My SSD Hard Disk freezes intermittently.

Yes I too have a freezing issue. It stops for some 20 seconds before resuming. I have SATA2 mobo - ECS A780GM-A V1. Perhaps this isn’t part of the sata 2 standard? Have set AHCI to Active and will see how I go ta.

No issues today… seems to have fixed it.

Setting the AHCI to active has helped to get rid of the freezing (thanks to this thread), however, now my laptop (Toshiba T215D-1150, Windows 7) seems to  be too active: the fan is constantly running and the battery drains much more quickly even if no program is running at all. Has anybody had the same problem? Any thoughts?

Hi ! Try to find if there any application that runs at background and use the cpu inside the task manager (on the process tab)

Hi,

Thanks for your fast reply. I checked the processes in the task manager first thing after I had realized how hot my laptop runs. But there is no obvious (i.e. clearly visible) process that  ■■■■■ CPU power. I also checked if my drivers are up to date but they seem to be fine. I installed speed fan to see what the fan does but although I can see core, HD, and CPU temps, I don’t seem to be able to get a reading for fan rpm and control that. The only thing I did was following the instructions here (http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/177819-ahci-link-power-management-enable-hipm-dipm.html)) and installing the AHCI Link Power Management registry changes. Just out of curiosity, did you (all) install fresh systems on your SSDs or went the clone-route?

hey all,

i have added an ASUS USB3.0 / SATA3 6GB/s controller, and installed the drivers for it on my windows, then moved the cable to the controller, haven’t had a single problem anymore. I thought of this because of no option to choose between AHCI or IDE mode in my bios (i think this is because of the Striker II Extreme bios in my Striker II NSE mobo).

so using SATA3 or a better controller solved my problem. Also getting way better performance now.

Bad news everybody.

I just noticed the problem returning, most importantly with NZB / News usage.

freezes are just shorter and more often now, so most applications see it as lag or just handle it ok, but it is NOT yet solved.

Becomes more frequent by the day. WIll need to swap it i guess.

I had this same problem and finally found a fix.

I am running a Lenovo X60 laptop with Windows 7 (SATA 1) with a SDSSDX-240G-G25. When I installed the drive it worked, except it would randomly “freeze” for 30 seconds or so, especially when doing a lot of reading (e.g. booting, virus scan). The drive light would be solid green the whole time as someone else described. I was upgrading from a previous SSD that didn’t have this problem. I did upgrade to the latest firmware (R211) before installing.

Anyway, the DIPM seemed to be the right diagnosis, but the solution of changing the setting in the power settings didn’t work for me. However, when I examined the related Registry Settings, this function was still active. So I reset the registry settings directly and the drive has been fine since.

I got the registry settings from this thread:

http://forum.crucial.com/t5/Solid-State-Drives-SSD/Solution-C300-Disk-Freeze-ups-in-Windows-7-solved-for-me/td-p/38766

You may want to check the registry before modifying it just to verify that LPM/DIPM are turned on.

Hope this helps!

Same problem here.  Two Extreme 480Gb.  Both with R211. Both randomly hang.  Resetting the PC takes a long time in POST and does not detect the drive that hung.  The only way to return to operation is to power cycle the SSD.  I have confirmed this by pulling the power from the hung SSD, reconnecting it and then it can be found by the PC BIOS.

Motherboard is Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H.  The hanging problem only started when R211 was loaded.  With R201 installed it all worked nicely.  AHCI power management is off (‘active’) and appropriate registry entries added for iastor (as per a post I found with google).

I am starting to regret the purchase of these SSDs.  My Corsair F120 still plugs along day after day after day without problem.

Is it possible to downgrade the SSDs to R201?

Same thing happened to me, after only having the drive a week.  This morning, freezing, now the drive cannot even be repartitioned by two different computers–clearly defective.  Sending back and going with a different brand.

hey that guys, don’t say such boring things ,It’s the end of the world , I have to feel it even shopping online,there is an rebate website tell me : please prepared foodstuffs and various household supplies before you landing the ark ,here :discountark dot com

wow guys,

great news!

Based on the link a few posts back, I found some reg settings that control the LPM and AHCI settings.
After changing them to 2, and a reboot, the problem hasn’t come back for half an hour using intensive 70mbit usenet.

solid 6,9mbyte/s while parring rarring and extracting.

see my screenshots below:

Hey mate,

Not sure if this is still a problem for you but I’ve got 2 potential fixes for freezing on your mac.

a) do a clean intall, directly duplicating the disk from one drive to another will not get you the bet speeds. For mac I’d ay the best way would be to do a time machine backup (or another incremental backup program) then do a fresh install of your latest version of OSX and restore the data/apps you need from that

b) someone further down mentioned Nvidia issues… that should only be a problem if you have incompatible RAM for sharing with the Video card… I grabbed some generic DDR3 ram for my MBP and it would crash as soon as the Nvidia card was used for anything 3D but would work fine for the desktop so long as the Intel video card was being used

My notebook is an Acer 3820TG and I have been experiencing random freeze-ups since I installed the SanDisk Extreme 120G :confounded:

I have tried to set the HIPM to active according to drlucky’s link. After setting it to active, it worked, but after the notebook is restarted, it returned back to original setting. For some reason unknown to me, the new setting is not saved in the sysem.

Anyone can offer any help ?

Thanks very much !

I just bought a brand new Sandisk 256GB Ultra Plus with latest firmware (X211200). I had the same very problem you guys have.

I followed instructions in this thread and managed to disable HIPM/DIPM by installing the .reg file and setting “Active” in all power profiles, as described in this thread:

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/177819-ahci-link-power-management-enable-hipm-dipm.html

I have a Samsung NC110 (NP-NC110).

I hope this helps. Anyway, this is the last time I buy a Sandisk product, at least until they manage to release updated firmwares for their products.

Hi there,

I have a similar problem running Win8. Also, my computer is a desktop and it freezes completely which means when it does it will not resume no matter how long I wait.

I was running Win7 for a while upgraded to Win8 and there have been no issues with the computer (drive?) until yesterday. I didn’t do any hardware/software changes before I started having the problem. To be fair it might have frozen a few times in the past but it was never a consistent problem nor did it happen on regular basis. I am assuming it’s a hard drive issur because every time I try to test the disk with either HDTune or chkdsk it freezes immediately. Also every time it does the HDD LED stays on all the time. I deleted some files so now I have almost 40% of the drive free so lack of space shouldn’t be an issue here. Also, as the problem occurred when browsing the web using the Firefox I uninstalled it as I thought that maybe there were some corrupted files. No luck. Also, Sandisk Test utility hasn’t reported any problems and the computer boots up with no issues.

I will do some hardware troubleshooting later (checking the cables, power supply etc) and update the drive firmware but the problem is that this is my main hard drive which has an OS installed on it so I will probably have limited options here. Can you recommend anything specific I should do to isolate the problem or recommend some diagnostic software?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Just a little follow-up. After updating the firmware on both my ASUS mobo and the hard drive the situation improved a bit. I’ve noticed no freezes since yesterday and was able to run chkds on my drive which fixed some errors and didn’t freeze. Also I was able to run an HDTune test which reported some bad sectors but at least it didn’t freeze this time either.

There are still some problems though. I get a “read error” when trying to run HDTune speed test and it never finishes. Also, I got a similar error when backing up my system using Windows backup which terminated at the end of the process reporting some read errors.

Any ideas? Do you think moving the system to a different volume, formatting the Sandisk drive and them moving it back could improve the situation?

@czajunia wrote:

Just a little follow-up. After updating the firmware on both my ASUS mobo and the hard drive the situation improved a bit. I’ve noticed no freezes since yesterday and was able to run chkds on my drive which fixed some errors and didn’t freeze. Also I was able to run an HDTune test which reported some bad sectors but at least it didn’t freeze this time either.

There are still some problems though. I get a “read error” when trying to run HDTune speed test and it never finishes. Also, I got a similar error when backing up my system using Windows backup which terminated at the end of the process reporting some read errors.

Any ideas? Do you think moving the system to a different volume, formatting the Sandisk drive and them moving it back could improve the situation?

well.

I’m going to reinstall this weekend, started completely freezing on me too, AGAIN.
sigh. Using the windows on my WD 750gb drive its no problem. I need to find out if its a windows or SSD issue.

I’d recommend a reinstall instead of moving it around. Full format isn’t the way to go for flash based disks, as they dont have magnetic sectors, as far as i know, but i might be mistaken. I believe garbage collection is auto cleans the disks if you place an empty partition on the disk. (again, _not_ sure).

As you can imagine I am not an SSD expert either. :slight_smile:

I thought about moving the system back and forth simply because I still assume it’s a hard drive issue rather than Windows. Also, I don’t think formatting will fix the drive as such but my idea was that maybe when I copy the system back to the dirve the files will be written avoiding faulty memory cells if there are any. Dunno if this makes sense and whether it will work or not. I may just give it a go first as I don’t feel like re-installing all my apps. 

Any solution for this problem?

I bought a ssd extreme 240 GB and i have the same problem.

If I speak with ssd support change the ssd?

Thanks