Retired Block Count

My 240GB Extreme is about 6 months old with light use. One month in it had 2 retired block count and today the retired block count raised to 3.

The Sandisk SSD Toolkit says the Threshold is 3…

Should I be concerned??? Does this mean my drive is going to die soon if this number reaches 4 and above?

Expert or Sandisk authority, please respond.

yes backup and contact sandisk support for warranty replacement. 

1 Like

Do you work for Sandisk officially? It is a huge hassle to reinstall everything on my system… So I want to make sure that it indeed means drive failure imminent before I go ahead and throw out this drive and no longer trust Sandisk for my future SSD needs…

Does anyone from Sandisk actually monitor this forum???

this is a users forum. that said anytime a SMART attribute is in the failing range the SSD should be replaced. it is your data so do what you want. I would get it replaced if i were you. 

Well, I have sent SanDisk an official support inquiry but its been a few days without reply. Sandisk’s image is starting to fall apart for me fast. I don’t have time to send in this drive and wait for poor customer service to send me one back in weeks… This is the huge problem with warranty these days, they simply want you to NOT use it… So I expect my electronics to NOT breakdown so fast.

But thanks for your reply… All my important data is always backed up, so the day this drive fails is the day I will throw it out. No more Sandisk SSDs.

I expected Sandisk to monitor their own product forums, common decency for a large consumer electronics competitor.

If possible it’s always best to call, so you can get things taken care of right then and there, rather than e-mailing back & forh.

And all electronics have the possibility of failing or breaking down. Thankfully SanDisk stands behind their products 100%. :wink:

sandisk support is only open mon -fri so if you sent your support ticket in the weekend it will get delt with today. 

like tapworm said any electronical product can fail. just send it back and get a replacement. 

So you work for Sandisk? Or at least “unofficially”? looking at the post count…

Yes, everything breaks down eventually, but not so FAST, right?

Sandisk should send out new drives as replacements for obvious product QC problems with a prepaid lable for the users then to send in the faulty drives. People can not lapse weeks waiting for a replacement with empty drive bays… Kick up the customer srevice! I don’t want to see Sandisk “failing or breaking down” as a company.

@intellca wrote:

_ So you work for Sandisk? _ Or at least “unofficially”? looking at the post count…

One has nothing to do with the other.

@intellca wrote:

Yes, everything breaks down eventually, but not so FAST, right?

With the automated production of things today leading to lower prices (or at least keeping increases to a minimum), the downside to this is higher failure rates, especially in the electronic industry. That’s just the way it is.

@intellca wrote:

Sandisk should send out new drives as replacements for obvious product QC problems with a prepaid lable for the users then to send in the faulty drives. People can not lapse weeks waiting for a replacement with empty drive bays… Kick up the customer srevice! I don’t want to see Sandisk “failing or breaking down” as a company.

I don’t know of any other company that does this, so you can’t really expect SanDisk to, can you? SanDisk’s customer service and their offered warranties (and support of same) on their products is second to none. If you browse around this forum you’ll find many, many instances of them “going above and beyond” normal standards to satisfy their customers.  :smiley:

My Sandisk Extreem 240gb has 100 retired blocks. Was giving me BSOD,  Chkdsk runs to around 20% and then stays there finding bad blocks.

I called Sandisk and the rep had me run the Sandisk SSD Tool kit and the Smart status shows Pass, despite numerous erors that are above the threshold.   I sent them copies of the several run of chkdsk reporting numerous errors.   They would not replace the SSD and a told me t o run Diskpart, clean the disk and reinstall the OS. 

So they want me to install the OS and all my apps and settings, to have t he SSD crash and give me the BSOD again?

They are ignoring all the facts and what there own SSD Toolkit says.  I find this very customer unfriendly and counterproductive.

I own the same model of SSD. Mine too has 3 retired block after about 16 month of light use (2TB write, 3 TB read). I still work fine now (crystal disk info says disk state is 100%) but i don’t know what would happen tomorrow.