16GB Cruzer USB unable to make drive writable

If your ISO files are larger than 4GB they won’t fit on a FAT32 formated device which is what all USB drives come formated as.

Windows 7 has a tendency of adding things to Libraries.  And the Libraries have a Share With option which is new and I think defaults to Read Only.  See if your ISO file is noted in one of Win 7’s Libries; Documents, Music, Pictures or Videos,

And from another post these steps may help:

And from a friend named jaclaz :

Can you:

1. try that same stick on another PC
  2. try another stick on that same PC
  3. try that same stick on the same or another PC with another OS (maybe a Linux LiveCD)

This would exclude *any*

**OS**

or

**PC**

specific issues and pinpoint the issue “inside” the stick.

With the Cruzer plugged in open a My Computer window and RIGHT click

on the device’s drive letter.  Then click on Properties and report what

File System is shown.<br>

To verify the device is read only, in Windows open a Command Prompt and execute:

ECHO Hi, I am echoed to a text file\>?:\mynicefile.txt

replacing the ? with the cruser’s drive letter.  Post the results shown in the Command Window.

Windows 7 has a new function called Libraries to which it can classify things automatically as Documents, Music, Pictures or Video.  And within the Libraries there is a column called Share With.  Check to see if your ISO file on the USB drive is a part of your Win 7 Libraries.  If so use the Share With function to set it to Read/Write.  See if that helps.

I had a USB drive get caught in that senario a while back, how I have no idea, but clicking on the Read/Write option made the device writable again.