Extreme 240 making sounds the first minutes

Hi Guys,

I came here after reading a review on newegg claiming this is a well known issue with the sandisk ssd drives. I was extremely curious to see exactly how a bunch of memory chips with absolutely NO mechanical or any moving components of ANY kind can possible create an audible sound. It’s like physically impossible, so I was extremely curious naturally.

However after reading this entire thread, I am convinced the 2 people claiming to have heard noise are unfortunetly mistaken. The noise might appear to be coming from the new component (the SSD drive) but is physically impossible so it has to be mistakenly coming from a fan inside the laptop or PC.

Especially the guy who said he heard the noise when the ssd was in the usb enclosure but not since installing it inside the laptop. I mean, come on now, doesn’t that convince you that the noise was the USB enclosure itself? Obviously the cooling fan this particular usb enclosure has for cooling the mechanical hard drives is starting to make some mechanical noise.

Think about it guys, a SSD drive is nothing but memory chips inside a tiny box, that’s it! Nothing but integrated circuits and certainly NOTHING that can vibrate or create any possible physical noise, that’s for sure. Memory chips don’t vibrate, they don’t move, they don’t make noise, they never have and never will. Have you ever read online ever about any kind of memory modules being returned because they are making loud screaching noises? LOL

Never!

Only mechanical parts like fans or old type hard drives which have motors and bearing can ever make that kind of noise.

Any brand SSD is a Solid State Device people, that’s what it means, opposite of mechanical, so what is moving to make this noise?

Nothing obviously from inside the tiny ssd case, the noise is coming from fans located some place else in these systems, mystery solved.

I hope this helps educate a lot of newbies.

Your welcome guys