Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
michaelshort

64GB flashdrive unusable in Windows 7 64bit

I just purchased a 64gb sandisk cruzer flashdrive from Best Buy.  Plugged into a Windows 7 64bit laptop or desktop, I get a message that the drive needs to be formatted.  Formatting fails, and the drive is then unusable.

Any drive updates needed?

thanks

michaelshort

Re: 64GB flashdrive unusable in Windows 7 64bit

Forgot to mention, when the system goes to format the drive, it shows the disk as 64 MB.  Same whether the quick format menu or the Admin Tool Config Management format option.

SanDisk Guru
drlucky

does this happen on multiple computers? if so the drive is bad and would need to be replaced. 

Filbert_Cobb

I have same problem, same message. Sandisk 64GB works OK in desktop Win7-64, but not in new l/t Win7-64. I haven't tried reformatting yet.

There is no problem at all with a Cruzer micro 2GB that I also use

SanDisk Guru
Ed_P

I haven't tried reformatting yet."

I assume you are referring to the l/t that doesn't support the flashdrive that works in the Windows 7 desktop.  Before reformating the hdd I recommend partitioning it into 3 partitions.  The C: drive for the OS, the D: drive for all your User Documents files and an E: drive for the Windows 7 backups.  When you reinstall Windows see if the 32 bit version is an option.  Else you might consider a Linux variation.  That way your flashdrive will work on the l/t.

Formating a flashdrive proven to work on a pc as a fix for getting it to work in a l/t is as useful as soaking it in water.

Have you checked the l/t's security settings and AV?

Ed
Filbert_Cobb

You assume wrongly. I have the same problem as the o/p - the message from l/t Win7-64 is that I need to format the Sandisk 64GB. Every other USB device I have plugged into the l/t (purchased new 3 days ago) works faultlessly, with no security prompts

So I won't be partitioning any hdds, dumping Win7-64 for something else or Linux. I expected the Sandisk ultra to work flawlessly straight out of the box, just like every other stick I have used since they looked like highlighter pens. If it won't work at all after formatting, as experienced by the o/p, what then?

SanDisk Guru
Ed_P

"If it won't work at all after formatting, as experienced by the o/p, what then?"

Then maybe it won't work on the desktop machine anymore.  At which point you will then need to replace the flashdrive and start over.

Are you sure the desktop is a 64 bit version of Windows 7 and not a 32 bit version?

What files, if any, are currently on the flashdrive?  When you remove the flashdrive from the desktop machine do you use Windows Safely Remove function or do you just yank it out?

Ed
Filbert_Cobb

At which point you will then need to replace the flashdrive and start over.
I think it cost me £65 - I won't be replacing it. Not with the same model, given my experience, that of the o/p and reviewers out there. And probably not with the same brand.

Are you sure the desktop is a 64 bit version of Windows 7 and not a 32 bit version?
It always has been for the past year. Sony say so, so does System information

What files, if any, are currently on the flashdrive?
33.7GB of every kind of file I have used over the last 21 years

When you remove the flashdrive from the desktop machine do you use Windows Safely Remove function?
Always.

SanDisk Guru
Ed_P

Well, IMO, if the flashdrive works in the Win 7 64bit desktop but not in the Win 7 64bit l/t the problem is with the l/t not the flashdrive.  It could be a Windows 7 setting or one of the l/t's 30 trial security apps causing the problem. 

You can format the flashdrive if you want but other than loosing 21 yrs worth of files I don't think it will solve your problem.

If you find a solution let us know.

Ed
joolian

Download 64bit ubuntu and run without installing.  You will be able to format the drive from there.  I have done this and it works.