Support for windows 8

Well I have got to say that none of the options stated above work for me, the unit still does not get recognized by my Windows *8

ASUS pc in either port. Have reformatted, set USB mode to MSC and MTP, yuck.  Any other ideas folks? have sent an email to SanDIsk, 2 days ago, no replies yet.  Really was looking forward to this…

Has anybody considered the possibility that the problem lies with something in Windows 8 and contacted MS Support for help?

I finally mangaged to reformat both of my players, erasing all the data unfortunately. I have one set to use on the Mac Pro, the other on my PC with Windows 8. I will not be using them for music since it is tiresome to have to keep loading the same music files over and over just to have to loose it all due to some software issue. Will use just for borrowed audiobooks that I have no financial investment for.

As to some of the above suggestions using front or back ports on the Dell had no effect. I opened the Device manager and deleted all the Clip devices. Then I put the player with the corrupt FAT file on hold, held down the center button for 20 seconds while plugging in the USB cable. Kept holding down the center button until it was finally recognized on the computer. It showed up as a device and I am now able to copy audiobooks onto the player.

Good suggestion to contact Microsoft but quite frankly I am tired of messing around with this. The problems occured on both players on either the Mac or the PC so it might not be a MS issue at all. I would hope SanDisk would persue this with MS. 

@wandaframe wrote:

As to some of the above suggestions using front or back ports on the Dell had no effect. I opened the Device manager and deleted all the Clip devices. Then I put the player with the corrupt FAT file on hold, held down the center button for 20 seconds while plugging in the USB cable. Kept holding down the center button until it was finally recognized on the computer. It showed up as a device and I am now able to copy audiobooks onto the player.

Actually, all this does is “force” MSC mode. You can do the same thing a lot easier by just going to Settings > System Settings > USB mode on your player and selecting MSC there. And once it’s set, it stays that way (unless you re-format or updtae the firmware which will reset it to the default, Auto Defect).

Hi there,

I have solved the problem in this way:

1. go to device manager

2.right click on question mark ( not recognized device).

3.choose update driver soft. - browse my computer for driver

4.let me pick from a list of device

5.choose PORTABLE DEVICE - MTP USB device (press ok even there is no support message)

6.enjoy it works well!

p.s.

it’s recommended to update firmware before.

Glad you found a solution–SanDisk also is looking into matters but is not encountering issues on its end . . . .

@snowmansun wrote:

Hi there,

1. go to device manager

5.choose PORTABLE DEVICE - MTP USB device (press ok even there is no support message)

6.enjoy it works well!

p.s.

it’s recommended to update firmware before.

Thank you, This solution worked for me. Although it did warn that it was not recommended or guaranteed. My PC and therefore Audible now recognizes my Sansa Clip. Yes!

PS. I had tried all the above options independently before searching this out today and trying snowmansun’s solution.

I’m glad I was able to help

I have no problems with manually updating the firmware, the problem for me is now that I have windows 8 I no longer have a Sansa Media Converter, which is a major bummer.  I have tried various other programs with no success, have followed the directions to the ‘t’ from forums, and nothing converts right to the parameters of my fuze, nor can I succesfully edit pictures to fit right.  The Media Converter was an excellent tool, and I’d like to see it converted for use on Windows 8 and available as a download on the Sandisk site.

@ronestar wrote:

. . . and nothing converts right to the parameters of my fuze, nor can I succesfully edit pictures to fit right.  The Media Converter was an excellent tool, and I’d like to see it converted for use on Windows 8 and available as a download on the Sandisk site.

Have you tried Video4fuze? Not sure if it works with Win 8, but it might be worth a shot. People rave about it with all the other Windows OS’s.

Btw, you the 1st person I’ve ever seen compliment the Sansa Media Converter. Most abhor it! :smileyvery-happy:

I’ll go ahead and give this a try. I think there might be mp3 specifics that it needs to have for it to play here.

@snowmansun wrote:

Hi there,

1. go to device manager

I get derailed by an extra menu after portable device. I choose standard USB device vs 2 types of compatible USB devices that don’t look right. Then MTB USB, and get the standard threat that the driver may clobber the laptop. But the result doesn’t work… device still unrecognized.

Sansa experts, can you advise… it may be win8 (or lenovo for me) at fault, but it makes your device unusable. This looks very dangerous to mess with windows for the non geek. luckily my mac can still limp along and feed my clip+.

@daft wrote:

@snowmansun wrote:

Hi there,

1. go to device manager

I get derailed by an extra menu after portable device. I choose standard USB device vs 2 types of compatible USB devices that don’t look right. Then MTB USB, and get the standard threat that the driver may clobber the laptop. But the result doesn’t work… device still unrecognized.

Sansa experts, can you advise… it may be win8 (or lenovo for me) at fault, but it makes your device unusable. This looks very dangerous to mess with windows for the non geek. luckily my mac can still limp along and feed my clip+.

OK, it settled down and works now. Please post this info in a sticky topic! Thanks.