretty much quarantee it doesn't support NTFS.  Maybe a connector in the car stereo's USB port is dusty or oxidized.

Check the car's manual for what options/requirements the car stereo has.  Check the car stereo's vendor's website for information.

Ed
Important files = Backed up files

Hi,

But could you please let me know how is it possible that 4gb sandisk curz is supported by the car system and 16 gb is not both having same configuration.

Having NTFS file system.

Please help

I have already formatted the PD lot of times. but it still unreadable.

Thanks

Gaurav Gandhi

SanDisk Guru

kumargaurav001 wrote:

Having NTFS file system.

Memory cards & flash drives up to 32GB come pre-formatted from the factory with FAT32. All car stereo systems I know of recognize and use this format as well. If you re-formatted it to NTFS, that could be your problem. Re-format it to FAT32.

I have just purchased a 16gb Cruzer car for my 2016 Kia Venga.

It was formatted to Fat32, but when I plug it into the car I get "No device Present"

I have an unbranded 32gb stick that works ok, both devices are formatted as Fat32, but the Cruzer wiil not work. 

The device package states for use in Car audio systems and should be 16gb but only formats at 14.5 gb.

Is there sometning on the card that I need to remove before it will work?

SanDisk Guru

[ Edited ]

@enfield250 wrote:

I have just purchased a 16gb Cruzer car for my 2016 Kia Venga.

It was formatted to Fat32, but when I plug it into the car I get "No device Present"

I have an unbranded 32gb stick that works ok, both devices are formatted as Fat32, but the Cruzer wiil not work. 

The device package states for use in Car audio systems and should be 16gb but only formats at 14.5 gb.

Is there sometning on the card that I need to remove before it will work?

Congratulations on your new (to you) Kia! I have a Sorento myself.

Your Cruzer flash drive might have come with "Secure Access" on it, which is a "vault" for encrypting & storing sensitve files/content. I suspect your car's head unit is seeing this and giving you the error msg.

I would re-format the card (FAT32) which will remove this & then you can re-load the drive with your favorite tunes. Everything should work as it should after.

Yes, eliminating the Secure Acess files will free up a bit of space, but you will never see the full 16GB of space due to mathmatical differences explained here.

If you have any other problems, let us know. Smiley Happy

Highlighted
SanDisk Guru

I'm pretty sure simply deleting the unneeded files and folders is adequate.  Hold the Shift key when doing it so Windows doesn't create a recycle bin folder.  No need to format which might change the drive's cluster alignment.

Ed
Important files = Backed up files
SanDisk Guru

@Ed_P wrote:

I'm pretty sure simply deleting the unneeded files and folders is adequate.  Hold the Shift key when doing it so Windows doesn't create a recycle bin folder.  No need to format which might change the drive's cluster alignment.

Yeah, that might be simpler & better.