Firmware update R211 released for SanDisk Extreme SSD

Yet another great firmware update from SanDisk. That makes it sound like there are many, no, only two.

There is something that I must mention that I have never before seen work correctly in a FW update for a SSD. While I was preparing the update, I remembered that my SanDisk EX 120GB SSD was connected to the Marvell 9128 SATA III chipset, not my boards standard Intel SATA chipset. No other SSD FW update I have performed (I have done many) would work or even detect the target SSD when connected to a secondary SATA controller. I am also using the standard Marvell AHCI driver (latest version) on the Marvell chipset.

My first reaction was, “Oh great, I need to change the EX SSD to the Intel SATA ports”. But then I thought I would see what happens with the SSD on the Marvell controller, so I booted into the update tool. Sure enough, the tool detected and chose the EX SSD. I proceeded with the FW update, and it seemed to finish fine. The PC shutdown when I exited the tool, and I booted into Windows. I checked the firmware on the EX SSD, R211 was installed. The FW update worked perfectly on the Marvell SATA controller and driver pair.

I’m impressed that SanDisk was able to have their FW update tool work on the secondary SATA controller. Any other FW update tool requires the SSD to be connected to the primary SATA controller. IMO, this indicates the high quality of SanDisk’s work. Great job programmers, and everyone involved with this update!