SanDisk Extreme SSD Firmware R211m download for for MacBook and MacBook Pros based on NVidia MCP79 chipset

@phased wrote:

hi all, 

I’m running a mid-2009 17" MBP. Have purchased my extreme SSD 240GB - ready for installation now.

first of all, I understand the firmware upgrade is best done before installing or cloning the OS - has anyone had issues doing it afterwards? (either way, I will of course have a backup.)

It does not really matter when you do it. It can be before or after install of OS. If you clone make sure your cloning software supports 4k disk alignment. If you have not installed the OS yet it would be easiest to do the FW upgrade first. 

I also understand the firmware upgrade will not work if connected externally - as in, the SSD needs to be connected directly to the motherboard through the SATA in order to upgrade.

Correct it will need to be connected internally. 

please correct me if I’m wrong on those points.

must the update be done with a CD/DVD of the saved image file or is there another safe way of doing this? Perhaps a USB flash drive?

You can put it on a USB drive but since the SSD toolkit is not supported on MAC you will need a third party program like Power ISO (not sure if there is a MAC version of Power ISO either but that is the type of app you would need)

also, if the CD/DVD option is the only reliable one, what does it mean by ‘burn the saved image file to a CD/DVD’ - is the saved image file simply the enzo-r211m-240gb.iso file I downloaded? or do I need to extract something in particular from that file?

The ISO is all you need do not extract anything. Just burn the ISO as a disk image. Instructions can be found at the link below for MAC. 

Burning disk image in mac

many thanks!

Make sure you have one of the MAC with Nvidia MCP79 Chipset before using this firmware. This firmware is only for computers running that SATA chipset. It will lock the SSD to SATA 2 speed and currently this can’t be reversed. 

Check SATA chipset MAC (this is for checking firmware of SSD but SATA chipset info is at the top above SATA link speed)

If you do not have Nvidia MCP79 chipset use the regular manual firmware upgrade instructions and ISO posted at the top of this board.