My SSD Hard Disk freezes intermittently.

Too bad there is no such setting or icon in my system preferences. I see have two sliders ‘computer sleep’ and ‘display sleep’, however no icons. 

Also, I wonder if disabling the nVidia doesn’t affect performances? I regularly use it for editing video so I need all the power I can get. 

Another thing is the SSD started making strange sisling noises, kinda like old hard drives did after a while. 

Thanks!

Hi Guys,

I’m getting the same issue here. The system worked fine for about a week and then just started stalling for a minute at a time, then runnng ok, then stalling again. 

System details are

Win 7

Sandisk extreme 240gb ssd with firmware R201

running in IDE (will check with AHCI when i get the chance)

Gigabyte P55-US3L (rev2.0) with latest firmware

AMD 6850 Graphics card (not Nvidia as people have suggested that might cause issues)

8GB ram

Trim is enabled, defrag is disabled.

Note that the system works flawlessly off a hard disk, it’s only when booted from the SSD that there is an issue.

Hi Guys,

I’ve just tried updating the Intel SATA drivers to the latest version. It’s only been up for 20 mins since doing it, but I haven’t had a stall yet so fingers crossed

http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/detect?iid=dc_iduu

might be worth a go?

Ok, that’s a no, still stalling. Hopefully someone from Sandisk will respond to my case, either that or I’ll send it back.

@padders wrote:

Ok, that’s a no, still stalling. Hopefully someone from Sandisk will respond to my case, either that or I’ll send it back.

This is a user’s forum. While there are a couple SanDisk people that stop in occasionally, this is not an official tech support forum. If you want a personal response, I suggest you contact SanDisk directly:

http://www.sandisk.com/about-sandisk/contact-us?utm_source=ContactUs&utm_medium=Hyperlink&utm_campaign=HomePageTracking

Hi Tapeworm, Yeah I raised a case with them yesterday, that’s what I meant. Just thought I’d feed back on what I’d said in case anyone else had some input :slight_smile:

Think I might have sorted it… (and I’m a tad embarrassed too :flushed:). I had a nose inside to check some details for the case and I noticed the cable from the psu to the drive was obstructing a fan. In my haste to get the SSD up and running I’d not tidied the cables properly. Since clearing that up, things seem to have been ok, it’s been up for over 3 hours with no problems at all. I guess the hard disks can cope with a hotter temperature which is why they still worked. Certainly explains why the problems got worse over time when my pc was left on.

If people need to find out the temps of the hard drives then a good app is SpeedFan, my ssd is now running at a nice 27 degrees! 

Oh and i might add, i got a fairly swift response from Sandisk with loads of detailed questions which was a very good response so it’s definitely worth raising a case if you have issues :slight_smile:

I’m remiss in not responding sooner but disabling HIPM completely cured the problem with the Sandforce controller for me.  

It’s been a few weeks since I made the change and my SSD hasn’t frozen once since then.  Before it used to freeze with the drive light on solid for about a minute roughly once an hour.  Now life is sweet.

I’d recommend trying this first for anyone who has any issues with SSDs hanging, freezing or stuttering with a Sandforce 2281 controller.

Thanks DrLucky.

PS.  Note that I had tried everything prior to the HIPM cure including all updated BIOSes for the SSD, but nothing else worked.  Updated BIOSes were useless.

For now this seems to help. I carried out all the steps and no freezes till the moment.

Good luck

http://blog.alutam.com/2012/04/01/optimizing-macos-x-lion-for-ssd/

It seemed like it worked for a while, but the freezes are back…

I’ve had 120gb SSD for about a week now and It won’t boot up 9 out of 10 times. It just hangs forever and I have to force reboot hoping it works next time. It hangs other times too. For me when it hangs, it never gets out of it. Very annoying. It’s almost unusable. I had R112 when I experienced the problem and I upgraded it to R201 but I still have the problem.

I’m running in on ThinkPad T60 (Sata1).

I also solved this problem by setting ACHI link power management to ‘Active’.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/177819-ahci-link-power-management-enable-hipm-dipm.html

I have a Lenovo U460 notebook.

Yes I too have a freezing issue. It stops for some 20 seconds before resuming. I have SATA2 mobo - ECS A780GM-A V1. Perhaps this isn’t part of the sata 2 standard? Have set AHCI to Active and will see how I go ta.

No issues today… seems to have fixed it.

Setting the AHCI to active has helped to get rid of the freezing (thanks to this thread), however, now my laptop (Toshiba T215D-1150, Windows 7) seems to  be too active: the fan is constantly running and the battery drains much more quickly even if no program is running at all. Has anybody had the same problem? Any thoughts?

Hi ! Try to find if there any application that runs at background and use the cpu inside the task manager (on the process tab)

Hi,

Thanks for your fast reply. I checked the processes in the task manager first thing after I had realized how hot my laptop runs. But there is no obvious (i.e. clearly visible) process that  ■■■■■ CPU power. I also checked if my drivers are up to date but they seem to be fine. I installed speed fan to see what the fan does but although I can see core, HD, and CPU temps, I don’t seem to be able to get a reading for fan rpm and control that. The only thing I did was following the instructions here (http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/177819-ahci-link-power-management-enable-hipm-dipm.html)) and installing the AHCI Link Power Management registry changes. Just out of curiosity, did you (all) install fresh systems on your SSDs or went the clone-route?

hey all,

i have added an ASUS USB3.0 / SATA3 6GB/s controller, and installed the drivers for it on my windows, then moved the cable to the controller, haven’t had a single problem anymore. I thought of this because of no option to choose between AHCI or IDE mode in my bios (i think this is because of the Striker II Extreme bios in my Striker II NSE mobo).

so using SATA3 or a better controller solved my problem. Also getting way better performance now.

Bad news everybody.

I just noticed the problem returning, most importantly with NZB / News usage.

freezes are just shorter and more often now, so most applications see it as lag or just handle it ok, but it is NOT yet solved.

Becomes more frequent by the day. WIll need to swap it i guess.