SLOW at "Refreshing your media"?

@marvin_martian wrote:

@tapeworm wrote:

@marvin_martian wrote:

So I’m about to time my Clip+ refresh time…an 8GB model with only 17.5MB free on the internal, and a 16GB card with 1.48GB free…I’m going to use the stopwatch on my iPod Touch to time it.:stuck_out_tongue:

And the time is…two minutes, fifty-one seconds. 1,697 songs, of which 671 are on the 16GB card (lots of long songs) and 1,026 on the internal memory, and all the songs are MP3.:smileyvery-happy:

Is that in iTime or real time? :stuck_out_tongue:

They are one and the same.:stuck_out_tongue:

They are until Apple says it isn’t.  :wink:

@mags1230 wrote:

@marvin_martian wrote:

@tapeworm wrote:

@marvin_martian wrote:

So I’m about to time my Clip+ refresh time…an 8GB model with only 17.5MB free on the internal, and a 16GB card with 1.48GB free…I’m going to use the stopwatch on my iPod Touch to time it.:stuck_out_tongue:

And the time is…two minutes, fifty-one seconds. 1,697 songs, of which 671 are on the 16GB card (lots of long songs) and 1,026 on the internal memory, and all the songs are MP3.:smileyvery-happy:

Is that in iTime or real time? :stuck_out_tongue:

They are one and the same.:stuck_out_tongue:

They are until Apple says it isn’t.  :wink:

Maybe that’s what Steve Jobs can do with that $76 billion (yes, with a ‘B’) in cash he just said Apple has lying around. Buy their own time zone. The ‘Mother Ship’ they want to build in Cupertino won’t cost that much.

All you people that buy into their cult by drinking the Apple Kool-Aid and camping out overnight on the sidewalk outside the Apple stores to be the first to plunk down your excess cash for iThis and iThat are to be commended. They couldn’t have done it without you.

:smileyvery-happy:

(Now, now, now, let’s be fair: the fruit company does many things right, including implementing user-friendliness (often, at least) and driving innovation, including so that the Clips might capture a nice market. :wink: At the same time, one can’t help but shudder at some of the recently announced net profits at tech companies, including the fruit purveyor, and wonder as to the (gasp!) morality or not of it …)

@miikerman wrote:
(Now, now, now, let’s be fair: the fruit company does many things right, including implementing user-friendliness (often, at least) and driving innovation, including so that the Clips might capture a nice market. :wink: At the same time, one can’t help but shudder at some of the recently announced net profits at tech companies, including the fruit purveyor, and wonder as to the (gasp!) morality or not of it …)

You have to give Steve Jobs this much…unlike all the Wall Street financial CEOs, who received multi-million dollar salaries even while their companies were failing and getting bailed out by the US government, Steve takes a $1 per year salary along with stock options…meaning, if he wants to make any money, then he needs to make the company successful as well. Maybe the bankers could learn something from Apple, hmm? :wink:

@marvin_martian wrote:

Maybe the bankers could learn something from Apple, hmm? :wink:

There’s an idea . . . a CitiPod or BofAPad! :smileyvery-happy:

@tapeworm wrote:

@marvin_martian wrote:

For opening and using an account last year, Bank of the West actually sent me a BOW iPod touch, complete with BOW logo inscription on the back.   :wink:

@tapeworm wrote:

@marvin_martian wrote:

:smileyvery-happy:  :smileyvery-happy:

And when they get big enough, they can start making their own money.

Hiya all,

Sorry for the delay getting back - busy, busy and all that. Here’s what I’ve found …

1. Stripped out all the tags from my MP3s except album, artist, track number and title. Copied back onto the card and the media refresh time was still pretty slow. It took 30 minutes to go from the Y of your to the M of media which is hardly blistering, but I wasn’t around at the end to see the total time. Perhaps it has improved since I made these changes but the improvements are hardly game changing.

2. I found MP3 Tag to be a pain in the neck - even when I deleted all these irrelevant tags with KID3 (changes which are replicated in Windows Explorer) I found that  MP3 Tag was telling me that the tags are all fine and dandy and replete with all the details and album art I had just deleted - even after reloading and refreshing. All the tags should now be in ID3 v2.3 (according to what was written / saved using KID3) although there’s no way of independently verifying this. MP3 Tag still thinks I have APEv2 (IDE3v2.3 APEv2) tags but then it still thinks I have embedded album art so I’m not taking its word for this.

3. One pretty good solution to avoiding media refresh is to use a USB charger connected to a wall socket as you can charge your Clip+ and remove it without it wanting to refresh media (as it would if charged through a computer’s USB port). You can get one off Amazon (or suitable alternatives) cheap as chips.

4. I have a sneaking suspicion that there may be a problem with the card reader in the Clip+ as one time when connected, with the micro SD card in the Clip+'s card reader, Windows did tell me to insert a card - a sign of a dodgy card slot in the Clip+? Then again, I’m also using Windows Vista so who knows where that particular error lies.

I might give Rockbox another go - not sure why, but desparate people do desparate things - to see if there’s any way around this memory problem which seemed to prevent it from generating a database of MP3s when first loading. Is there a minimum requirement for empty space on the card / internal memory for this to work? … anyone? Having said that, if it’s still going to be limited to 1000 tracks then there’s not much point.

Feedback, opinions, advice and/or cruel jabs at tech companies (above the belt though, Queensbury rules still apply) are all more than welcome.

Cheers,

S

I might give Rockbox another go - not sure why, but desparate people do desparate things - to see if there’s any way around this memory problem which seemed to prevent it from generating a database of MP3s when first loading. Is there a minimum requirement for empty space on the card / internal memory for this to work? … anyone? Having said that, if it’s still going to be limited to 1000 tracks then there’s not much point.

Rockbox still uses the OF for USB on the Clip+ since it’s USB driver still has a lot of trouble with Windows (oddly it works fairly well with linux in spite of some evidently serious bugs).  Because of that you’d still have to boot into the OF for the time being, although since you don’t actually need to use the OF’s database, you can just hold power for 20 seconds to cap all DB refresh times to no more then 20 seconds :slight_smile:

Theres no file track limit in rockbox (well eventually you’ll run into issues with the FAT file system, but thats hundreds of thousands of files at least).  

I have a enw 4gb Clip+  and a class 4 sandisk microSD.

It’s currently taking around 15-20 minutes to “refresh” 2000ish songs… all on the SD card. Is this normal? What can I try to speed this process up. Even if I delete ONE track it goes through the refreshing all again…

I want to know if something is faulty or if this is acceptable?

Thanks

What is the capacity of your card?

I have a 32GB card, Class 4, pretty much full (around 3000+ songs), and it took about 27 minutes for the refresh the other day.  And yep, changing anything will result in the refresh.

I think I’ve read that the nature of ID3 tags can affect the refresh time–such as , the ID3 comment field filled in, and with long content. 

Mine’s a 32Gb Class 4 (I’m 95% sure of this but don’t want to take it out to check …), made by SanDisk.

There’s some big mismatch in the refresh time: my 6200 tracks take notably longer to refresh than other times reported here, even if we extrapolate the times based on the number of tracks. For my most recent bit of tweaking I did rip out everything in the tags except Title, Artist, Album and Track Number and the effect wasn’t great (I put the details on my previous post).

Part of my beef about the tags is that MP3 Tag seems to give me incorrect tag information (about the tag content and type of tag; also mentioned in my previous post). Can anyone recommend an MP3 tag editor that (1) is not MP3 Tag (2) is free and (3) will confirm that I’m using the correct form of MP3 tag (ie list tag types)?

At the moment I’m getting by with the wall charger to avoid unnecessary refreshes.

Cheers.

how about folder sorting? All my tracks are sorted into Artist and Album folders in the root on the SD…

Anyone tried having the files loose in the Root of the SD? or just inside one “Music” Folder?

@sak wrote:

At the moment I’m getting by with the wall charger to avoid unnecessary refreshes.

Perhaps I’m mis-recalling, but I thought that a refresh only occurs when you touch/change the contents, and that the player won’t refresh when you simply connect to your computer to charge. 

@miikerman wrote:

@sak wrote:

Perhaps I’m mis-recalling, but I thought that a refresh only occurs when you touch/change the contents, and that the player won’t refresh when you simply connect to your computer to charge. 

That is how my player behaves.  When I plug it into the usb port, let it charge and then safely remove it, the player does not refresh.  Even opening either memory with windows explorer and then closing the window without touching the contents doesn’t cause a refresh.

Not true on my clip+ and it makes me  very much miss my standard clip which i regret giving away now. i have a 2GB w/ 16GB micro SD card, filled about 60 percent, and more often than not when I’m about to start a run, the dreaded ‘refhreshing your media’ starts and lasts for WAYYYY too long. It’s maddening. Mind you, I’ve only put fav beats on the clip one time, and go many runs w/o charging the device so there’s been absolutely zero change to the music on it or any kind of manipulation to tracks. In fact, this happened twice yesterday on the same run, once at the beginning then i paused it in midcourse to take care of something; clip+ turned off, then I when I turned on, another ‘refreshing your media’.

I can’t seem to figure the rhyme or reason for it. sometimes, when I discretely pause then turn off, it comes right back to playlist, other times, it seemingly has to ‘refresh media’. I wonder… does this happen on the clip+ units w/ larger internal storage and w/o use of external micro SD. Im beginning to think their is a connection there.

Either way, I’m going to check out Rockbox as I have more faith in that crew than SD at this point. Are there any bugs/quirks to their newest build on this device? 

I’ve seen some post editing the ID3 tags in order to resolve this issue. I would never do that to my media as my tags are great otherwise and it would take to much time based on the number of albums I’m filling from. It just seems like a waste of time to resolve a bug that shouldn’t be there to begin with and wasn’t there to begin with on the standard clip, as I used to fill that device frequently from the same library of tracks and never an issue in this regard. 

@tekka_maki wrote:

Not true on my clip+ and it makes me  very much miss my standard clip which i regret giving away now. i have a 2GB w/ 16GB micro SD card, filled about 60 percent, and more often than not when I’m about to start a run, the dreaded ‘refhreshing your media starts’ and lasts for WAYYYY too long. It’s maddening. Mind you, I’ve only put fav beats on the clip one time, and go many runs w/o charging it so there’s been absolutely not change to the music on it. In fact, this happened twice yesterday on the same run, once at the beginning then i paused it in midcourse to take care of something; clip+ turned off, then I when I turned on, another ‘refreshing your media’.

I can’t seem to figure the rhyme or reason for it. sometimes, when I discretely pause then turn off, it comes right back to playlist, other times, it seemingly has to ‘refresh media’. I wonder… does this happen on the clip+ units w/ larger internal storage and w/o use of external micro SD. Im beginning to think their is a connection there.

Either way, I’m going to check out Rockbox as I have more faith in that crew than SD at this point. Are there any bugs/quirks to their newest build on this device? Thanks!

I suspect that maybe the reason yours sometimes spontaneously goes into refreshing, is maybe the card gets bumped…not enough to pop it out, but since it sticks out that little bit, that could possibly be what’s happening. I keep a silicone skin around the edge of the player, so the card is recessed, and that never happens to me, either in Rockbox or the OF.

As far as Rockbox, be aware that when you connect it to the computer to swap content, you still have to use the OF for that…but other than that you can use RB for everything else.

@tekka_maki wrote:

Not true on my clip+ and it makes me  very much miss my standard clip which i regret giving away now. i have a 2GB w/ 16GB micro SD card, filled about 60 percent, and more often than not when I’m about to start a run, the dreaded ‘refhreshing your media’ starts and lasts for WAYYYY too long. It’s maddening. Mind you, I’ve only put fav beats on the clip one time, and go many runs w/o charging the device so there’s been absolutely zero change to the music on it or any kind of manipulation to tracks. In fact, this happened twice yesterday on the same run, once at the beginning then i paused it in midcourse to take care of something; clip+ turned off, then I when I turned on, another ‘refreshing your media’.

Either way, I’m going to check out Rockbox as I have more faith in that crew than SD at this point. Are there any bugs/quirks to their newest build on this device? 

I’ve seen some post editing the ID3 tags in order to resolve this issue. I would never do that to my media as my tags are great otherwise and it would take to much time based on the number of albums I’m filling from. It just seems like a waste of time to resolve a bug that shouldn’t be there to begin with and wasn’t there to begin with on the standard clip, as I used to fill that device frequently from the same library of tracks and never an issue in this regard. 

Have you considered that it may be a hardware problem?  The wires that connect the card slot may have loosened up just a wee bit, enough to cause random refreshes.  If the player is still under warranty, you can try to get a warranty replacement.  Installing Rockbox will void any warranty that the player may have.

interesting idea that it’s being adjusted a tad. maybe that’s the case, but it almost seems flush and hence very difficult (one would think) to cause this. although i have noticed that if i pause a track and turn off player, it seems less likely to happen then if i just shut off. maybe placebo, who knows…

i’m def. gonna give rockbox a go. i suspect it’s reversible if i ever decide to seek warranty service on this unit, but honestly, it’s so cheap, and i’ve broken warranty similar things on far more higher priced merchandise, so why not! :slight_smile:

This is the worst firmware I have ever encountered bar none. Anyway I unboxed mine, thought it would be simple ya know drag n drop all nice like. Wrong. Ok so I put all my songs on, firstly theres no way to eject it safely but I guess thats not needed then. So i take it out. Then when it finally turns on I have this problem: The refresh! First it starts up, gets 20% done then resets, starts up with the refresh again, gets to like 30% then just stops. I left it for like an hour, maybe the battery is dead or something because it turned off before completion. But it WAS fully charged. I had put almost the full 8GB in on one transfer but come on! The battery is dead I’m playing with it now. You telling me you have a refresh on an mp3 player that takes longer than the capacity of the battery. This is nuts. Any suggestions… Also I have to take it in and out of the computer a few times before it even recognises the **bleep** thing. Any help would be good thanks.