Crippled flashdrives

Afternoon All:

This will be a fairly long thread for I need to include a lot of info. Hope you’ll indulge me.
About a week ago, I noticed that a flashdrive suddenly started 'writing" at less than half the speed it previously had.Went to “net” and a few forums and after many attempts at restoring the drive, all failed and it was concluded the drive was dying. I was willing to accept that until yesterday when 2 more of my drives started doing the same. Ahmm…this isn’t a coincidence. Something is causing these drives failure… well, they really aren’t failing, but are corrupted as opposed to their original abilities. I have run a series of 'corrective" measures on the first drive that started acting up. I’ve only run virus/malware scans on all 3 drives and all came up negative. If you’d like to know what I’ve done in regards to “repairing” the first drive, then please request it for it’s an extensive list. So, here’s what I’m hoping to accomplish; #1. Identify and correct whatever is causing these drives slow writing speed. #2. Restore these drives to their original specs. You need to know that these drives aren’t _old _by any standards. Have never had any problems with these drives until they suddenly started writing at an exceeding slow speed. OK, I’ll tender the specs:
[Kingston DT101 16Gb 2.0~original 7.4+Mb/s] [Sandisk Cruzer 8Gb 3.0 ~ original 14.6+Mb/s] [Sandisk Cruzer Glide 3.0 256Gb~ original 16.8-21+Mb/s] (( Dell optiplex 9020; Intel i5)) ((Windows 7 enterprise))
The drives in question do not write any faster than 3.6Mb/s at best and the Kingston @ 1.8-2.1Mb/s. If there’s info that you need and I haven’t provided, please request. And lastly, please DON"T insult my intelligence by saying “they are all dying/dead; just throw them away and get new ones”. If that is your attitude, don’t bother responding!!!
Thanx:
Rick

Do these problems exist in other pcs?

Are these drives plugged directly into the pc or into a USB hub?

Have your security settings changed?  Are you testing every byte written to a removable drive for a virus?

Have you run a CHKDSK on the drives?

RE: _ ED_P _

Yes.  Yes. No.  Yes( * Explanation needed)  Yes.

* I ran a virus check on the Kingston shortly after I discovered it’s malady, and the files on it…which game back “negative”. No, have not run “file” check on the other drives, but scanned them for maleware, (sorta the same thing (?))and they were “negative”???

_ THANX: _

Rick

If you are running WIndows and automatically accept updates than your security setting could change.

If you are running an antivirus and automatically accept updates than your security settings could changes.

Check Windows and see if removable drives are set for Performance or Safety.

Not concerned with malware on the flashdrive, concerned with the impact things like security settings can have on writes to them.

Read with interest :

Sandisk ultra 256 gb - writing speed 0 MB/S randomly (one link you provided)

Noticed there were no replies regarding  the restoration of the drive. I have the exact drive with the same problem. As stated In my thread starter, I’m seeking to restore the drive. Is there some way I could query the techs at Sandisk? Seems there’s a problem with these drives and it seems it’s at the technical level and thus, a problem Sandisk should address!(?)

In answer to your question, to my knowledge, the settings have not altered. All the drives are set at 'Better Performance" and are always removed in a safe and proper manner.

Do note " always removed in a safe and proper manner." is not the same as using the Windows Safe Removal function, which for drives “set at 'Better Performance” is a necessity.

Re : Ed

Your response was irrelevant. Let’s stay with the 'spirit" of the the thread. Repairing or restoring the drives in question and seeking what may have caused that anomoly.

Thanx: