Rockbox?

@atz wrote:
Mr. Conversion Box, are you challenging me? I won’t have any pictures now because I’m about to go sleep but if you’re really so keen to see Rockbox on my Fuze, I can always sort it out for you tomorrow.

It wasnt out yesterday… If you have a beta of some type you are a very lucky person. However If the official release hit we would have seen more mention of it on here.

So lets Go with Yeah. I would like to see pictures…

Message Edited by Conversionbox on 04-14-2009 10:12 PM

@conversionbox wrote:

It wasnt out yesterday… If you have a beta of some type you are a very lucky person. However If the official release hit we would have seen more mention of it on here.

That is the beauty of open source software like RockBox. Anyone with skill and determination can check out the SVN, apply patches and compile his/her own version.

Reading the rockbox forum it sounds possible that people have it partially working on their Fuze.

I would like pics too though. Pics are pretty. And I hope ATZ can figure out how to unfreeze his/her fuze.

@7o9 wrote:

@conversionbox wrote:

That is the beauty of open source software like RockBox. Anyone with skill and determination can check out the SVN, apply patches and compile his/her own version.

Reading the rockbox forum it sounds possible that people have it partially working on their Fuze.

I would like pics too though. Pics are pretty. And I hope ATZ can figure out how to unfreeze his/her fuze.

Lets put it this way… You “Rockbox” your fuze… odds are… you make a paper weight

@conversionbox wrote:

Lets put it this way… You “Rockbox” your fuze… odds are… you make a paper weight

Probably not quite that bad, but it’s definitely not ready for prime time, at least from the comments the developers are throwing around.

They do have MP3 and Ogg Vorbis playback running stable, although it’s using a lot more CPU power, and therefore battery power than they’d like.  Audio for video works, but not video.

Sorry for the awful quality pics but that’s because they’re done with phone, there’s no real way to prove that these are genuine and mine but I’ll live.

3rd and last image shows one of the games being played ^^

Message Edited by ATZ on 04-15-2009 07:04 AM

Wow. That looks pretty good!

A “RockBox” Fuze. Interesting.

Are there any features that we don’t already have? The battery issue definitely needs to be fixed.

Awesome! Can’t wait to try Bejeweled on my fuze :smiley:

The Rockbox is still a bit buggy, the biggest issue must be the battery life, it’s not awfully bad (I haven’t tested it out properly) but it’s definetely a bit shorter. Try the Fuze Rockbox simulator, you get all the features, games e.t.c. on the Rockbox I’m using. It’s not an official version

ATZ, you said your Fuze froze when you were experimenting with RockBox. Apparently you unfroze it, so does that mean RockBox is safe to try without “bricking” the Fuze?

Also, is this RockBox next to the original firmware so you can switch back by holding some button while turning it on like with other RockBox ports?

I have to restrain myself from asking you for help on getting my Fuze RockBoxed, as I am guaranteed to screw it up :slight_smile:

Nice news though, and thanks for the pics.

instead of possibly bricking your Fuze by trying to Rockbox it before the Rockbox folks are done with a port- 

you can grab a Sansa c240’s and Rockbox it.

the c240 is smaller than Fuze and only $10 here

http://www.froobi.com/1469/sandisk-sansa-c240-1gb-mp3-media-player-factory-re-certified.html

Rockbox on the c240 does overcome some limitations the Sansa Firmware dores not, like thre 2GB vs 8GB microSD size limitation.

I like having both players and the fact i can swap/share the microSD cards.

I actually like the control pad on the c240 for something like MAME on Rockbox, it’s just too bad the screen is so small

(but i’m still trying to get it to work anyway… )

Or you could try the Emulator Vice86 posted on page 1 of this thread.

Very sweet.

Message Edited by Peregrine on 04-15-2009 02:12 PM

It froze the first time I tried playing a song but that’s the only time, I would say it’s pretty safe and it’s relatively easy to do (although with no Rockbox exp it turned out to be confusing). You can only change back to the original software if you replace the Rockbox firmware on your phone with a fresh copy of factory firmware.

7o9 - If you want to, I can send you all the required files and do an instruction for you but remember 1) You can only revert back by replacing the Rockbox software with the original factory firmware, 2) Battery life will be decreased 3) You will see some bugs in the menus e.t.c. while all options and functions should work

how do you install it

with the last firmware update we had a lot of improvements, but I really would like to try out rockbox…at least for video support (I’m on linux) and theming/skins (and yes for gaming too, but is not really important to me!)

I can confirm that games work, all of them and some of them are actually really interesting and nice (for an mp3 player), dunno about Video though because I have no need for videos and I haven’t tried it out. I’m not sure if I should really be spreading info on how to rockbox your fuze as the info and the official version haven’t been released, I will PM people with instructions on request as long as they don’t run around braging

@belze wrote:

with the last firmware update we had a lot of improvements, but I really would like to try out rockbox…at least for video support (I’m on linux) and theming/skins (and yes for gaming too, but is not really important to me!)

As I said in an earlier post:

@tenzip wrote:

They do have MP3 and Ogg Vorbis playback running stable, although it’s using a lot more CPU power, and therefore battery power than they’d like.  Audio for video works, but not video.

I’m perfectly content to wait for the ‘official’ release.  Buggy firmware can be a real pain.  But if anyone wants to try it, go right ahead, it won’t brick your player, but it’s not supported AT ALL at this point by Rockbox.  If you have problems, you’re on your own.

where is this rockbox for the fuze that people in the last few posts are talking about

can u give me a link

Allow me ATZ…

-JRDNKASPAREK-

“Quote ATZ from 2 posts above yours”

I’m not sure if I should really be spreading info on how to rockbox your fuze as the info

and the official version haven’t been released ,

I will PM people with instructions on request

as long as they don’t run around braging

@jrdnkasparek wrote:

where is this rockbox for the fuze that people in the last few posts are talking about

can u give me a link

Can you type www.rockbox.org into your browser’s address bar? Or click the link? Because there is no official release, you’ll have to look around the Rockbox site to find one of the daily builds or beta version, but if you have trouble finding it you probably shouldn’t even consider trying it on your Fuze.