Slow to wake from sleep

Just saw this on the apple forums. Has anyone tried updating to OSX 10.9.4? Do you still have issues waking from sleep? It seems some updates are applicable to this wake from sleep issue.

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1754 

"The OS X Mavericks 10.9.4 Update is recommended for all Mavericks users. It improves the stability, compatibility, and security of your Mac.

This update:

Fixes an issue that prevented some Macs from automatically connecting to known Wi-Fi networks
Improves the reliability of wake from sleep
Includes Safari 7.0.5
For detailed information about this update, please visit: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT6281

For detailed information about the security content of this update, please visit:http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1222

SHA1 = 339e138b1cf84e76dbc310aa569b5d1669947403"

10.9.4 didn’t solve the problem for me. I’ve changed my laptop to only use hibernate for sleep. I figure if I’m going to wait for wake I may as well not burn battery while asleep.

sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 25 # To hibernate to disk only.

sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 3 # The default “safe sleep” for portables with sleep + hibernate as a backup.

At this point, I’m pretty hesitant to buy future SSDs from Sandisk given the lack of movement on this issue :frowning:

What is the model number of the mac you are using? 

same problem here :confused:

using macbook pro early 2011

with 8gb ram

2.2ghz i7

sandisk ssd extreme pro 480gb

it’s only a week old and i’m having this problem

always a 20-30 seconds delay when waking up

i’m on mountain lion 10.8.5 … did a clean install and it didn’t fix the issue.

Join the sad club. The only suggestion is a workaround, I am using hibernate instead of sleep, which for me (haswell, UEFI + Win8.1 on Dell) halves the amount of time it takes to come on (somewhere between 5 and 10 seconds.)

P

so appreantly i had the extreme II and not the Pro. 

did someone experience the problem with the Sandisk Extreme PRO ?

model number: SDSSDXPS-480G-G25

MBP 15" late 2011 i7 2,2gHz 8 GB

Mac OS 10.9.4

SSD Extreme II 480

• takes 20-30 seconds to wake after sleep. Same syptoms as earlier in this topic. Did many various procedures as described in forums, no luck… Following thread hope to get wiser…

I got an answer from SanDisk support:

“The Extreme II SSD is shipped with latest firmware and there is no upgrade needed. The Slow wake-up from low power state is a known issue in the Mac OS 10.9 and it has been addressed in the latest update of OS Yosemite. Please verify that SMART status for the SSD in Disk Utility is “verified” and that you are not facing any other performance issue except slow wake-up.”

• no other suggested solution or work-around, just to wait for the next OS…

…but I’m currently testin the Yosemite BETA and unfortunately the problem is still there…

Just upgraded to public beta 2 of Yosemite, and still having the sleep issue. Did Sandisk support actually say it was supposed to be fixed the current public beta, or is it planned for the next release?

IMO

• Only this SSD exhibits this problem in both Windows and OSx, making it unlikely to be fixed by an OS upgrade.

• This appears to be a problem with the SSD; related to DevSleep on the SATA link.

• Sandisk are aware of the problem and have been since Jan 2014.

• They have not issued a firmware fix, which suggests to me it is something related to silicon, like the serdes.

Remember this is just my opinion…

Peter

" it has been addressed in the latest update of OS Yosemite. " they said. Now I bought this disk a week ago and I’m gonna return it, get money back and head for another brand. Any suggestions? Aiming at a Samsung SSD 840 EVO…

I suspect that is just ■■■■/FUD. Read the thread, occurs unders windows too.

Good luck with your SSD purchase.

Peter

I know… yes, it’s an SanDisk issue. Unpatient…, just bought myself a Samsung, just about to install it :slight_smile:

best / Adrian

Just upgraded to public beta 3 (14A361p). Still has the same problem. Seems very unlikely to me that it’s fixed, otherwise it would have rolled out in this update.

I have the same issue on my macbook pro 13 early 2011. Both on Yosemite and Mavericks. I have two different SSD’s, and I had to install OS X on my Crucial M500 instead of the Sandisk Extreme II 480 GB. SanDisk, this is your problem! 

Looks like they finailly released a FW for the slow to wake from sleep issue

http://kb.sandisk.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/16631 

From the release notes

-Fixed an issue that caused occasional delay of up to 30 seconds before normal operation when resuming from sleep mode in MacBook Pro system with Extreme II."

Wow, I’m amazed they’ve actually released a fix for this! I hope it works.

Has anyone been able to get it to apply? I tried both the 64 and 32 bit ISOs, but they both fail with a generic “Firmware Update failed” message after selecting the device.

Good news everyone!

I pulled the drive into my desktop, and the firmware update was able to apply there. Perhaps there’s something with Mac EFI that they didn’t test for.

Been running the new firmware for a day, and waking from sleep is near instant - faster than I can open the lid. Hopefully this update fixes the issues others were having on non-Apple hardware too!

That is excellent news! Currently the update is bizarrely marked as for MACs only; so I have raised a ticket to find out when Windoze will be supported. Anyway, thanks for updating us.

Regards,

Peter