64GB flashdrive unusable in Windows 7 64bit

I just purchased a 64gb sandisk cruzer flashdrive from Best Buy.  Plugged into a Windows 7 64bit laptop or desktop, I get a message that the drive needs to be formatted.  Formatting fails, and the drive is then unusable.

Any drive updates needed?

thanks

Forgot to mention, when the system goes to format the drive, it shows the disk as 64 MB.  Same whether the quick format menu or the Admin Tool Config Management format option.

does this happen on multiple computers? if so the drive is bad and would need to be replaced. 

I have same problem, same message. Sandisk 64GB works OK in desktop Win7-64, but not in new l/t Win7-64. I haven’t tried reformatting yet.

There is no problem at all with a Cruzer micro 2GB that I also use

I haven’t tried reformatting yet."

I assume you are referring to the l/t that doesn’t support the flashdrive that works in the Windows 7 desktop.  Before reformating the hdd I recommend partitioning it into 3 partitions.  The C: drive for the OS, the D: drive for all your User Documents files and an E: drive for the Windows 7 backups.  When you reinstall Windows see if the 32 bit version is an option.  Else you might consider a Linux variation.  That way your flashdrive will work on the l/t.

Formating a flashdrive proven to work on a pc as a fix for getting it to work in a l/t is as useful as soaking it in water.

Have you checked the l/t’s security settings and AV?

You assume wrongly. I have the same problem as the o/p - the message from l/t Win7-64 is that I need to format the Sandisk 64GB. Every other USB device I have plugged into the l/t (purchased new 3 days ago) works faultlessly, with no security prompts

So I won’t be partitioning any hdds, dumping Win7-64 for something else or Linux. I expected the Sandisk ultra to work flawlessly straight out of the box, just like every other stick I have used since they looked like highlighter pens. If it won’t work at all after formatting, as experienced by the o/p, what then?

“If it won’t work at all after formatting, as experienced by the o/p, what then?”

Then maybe it won’t work on the desktop machine anymore.  At which point you will then need to replace the flashdrive and start over.

Are you sure the desktop is a 64 bit version of Windows 7 and not a 32 bit version?

What files, if any, are currently on the flashdrive?  When you remove the flashdrive from the desktop machine do you use Windows Safely Remove function or do you just yank it out?

At which point you will then need to replace the flashdrive and start over.
I think it cost me £65 - I won’t be replacing it. Not with the same model, given my experience, that of the o/p and reviewers out there. And probably not with the same brand.

Are you sure the desktop is a 64 bit version of Windows 7 and not a 32 bit version?
It always has been for the past year. Sony say so, so does System information

What files, if any, are currently on the flashdrive?
33.7GB of every kind of file I have used over the last 21 years

When you remove the flashdrive from the desktop machine do you use Windows Safely Remove function?
Always.

Well, IMO, if the flashdrive works in the Win 7 64bit desktop but not in the Win 7 64bit l/t the problem is with the l/t not the flashdrive.  It could be a Windows 7 setting or one of the l/t’s 30 trial security apps causing the problem. 

You can format the flashdrive if you want but other than loosing 21 yrs worth of files I don’t think it will solve your problem.

If you find a solution let us know.

Download 64bit ubuntu and run without installing.  You will be able to format the drive from there.  I have done this and it works.

I’ve had similar issues with Win7 and 64gb flash drive - Comes up fine about half the time.  Sometimes just plugging it into another laptop running ubuntu natively, unplugging it, the plugging into Win7 laptop fixes the problem.  Seems to be a state the flash gets into that windows just doesn’t like.

–Yet another frustrated customer

I suspect the plugging/unplugging without doing Safe Removal is screwing up the File Allocation Table.

I just bought 5 Cruzer Fit 32gb USB Flash Drives. The first time I plug it into my Win7 64bit it works perfect. The second time I plug it into the same machine it does not. I plug it into a Win7 32bit it works perfect everytime. Is there a firmware update for the flash drive?

The first time I plug it into my Win7 64bit it works perfect.”

What are the odds the firmware changed between the 1st time use and the 2nd time use?

What are the odds the 64-bit Windows system changed between the 1st time use and the 2nd time use?

What are the odds the 64-bit Windows system’s security system changed between the 1st time use and the 2nd time use?

it works perfect.”

What exactly does “it” mean?  You plug it in and can access it with Windows Explorer, can drag & drop files and folders on it or something else.  A main difference between a 64-bit OS and a 32-bit OS is how programs and apps run.  Are you running any apps from the flashdrive and if so do they have names?

I am also having issues.

My SANDISK 64 GB cruzer doesnt work – only intermittently. I have done the driver re install - but still its faulty.

Any ideas anybody?

I also notice the drive light flashing and the computer doesnt see it at all now after I did a format.

Please help!

thanks.

This help?

http://forums.sandisk.com/t5/All-SanDisk-USB-Flash-Drives/Windows-7-Explorer-not-showing-drive-while-it-shows-in-computer/m-p/289344#M3992

Having exactly the same issues with a new 16GB Cruzer Edge bought from PC World yesterday.  Not completely recognised by Win 7 64bit running on a Toshiba Satellite.  Sometimes appears as a drive, sometimes not.  When it does appear and you try and use it you get a Media Not Present error. Same thing in Drive Management, there’s an allocation but with Media Not Present in the detail.  It works fine on other equipment.  Never had this problem with any other stick.

From the number of forum entries here and elsewhere there is a major compatibility problem with Win 7 64.  I suppose I will have to take it back as unfit for purpose but that entails a round trip of 50odd miles!  You can take it SanDisk is off my supplier list! (and my Christmas List!!)

I have the same problem with a Cruzer Edge 32 GB on Windows 7 x64 When I insert the key, the drive is shown in windows explorer but when I try to access it, appears empty. drivers are ok, I have re-installed it so many times … On vista win32 the key works well. Is anyone in SanDisk taking care of this issue that has been detected from many users ? I think I never will buy again other sandisk usb keys … Thanks for the attention

The drive works in one pc but not the other so the drive must be the problem, not the pc. Really??  Maybe the version of Windows is the problem.  Maybe the Windows security settings aren’t the same.  Maybe the apps used on the two pcs are different and one doesn’t play well with others.  Maybe one of the pcs is plugged in and the other is on a weak battery.  Maybe the USB ports aren’t the same, USB2 vs USB 3.

Nah, you’re probably right, its the flashdrive’s problem.  Stupid flashdrive.  Hopefully someone at SanDisk writes to Microsoft about their Windows 7 problem.  Or to the pc vendors who install 64bit systems on their 32bit hardware needlessly.

:wink: