Firmware update R201 released for SanDisk Extreme SSD

mobo: Acer aspire X1700

chipset : nvidia 630i

sata mode : AHCI

also tried on a laptop HP dv9530 chipset PM965 & ICH8M probably in AHCI mode, win 7 pro x64 fr

I have the same config as a previous poster: Gigabyte GA-P55A-UP4P, Core i7-860, 8 GB RAM and I get the same error. I ran the program on my laptop without the SSD and it appears it would work, but having to rip the system apart and move it to another pc is a hassle.

Anybody have any success with the GA-P55A-UP4P motherboard?

I have am having an issue with creating the bootable media to apply the update, I do have a raid-0 config and I know that I can not apply the update while the 2 SSD’s are in the array.  I read above that I can simply change in the bios the drives from “Raid” to “AHCI” and boot to USB/CD to apply the update, I am hoping that works as described above.  My issue comes with creating the bootable USB from the SSD Toolkit download.  When I open the Toolkit it is empty, which is due to the raid array, but also there is no information in the “Firmware Updater” section it simply says “Sandisk SSD Only”.  How do I go about creating the update USB?

The raid array is an Intel hardware based array created from my motherboard.

Here is my system information if it is needed:

SSD: Sandisk Extreme 120gig - x2

Mobo: Asus Sabertooth Z77

CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K

RAM: DDR3-1600 2 x 8gb

Please let me know if you need anymore information. 

if you are in RAID the toolkit will not see the drives therefore it will not allow you to create the update CD. There is a post sticked at the top of this board with a manual download for use on MAC. download the ISO and burn it as an image. you can use that to update your SSDs. There is a dissferent ISO for each capacity so make sure to download the correct one. 

I didnt even see the sticky, thank you very much for the response.  Now I just got to cross my fingers that changing the bios from raid to AHCI and back will not cause me to loose my data.  

You all at Sandisk have done a wonderful job with these SSD’s and even better job with the firmware updates.  I almost cant believe the drives dont loose the data when you do the firmware update, keep up the good work!!

The update went smoothly and I had no issues with changing from Raid to AHCI and back to Raid, my data remained intact and windows booted with no problems after I reset the Raid setting and reconfigured the boot order.  One odd thing did happen, I booted to the ISO while still in the raid array and the firmware update software saw my two SSD’s, I did not try to apply the update while still set to raid because of the fear of breaking the drives but it seems like that could be possible.

Thank you again drlucky for pointing me to the sticky with the iso download.

Hello Guys,

I tried to update my Sandisk Extreme 240 GB from R112 to R201 but failed. I have tried it with the CD-ROM ISO method.

System:

Motherboard: Asus P5Q-E

Feed: AHCI

Additional info: no extra HDD only a IDE DVD ROM

It boots in the Sandisk Firmware Updater but when you press Enter to Update it Fails.

Also I am getting Blue Screen Of Death with Stop: 0x000000F4. Any ideas what could have caused this !?

Thanks in Advance!

1 Like

I’ve tried to make a bootable USB from the .iso file i downloaded for my 240GB sandisk extreme since I am using a mac mini without any optical drive. No luck! Disk Utility states some error 254 and “can’t recognize the source”. Suggestions for a fix?

1 Like

@roeljamil wrote:

Hello Guys,

I tried to update my Sandisk Extreme 240 GB from R112 to R201 but failed. I have tried it with the CD-ROM ISO method.

System:

Motherboard: Asus P5Q-E

Feed: AHCI

Additional info: no extra HDD only a IDE DVD ROM

It boots in the Sandisk Firmware Updater but when you press Enter to Update it Fails.

Also I am getting Blue Screen Of Death with Stop: 0x000000F4. Any ideas what could have caused this !?

Thanks in Advance!

if you get a message that says frimware update failed from the update tool you may need to get the drive replaced. you should probably contact sandisk support. 

1 Like

@mikalmo wrote:

I’ve tried to make a bootable USB from the .iso file i downloaded for my 240GB sandisk extreme since I am using a mac mini without any optical drive. No luck! Disk Utility states some error 254 and “can’t recognize the source”. Suggestions for a fix?

the ISO you can download cant be used for a bootable USB drive. currently thhe downloadable ISO is the only solution for operating systems other than Windows. You will need to get an optical drive to the computer. an external cdROM should be ok as long as the computer can use it as a boot device. 

1 Like

Im planning to buy sandisk extreme but for me as a less techie, i cant understand how to upgrade an ssd firmware connected as a main drive. My question is “is it possible to add the ssd as a new additional drive (D : ) for example  and then upgrade the ssd firmware then convert it as a main drive?”

Upgrading the drive as a main drive is easy. Just follow the instructions in the tool kit. Basically you will create bootable CD or USB drive and use that to boot the computer and upgrade the firmware. Detailed instructions are in the help file of the tool kit. 

Our keyboards don’t work – we can’t update!!

http://forums.sandisk.com/t5/SanDisk-Extreme-SSD/keyboard-problems/td-p/278472

http://forums.sandisk.com/t5/SanDisk-Extreme-SSD/Keyboard-does-not-work-in-firmware-updater/td-p/278616

When I try to update with a usb drive it gets stuck at loading ramdisk. . . . . . . . . . . .ready then nothing happens. 

I want to update the firmware in my SanDisk Extreme on my Linux machine.

Where is there an ISO download that I can burn to do this?

Thanks.

I just checked my SanDisk Extreme 480 GB SSD and it is already at firmware R201.

But, this drive just refuses to perform TRIM(discard).

I’ve verified in everyway possible that the drive supports TRIM but no TRIM ever takes place.

Even fstrim in Linux fails on any mountpoint on the SSD.

I’m having the same problem where my bios update freezes at kernel_thread_helper+0x6/0xd. I hope a solution is out there…

I just read this article about TRIM not working in Sandforce/LSI firmware v5.x - http://www.tweaktown.com/articles/4870/lsi_sandforce_5_series_ssd_firmware_trim_lost_and_found_performance_investigated/index.html

I wonder what version of LSI Sandforce firmware Sandisk base their R201 on…

Hello!

I want to update the firmware of my Extreme240, created bootable USB-drive, booted, all works fine…

BUT: my SSD is not listed by Sandisk Firmware Update, all other HDDs are!!! And so I can’t select it or perform any update.

AHCI-Mode enabled, MB: Gigabyte Z68X UD3H B3

THX 4 reply

EDIT: Windows allready installed and running.

zunamy, Is your Ex 240 connected to the Intel SATA ports, or other SATA chipset like Marvell that your board may have. It must be on an Intel SATA port to update the firmware.