SanDisk Extreme® II SSD

All well described but I don’t totally agree with all of the following:

@slotmonsta wrote:

Low Power Consumption for Quiet and Cool Operation

The SanDisk Extreme II SSD uses much less energy than a traditional HDD**, placing less of a burden on your computer’s power supply and cooling system. This SSD also runs more quietly than a hard drive, reducing your computer’s total noise output.

It is quiet, it is cooler, but on a MBP 2012, its overall power consuption is more than a regular HDD because, while it’s supposed to be sleeping, it’s collecting garbage.  I explain further:

I installed the Extreme II 240 in my MBP 2012 and was very disappointed that the built in garbage collection does its job while the computer is supposed to be sleeping, thereby decreasing battery life drastically.  I can pretty well confirm that this is the case, because I called Sandisk’s Tech Support and he explained to me how and when the garbage collection takes place.  One such case in which I really noticed the battery life decrease is when my computer had 30% battery left when I closed the lid without shutting it off.  The next morning it was at 0% and off.     I wish Sandisk would have left the job of collecting garbage to a third party software developer such as Trim Enabler to enable the task on Apple computers.  If anybody knows of any way to make garbage collection work while I’m working and not while the computer is supposed to be sleeping and saving battery, PLEASE: let me know.  If I can’t get recommendations soon, I will have to part ways with this SSD. 

Here are the specs of my computer for reference sake:

13" MBP June 2012

OSX 10.8.4

8GB RAM

240GB Sandisk Extreme II SSD