SMART values, disk usage

Hi,

I bought my Sandisk SSD 128GB disk ten days ago.

In Sandisk SSD Toolkit in SMART section I have values:

AE Unexpected Power Loss Count 100 0 31
EA % of Total Write/Erase Count (BC Blocks) 100 0 22

Is this normal usage after 10 days? I’m using computer for normal work - internet, editor, ICQ etc.

What will happend when values will be 100?

Full SMART:

05 Reallocated Sector Count 100 0 0 N/A
09 Power On Hours 100 0 157 N/A
0C Power Cycle Count 100 0 86 N/A
AB Program Fail Count 100 0 0 N/A
AC Erase Fail Count 100 0 0 N/A
AD N/A 100 0 2 N/A
AE Unexpected Power Loss Count 100 0 31 N/A
BB Reported Uncorrectable Errors 100 0 0 N/A
E6 % of Total Write/Erase Count 100 0 6 N/A
E8 Available Reserve Space 100 5   Pass
EA % of Total Write/Erase Count (BC Blocks) 100 0 22 N/A
F1 LBA Sectors Written 100 0 548296832 N/A
F2 LBA Sectors Read 100 0 270115321 N/A

100 is the current value 0 is the threshold and 31 and 22 are your raw values. Total write/erase count is fine no need to even worry about that number. 

The unexpected power loss count seems a bit high for 10 day of usage but if the PC is not being shut down correctly it will be counted here. This is not necessarily an indication the drive is failing. 

The value you want to look at for drive health will be available reserve space. If that trips to fail the drive should be replaced. 

Hello,

I’m looking for exact explanation of the mentioned SMART-Values, and if does a certain value has an effect on lifetime of the specified SSD.

Is it possible to post the table together with the explanation in an extra column?

Especially the effect of increasing Total write/erase count values (both of them).

Thank you

Mario.

Hi,

if this is the official SanDisk support forum, could somebody of the staff please post the applicable smart attributes as well as a suitable explanation of the values. Please understand that this is especially important for Linux users due to the fact that the standard disks are at the moment not included in the database of the smartmontools.

Otherwiese I would like to ask for a short explanation, why this infomation is not open.

Many thanks in advance for your reply.

Best regards,

Mark

Dear SanDisk-Staff,

meanwhile there are 2,600+ views of this post. There seems to be a huge interest of your customers regarding this topic. Wouldn’t it be a good idea to just publish the information the consumer are looking for. From a distance this is a pretty easy way to allign consumer interest with your interest (happy customers, hopefully) for free. But maybe I am overlooking something …

Best regards,

Mark

The only SMART value that indicates usable life is available reserve space. The available reserve space attribute has a pass/fail trip. If this value is tripped the SSD should be replaced. the other values are informational only and do not indicate usable life span. I contacted sandisk support and they said they do not ahve any published SMART definition. I ask that a request be made to get this avaialble (most other manufactures have this) so hopefully they can publish something soon.  

>I ask that a request be made to get this avaialble (most other manufactures have this) so hopefully they can publish something soon.  

Many thanks. Rgrds, Mark

@drlucky,

again, thanks for your support. But did you get any reply regarding the smart infomation?

Greetings,

Mark

No all the info I have is support has requested it. If they ever get the info I am sure they will post it to their knoloedgebase.