SanDisk Clip Sport Firmware 1.27 released

My Zip was cheaper than my Sport.  Were it still available in the price range, I’d have got a new one of those.  Then again, if I hadn’t squashed it, I wouldn’t need to.

But I was just coming here to say, after a little research, I now know the silly volume issues are an EU nanny state thing and to apologise for blaming SanDisk.  I’m all for it warning me, but not forcing restrictions.   It now thinks I’m in America!

I still don’t think ading the genre, functionality already engineered and easy, would be rocket science, it feels more like a spiteful omission.

The omission of the genre tag support seems to be an effort to maximize the number of songs that can be in the song database. If the choice was for example to have a 1500 song database limit and support the genre tag, or 2,000 song limit and no genre tag support, most would choose to eliminate the genre tag support. 

@jk98 wrote:

The omission of the genre tag support seems to be an effort to maximize the number of songs that can be in the song database. If the choice was for example to have a 1500 song database limit and support the genre tag, or 2,000 song limit and no genre tag support, most would choose to eliminate the genre tag support. 

That indeed was the case.  Unfortunate subsequent generation hardware engineering, sadly.

@dailowe wrote:

It now thinks I’m in America!

Well, it could be worse.    :wink:

It now thinks I’m in America!

Well, it could be worse.    :wink:

I don’t care what it thinks. I live in the rest of the world.

It still is playing my Audible audibooks out of order. It will play Part 4 of a book before it will play Part 2. I tried to get around this by creating an .m3u playlist under the Music folder, but sometimes that doesn’t even work. When the player gets to part 2 on the playlist, it just plays part 1. It will play part 1 of the audiobook no matter what part I select when I select from the playlist. I think this might simply be due to the fact that the Clip Sport truncates long filenames. Is there any plan to fix this in the future with a later firmware? My Sansa E250 from 2007 did not have this problem.

Still the 2000 songs limitations, then I’ll stay to my 1.09 firmware.
I bought it in China and I suffer the stupid EU laws. This is the last time I buy SanDisk

Here is a link to a long discussion of Firmware version 1.28. This recent version increases the song limit to 4000 files. The internal memory and external micro sd card now each have a 4000 file limit for the Music playback mode. 

http://forums.sandisk.com/t5/SanDisk-Clip-Sport/Clip-Sport-FW-1-28-4K-database-Beta/td-p/342560

You can use Folder playback mode to access more than 4000 files if you use a 32 gb micro sd card. 

I don’t understand why they would take away “Genre” sorting. This is a must for any MP3 player. If i’m in the mood to listen to a certain type of music, I would like the ability to switch quickly instead of having to scroll though hundreds of artist/songs. Guess I will be returning this player. Definitely a downgrade from the previous clips, which all had Genre sorting.

Maybe try the MS Fix It app described at this web-link

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-vista/tips-for-solving-problems-with-usb-devices

@ywork13 wrote:

I don’t understand why they would take away “Genre” sorting. This is a must for any MP3 player. If i’m in the mood to listen to a certain type of music, I would like the ability to switch quickly instead of having to scroll though hundreds of artist/songs. Guess I will be returning this player. Definitely a downgrade from the previous clips, which all had Genre sorting.

It was a compromise:  the chip in the Sport is significantly less capable than the chip (since discontinued) in the earlier Clips; to increase the database capability of the Sport, the decision was made to sacrifice the Genre field.

I’m not an engineer, but I don’t understand why a move was not made to a more powerful, rather than less powerful, chip–chips typically only get more powerful and become less expensive over time.  But hey, I don’t run the SanDisk DAP player division . . . .

I guess part of it was to get longer battery life. Moving to a more powerful chip might have meant having a larger battery to still get decent battery life. This would likely have resulted in a larger player, or at least one with a more costly and stronger clip to hold the extra weight. While many Sandisk player fans might be willing to pay up to $100 for a player, Sandisk decided they want to stay under the $50 price point. I am also disappointed due to  the players Sandisk is offering now, and after 7 years of buying only Sandisk players, I bought two players of a different brand. I won’t discuss them here. Head-fi.org is the place for discussing other brands of players. I hope Sandisk comes out with some new and exciting players.