Macbook Pro Link Speed 1.5G instead 3G

@parsec wrote:

There is all kinds of misinformation in this thread, really a mess.

A little history first. The Nvidia SATA chipsets were a huge failure, they had all kinds of problems and are infamous for their inability to work with SATA III SSDs. Nvidia no longer makes any SATA chipsets, and has not done so for years. Even worse, they provide no support for them at all, as in driver updates. The manufactures that used the Nvidia SATA chips also have not provided any updated drivers. It is the Nvidia driver program that is the source of the problems with SATA III SSDs, or really any SATA III device.

It is the SATA chipset and driver that controls any HDD or SSD. All any drive can do is provide the SATA speed protocol data to the SATA chipset, drives cannot control the SATA chipset interface. The Nvidia driver is not up to date with the current SATA protocol, but is also so bad that it can’t even try to use SATA II, and just shifts to SATA I. NO OTHER SATA chipset that only supports up to SATA II speeds does this, all the AMD and Intel SATA II chipsets stay in SATA II mode with SATA III drives. The only SATA chipset that has this problem is the Nvidia.

OCZ tried to fix this problem with the Nvidia SATA chipset, with a special program that changed the SATA speed protocol data in (only) their Vertex 3 SSDs, from SATA III to SATA II. Apparently it did work, but of course the SSD then became a SATA II speed drive even when connected to a SATA III supporting chipset. Doing that was a violation of the SATA standard, and no other SSD manufacture has provided a program like that. Check the forum of any SSD manufacture, and you’ll find threads about this Nvidia chipset problem with SATA III SSDs. This is not a SanDisk or a SandForce issue, it is all Nvidia’s problem.

So on one hand we have the obsolete, out of production Nvidia SATA chipsets, which Nvidia refuses to support with driver updates, and the companies that used those chipsets also refusing to provide driver updates, while those chipsets are still in use by their customers. On the other hand we have SSD manufactures that have nothing to do with Nvidia and their failed, unsupported SATA chipsets, and have built their products to the correct PC industry and SATA standards. Yet when modern SATA III SSDs don’t function correctly due to the flaws of the Nvidia chipset, people blame the SSD? It simply does not make sense.

Whatever.

If you sell a product as a sata3 i expect that it’ll go fast as a sata3 device. There are no advice in the package or the sandisk site that this kind of ssd is incompatible with certain sata chipset… so i don’t care about any justification or explanation.

Or they fix the problem or they give me my money back. That’s all. 

@gotetrunks wrote:

@parsec wrote:

There is all kinds of misinformation in this thread, really a mess.

A little history first. The Nvidia SATA chipsets were a huge failure, they had all kinds of problems and are infamous for their inability to work with SATA III SSDs. Nvidia no longer makes any SATA chipsets, and has not done so for years. Even worse, they provide no support for them at all, as in driver updates. The manufactures that used the Nvidia SATA chips also have not provided any updated drivers. It is the Nvidia driver program that is the source of the problems with SATA III SSDs, or really any SATA III device.

It is the SATA chipset and driver that controls any HDD or SSD. All any drive can do is provide the SATA speed protocol data to the SATA chipset, drives cannot control the SATA chipset interface. The Nvidia driver is not up to date with the current SATA protocol, but is also so bad that it can’t even try to use SATA II, and just shifts to SATA I. NO OTHER SATA chipset that only supports up to SATA II speeds does this, all the AMD and Intel SATA II chipsets stay in SATA II mode with SATA III drives. The only SATA chipset that has this problem is the Nvidia.

OCZ tried to fix this problem with the Nvidia SATA chipset, with a special program that changed the SATA speed protocol data in (only) their Vertex 3 SSDs, from SATA III to SATA II. Apparently it did work, but of course the SSD then became a SATA II speed drive even when connected to a SATA III supporting chipset. Doing that was a violation of the SATA standard, and no other SSD manufacture has provided a program like that. Check the forum of any SSD manufacture, and you’ll find threads about this Nvidia chipset problem with SATA III SSDs. This is not a SanDisk or a SandForce issue, it is all Nvidia’s problem.

So on one hand we have the obsolete, out of production Nvidia SATA chipsets, which Nvidia refuses to support with driver updates, and the companies that used those chipsets also refusing to provide driver updates, while those chipsets are still in use by their customers. On the other hand we have SSD manufactures that have nothing to do with Nvidia and their failed, unsupported SATA chipsets, and have built their products to the correct PC industry and SATA standards. Yet when modern SATA III SSDs don’t function correctly due to the flaws of the Nvidia chipset, people blame the SSD? It simply does not make sense.

Whatever.

If you sell a product as a sata3 i expect that it’ll go fast as a sata3 device. There are no advice in the package or the sandisk site that this kind of ssd is incompatible with certain sata chipset… so i don’t care about any justification or explanation.

Or they fix the problem or they give me my money back. That’s all. 

Did you tell that to Apple and Nvidia? So you expect to connect a SATA III SSD to a USB 2.0 port and have it run at SATA III speeds?

When you find a SSD that operates as you have decided it must, let us know…

@parsec wrote:

Did you tell that to Apple and Nvidia? So you expect to connect a SATA III SSD to a USB 2.0 port and have it run at SATA III speeds?

Are u stupid or what? If i use a sate3 disk in a sata2 controller i expect that it goes as a sata2 disk, not 1.5 or less with random freeze…

And tell us: why ocz, samsung and owc work perfectly with nvidia chip in mac? Why no one from sandisk says a word in this thread about this problem?

If you’re happy to give money for defected product in return…

@gotetrunks wrote:

@parsec wrote:

Are u stupid or what? If i use a sate3 disk in a sata2 controller i expect that it goes as a sata2 disk, not 1.5 or less with random freeze…

And tell us: why ocz, samsung and owc work perfectly with nvidia chip in mac? Why no one from sandisk says a word in this thread about this problem?

+1!

This is not an NVidia only problem but an imcompatibility between sandforce and NVidia chip. Sandforce had already fixed the problem so, what is sandisk waiting?!

Hello, SadDisk? Does your new firmware update fix this problem?

http://forums.sandisk.com/t5/SanDisk-Extreme-SSD/Firmware-R211-release/td-p/285862

UPDATED FIRMWARE TO 211 right now!

I don’t know what happen but i’m still have 1,5g sata connection speed and i have macbook pro with mcp79 nvidia chipset - what the hell is going on??

http://s6.image1.org/images/2012/10/19/1/064f5778834ea03ed0c755442241350a.png

oohhhh yhheee baby

http://image1.org/image.php?id=99012&p=31e8w4i5

p.s. For those who have macs - remember to flash to “211 m” firmware. 

Thank you sandisk…

I have already updated mine too…its working nice…a little bit faster…

Have you guys feedback…

I have no problems during the update…after the system has totaly fine… :smiley:

Folk, go look here for SanDisk answer:

http://forums.sandisk.com/t5/SanDisk-Extreme-SSD/SanDisk-Extreme-SSD-Firmware-R211m-download-for-for-MacBook-and/td-p/285948

(I guess I’m being picky to think SanDisk support could have alerted folk on this longtime thread re a fix for the problem.)

finally update for negotiated link speed problem !!!

sandisk extreme 240GB black magic test results: 

READ: 263.4MB/s
WRITE: 193.4MB/s

snow leopard A1286 macbook pro 2009 aluminum unibody with nvidia sata controller. 

Yes !

Thanks Sandisk !

How do I proceed when no optical drive is available?!

you can put the ISO on a USB drive using a program like power ISO. 

I did exactly that on my PC but the MPB doesn’t recognize it as possible startup disk even though it shows up in finder as Firmware Updater. I tried pressing C or E at boot time but nothing. Help please!

looks like you will need to put the SSD in a computer where there is a CDROM availabel or use an external CDROM. 

I even tried with a SD card to no avail. I can’t believe I’ll have to go buy an external drive for this…

Any new firmware updates yet?

Im still getting 1.5 negotiated link speeds on my White MB Late 2009 Unibody.

there is an update for this stickied at the top of this board. 

@gotetrunks wrote:

@parsec wrote:

OCZ and Samsung SATA III SSDs work fine at SATA II speeds on the Nvidia chipset? In your dreams!

OWC may have applied the firmware work around to fool the Nvidia driver into staying a SATA II speeds, since they aim at the Mac market, but I don’t follow their products.

Yes I agree, I would expect a SATA III SSD to work fine with a SATA II controller, and all SATA II controllers do work that way… except for those made by Nvidia, and their terrible drivers. SATA controllers are called that for a reason, they _ control the drives _ they work with, not the other way around.

Oops, I forgot, don’t bother you with technical details and reality.