new SSD firmware coming - 5.0.4 already released by some manufacturers

new SSD firmware coming - 5.0.4 already released by b*w*n - hopefully soon sandisk releases theirs too :slight_smile:

I hope you’re not trolling us. Our emotions are fragile :frowning:

Don’t hold your breath waiting for Sandisk!!!

Santa is coming, too.  I saw them putting out Christmas decorations at Walmart.

At least I know for sure Christmas is coming, this firmware I’m not sure about.

Sandforce released 5.0.5 for this controller a couple of weeks ago.  Rumors are that 5.0.4 has issues.   I guess this means SanDisk testing is back to square one.  And, we have at least another month of waiting ahead.

i am guessing, in Oct sf will release 5.0.6, then sandisk’s validation would cost one month more again.

so we won’t see any new firmware
:smileyvery-happy:

The only recourse we have @ this point is to start making Better Business Complaints and maybe some Legal Eagle

will initiate a Law Suite against Sandisk. It is amazing that no one has to this point!!!

Sandisk continues to knowingly sell a defective Product and is doing nothing to correct the Units they have

sold. Anyone who know a Good Class Action Shark run this situation past them.

I am sure when look into the situation they may see a big Payday.

We probably will see pennies,but a Law Suite may get them off their butts and start doing something.

I contacted Technical Support and the response was something along the lines of it isn’t a TRIM issue that is causing slowdown. The technical support person said it was due to repeated benchmarking and/or drive capacity being almost full. What a bullcrap and scripted answer. SanDisk is in denial. Last SanDisk SSD I buy.

I believe the link to file a complaint to the BBB is here (correct me if I’m wrong):

https://www.bbb.org/sanjose/complaint/new/210840

“I contacted Technical Support and the response was something along the lines of it isn’t a TRIM issue that is causing slowdown. The technical support person said it was due to repeated benchmarking and/or drive capacity being almost full. What a bullcrap and scripted answer. SanDisk is in denial. Last SanDisk SSD I buy.”

Benchmarking and filling up the drive slows it down because TRIM is broken.

@3dee wrote:

I believe the link to file a complaint to the BBB is here ( correct me if I’m wrong ):

https://www.bbb.org/sanjose/complaint/new/210840

The Better Business Bureau have offices nationwide. The link you provided is only for Santa Clara County in California. Completely worthless to anyone outside of this geographical location.

Besides, this is not an issue that the BBB would be of any assistance with.

You would be better served to call back to Tech Support and get a different service rep. If you’re offered the same canned response ask politely to speak to someone higher up (superivsor, level 2 service rep, etc.) and escalate the situation until you receive intelligent and helpful assistance. This is what they are being paid for. Make them earn their salary.

The whole idea of tech support is to prevent you from wasting the engineer’s time.

They know what the issue is, we know what the issue is, there really isn’t a lot to talk about anyway. If sandisk wanted to release a firm time commitment, they would have.

https://www.bbb.org/consumer-complaints/file-a-complaint/find-business/name/Sandisk/ Choose SanDisk Corporation. 

I have filed a complaint on BBB before and have had very positive results so I wouldn’t say it is completely worthless. Won’t know unless we try. Filing a complaint is completely free and doesn’t cost anything (but our time). SanDisk Corporation has had BBB accreditation for a while now so I’m sure a huge influx of complaints about their product/service can’t be good for their rating. 

“The technical support person said it was due to repeated benchmarking and/or drive capacity being almost full. What a bullcrap and scripted answer.”

I can say that I ran ATTO on my disk twice when it was new.  Satisfied by the benchmarks PLUS the lightning-fast response of Windows, I was happy to the extreme.  I didn’t run a benchmark again until a few months later, *after* I began to feel more and more dissatisfied with the speed of Windows.  So I ran the benchmarks and was shocked at how bad the numbers had become.  The drive is NOT close to full and I certanly didn’t benchmark it to death.  So they’re clearly full of something.

Frankly, even IF you ran benchmarks again and again, where in the warranty is it written that this is a problematic practice?  Ah, behold the new “extreme drive”, but be sure you ONLY use it for A, B, and C or else it will run like ■■■■.  Yeah, like I would have EVER considered buying such a drive

Benchmarking a drive very often will cause the issue of TRIM not being as efficient to show earlier than it would if you did not benchmark often. 

If you are looking to get back to out of box performance you would need to create an image secure erase the drive then restore the image. Bad_Machine has a very detailed post on how to get full performance back as well as what limitations are currency with TRIM. It is working just not as efficient as it could be. I would encourage you to read both as there is a lot of good information and test results in them. 

If you have a lot of idle time GC should help in erasing the unused sectors but this would not be in real time. 

That said I too am waiting on a new firmware and have talked with sandisk support. They told me they know of these issues and are in the process of qualifying the firmware. They did not have a data for when it would be released. Barring any issues that they may have found it should be coming soon I would think since some other manufacturers recently released 5.0.4. 

drlucky,

My, you are the Dreamer!

They have been saying that for the last three weeks!!!

If they have an Engineering Group(with Sandisk it could be a high school group project) assigned to the Firmware Release they would have a deadline & release date.

Both my Father & Brother are Engineers and they have never worked on a project without a deadline.

That is the nature of the Beast!!!

No one directing Engineers sends them a project with  “let us know when it is ready”???

If you do something like that you never get a finished product.

Very good point, jjd. In the professional world there is a thing called ‘deadlines’, if they aren’t met people are usually reprimanded or fired. Maybe SanDisk is more of a casual company, no deadlines, just laying back drinking Long Island Ice Teas with those fancy umbrellas in them.

The only thing a company like Sandisk will understand is the bottom line, show them with your wallet, don’t buy anymore SanDisk products, make sure everyone you know stays away from their products as well and start online campaigns against the company. Make sure everyone on your twitter/facebook stays away from their products and make sure you let them know what you’re doing.

It also helps to write customer reviews and rate accordingly on sites (such as Amazon or Newegg) about the broken TRIM problem and SanDisk’s inaction. Most people don’t check the forums until a problem is encountered. 

I am sorry, but I simply can not understand you impatient guys.

We are talking about a firmware for a mass storage device. One small little glitch or bug may cause a total desaster - or better a total data loss.

Comparing that with a little bit of speed you can gain I can understand that SanDisk is letting other companies and users do the beta test of the 5.0.4 base firmware.

By that logic, SanDisk was doing a beta test when they released 5.0.1 and they have no plans to stop the test.

If they are really committed to making sure the drives function correctly, they never would have released the Sandisk Extreme series.