Can not open file for write F:\SanDiskSecureAccess.............

Can not open file for write F:\SanDiskSecureAccess Vault{7a5f25a6-845f-4470-b799-c6895e63ef09}.dat, Error: The directory or file cannot be created.

Got this error message when I was adding files from my HD to newly applied Version 2 Cruzer.:grumpycat:

Does happen on SecureAccess only? That would be needed to further isolate the issue.

Yes older Sandisk drives that do not have any password or secureaccess can swap files back and forth all day no problem. Is there a way NOT to use this function and have unprotected files?

Is there a way NOT to use this function and have unprotected files?

Yes, Windows Explorer should allow you to copy and pastes files to it from your hard drive.

@ed_p wrote:

Is there a way NOT to use this function and have unprotected files?

Yes, Windows Explorer should allow you to copy and pastes files to it from your hard drive.

Thanks Ed-I hate to ask could you give me a step by step-how to-or post a link. I really think it’s aWin7 issue. I can swap on my XP no probs.

I have the problem on XP. Using it on W7 caused a complete shutdown.

…and the problem is not fixed by a reboot. I think the app may have run out of space in the File Access Table, or whatever it’s called these days.

Really? Whoa! It would be nice if there was a simple fix.

Yes, it has to do with the number of files. I archived my folders into zip files and backed them up to the SD with no trouble.

I think we are talking about different problems in this thread.

1.  The only app that can read and write to a SecureAccess vault is SecureAccess.  If you want to update a file in the vault you must use SecureAccess to extract the file to a writable drive, usually the C: drive, update it with whatever app created the file, then use SecureAccess to write it back to the vault.

2.  It is possible to read and write files to the USB drive outside of the SecureAccess app. ie use the USB drive like a normal USB drive.  Windows Explorer can be used as can any other app that reads and writes to USB drives.  The USB files won’t be secure but not all files need to be secure.

3.  Some security apps may prevent writing to USB drives and some may even prevent the drive from being detected on the system.  This is usually seen in businesses and other controlled environments.

4.  Large files can sometimes not be written to USB drives if the files are larger than 4 GB and the USB drive is formated as FAT32 which is the default for USB drives 128 GB and smaller.

5.  Some SanDisk USB drives have a manufacturing defect which triggers the drive to go into read only mode in certain situations.  There is no way to repair a drive that encounters this problem.  It must be returned to SanDisk for a free replacement.

hth

Thanks Ed,

Sorry for the very late reply. I think point 4. from you is my issue. My Sandisk drives range from 4-32GB. I do have quite a few files bigger than 4GB. It was my limited (common sense) understanding that if I had say a 32GB drive a 4GB file should fit on and transfer to it. I guess the workaround will be to transfer contents of big file one folder at a time. Which will take longer than I wanted. But at least they will be secured.

I’m still trying to understand the updating process. Does a flash have to be empty before the update-new version will work?

I have the same problem with SecureAccess.  I loaded about 14 gigs into the 64 gig SecureAccess Vault and suddenly started getting the error message.  Sure wish I’d never bought SanDisk.  Now avoiding the SecureAccess altogether and just loading files onto the thumb drive.  I have no confidence that taking the thumb drive back to Best Buy and getting a new one will fix my problem.

I have no confidence that taking the thumb drive back to Best Buy and getting a new one will fix my problem.

I agree.  The problem IMHO is SecureAccess was not designed to handle large files especially on older slower machines yet it gets invoked every use.  If you have something important; your stock portfolio, your will, your bank account numbers, by all means use SecureAccess to safe guard them.  But if you have a bunch of family photos, favorite videos, favorite music files, etc, store them on the flash drive using Windows Explorer, NOT SecureAccess.

Thanks Ed. I understand now-FINALLY!! I was also able to update to the new version. Thank you for taking the time to explain Secure Access!