MP3 sound quality

@miikerman wrote:

E.g. “no idea what you’re talking about,” “jibberish” . . . .

Calling bull**bleep** when I see it has nothing to do with my ego, just my integrity. If you disagree with me, feel free to explain how.

@neutron_bob wrote:

No worries. I’ll just stick a few thousand little post-it notes on years of accumulated data sheets. There’s too much dependence upon simulation programs these days. I learned in the days of the slide rule.

Bob :stuck_out_tongue:

First of all, lots of people have measured this. There is no difference. You haven’t measured anything. I know this because if you had you wouldn’t have tried to say that two identical DACs aren’t identical :slight_smile: Second, who mentioned simulation? I tried to explain to you how the output impedance of amplifiers relates to performance, and how coupling relates to impedance, but this isn’t related to simulating anything. Its just basic amplifier terminology familiar to anyone who has worked in electronics or acoustics. I get it that you think you have some kind of understanding here, and maybe you do know something about electronics in general, but given that you keep misunderstanding what common terms mean in this context, maybe you should reconsider. Or at least take a look at that wikipedia page I gave you before.

Oh, bother. I’ll take the bait.

For an audio waveform, the ultimate measurement is to listen to the result. Unless we are interested in performance curves, “measurements” are empirical. However, you could load the device with a resistance and measure the current available for a given signal. The limitation is yout Ic or _coll_ector current.

Vcbo remains the same unless you are saturating the little guy, or have a low resistance shunt load.

Go back to ypur post (11) and carefully re-read. The comparison is between two Austria Microsystems based devices, the v2 e200 and Clip.  You have forgotten that the v1 device is a PortalPlayer based platform, very different.  Pop the covers on one, you’ll see that the circuit board is completely different.

You really have no idea of the experience of those you choose to bully. Please, this isn’t the place. I’m a devices guy, quite familiar with the topologies involved. The little Clips are amazing machines, infinitesimal stacked against the single output devices I’ve worked with. With the smaller battery of the Clip, there is a trade between raw power and runtime, unless you wish to employ an outboard headphone amplifier.

Bob  :wink:

For an audio waveform, the ultimate measurement is to listen to the result.

DACs don’t produce audio waveforms, they produce electrical waveforms which can be fed into a pair of headphones.  If you want to know how good a DAC is, you need to look at the waveform it produces.  You can do this with headphones, but its very difficult, and the results will depend on the choice of headphones.  Choose poorly and your results may not be easy to generalize.

However, you could load the device with a resistance and measure the current available for a given signal. The limitation is yout Ic orcollector current.

Ugh, no its not.  Collector current is on BJTs, but these are FETs.  There is no collector.  There is no Ic.  Don’t tell me about it because it doesn’t exist.    

What you mean to say is probably the short circuit current, although this is usually not measured for DACs because it can damage them.  Instead you measure the output impedance by varying the load impedance at constant voltage and measuring the voltage drop.  Once you have the output impedance, you can calculate the current for any load.

Go back to ypur post (11) and carefully re-read. The comparison is between two Austria Microsystems based devices, the v2 e200 and Clip.  You have forgotten that the v1 device is a PortalPlayer based platform, very different.

Nope.  Although the e200v1 does use a PP CPU, it also uses a AMS DAC.  The specific chip, the PP5024 is as aPP5022 + AS 3514.  The Clipv1 and Fuzev1 use an AMS 3525 CPU, which also has an onboard AS3514.  So same DAC, same voltages.

Now that you know that, go back and read what I wrote:

" there is no difference in power they can theoretically supply.  I doubt there is any difference, since the E200v1, E200v2, Clip and Clip Zip all use similar AMS DACs driven at the same voltage."

Note that I’m refering to power specifically.  There is a difference in impedance , but not one in power.  So while the two devices have different output impedance (due to the capacitive vs. direct coupling issue I explained above), they have almost identical voltages available because they have identical amplifiers and regulators.  

You really have no idea of the experience of those you choose to bully.

Bullying?  please, I’m just stopping you from giving ignorant advice in this thread.  I’m sorry that has upset you so much, but as I’ve said before I’m not going to let you spread nonsense around just to spare your feelings.  You are simply wrong here.  There is no way to sugar coat that.  The best I can do for you is correct your mistakes and give you the information you need to educate yourself.

With the smaller battery of the Clip, there is a trade between raw power and runtime

Actually, the Clip output level is about as high as any portable DAP made, of any battery size.  What you’re saying makes intuitive sense, but if you look at the situation a little more carefully, you’ll see why its wrong.  With 32 ohm headphones, a 2V swing on the amp output results in just 15.6 mW of output power per channel!  And no portable player can manage even this. So the actual electrical power delivered is typically very small.  Under typical conditions with ear buds, most people are just delivering a few hundred microwatts of power per ear.  With such low power involved, the actual draw of the DAC+Amp is basically negligible and the real limitation becomes not the battery capacity, but rather the power supply voltages available (typically 2.5v in most SOC designs).

I’m a devices guy, quite familiar with the topologies involved.

No you are not.  You don’t really understand much of anything about these devices.  Let me put this politely:  you need to get your head out of your butt, admit that you’re wrong, and start reading about this stuff.  You obviously have some background in electronics, so there is no reason you couldn’t understand this if you took the time.  There are plenty of resources available.  

Start with the wiki page I linked before explaining the relation between output impedance and dampening so you understand why impedance matters.  Then Google ‘nwavguy’ and read through his detailed discussions of proper headphone amplifier testing.  Thats all the background you need.  Then look at his testing of the Clip+'s maximum output level and output impedance.  Finally, if you really want to know how these devices work, take a look at our source code for the Clip+'s DAC driver.  In particular my patches for maxing out the volume level may be intereseting to you, since a lot of testing went into those and is still archieved on the ABI forums.  

Thinking about this more, i’m just kind of amazed we’re having this argument.

You’re really going to accuse me of not knowing whats in the e200? I spent quite a lot of time with mine taken apart and a scope wired up to it to figure out which bits flipped off which ICs when we were writing the power management code.  Trust me, I know what chips are in there.

Or you going to accuse me of not knowing about the power level in the device?  Go search rockbox commit logs.  It was dfkt and I who figured out the maximum Clip output level measuring on his player at each level to check for distortion.  Then I fixed the driver to run at the maximum possible output level.  Trust me, I know what that level is.  Or don’t trust me, and just use my code and see for yourself.

Seriously, I’ve put a lot of work into measuring, optimizing and debugging this stuff.  Anyone can look through the git logs and see just how much experience I have, or they can appreciate it by using our software.  My work speaks for me.  And yet you accuse me of not appeciating your “experience”.  Well what have you done?  Do you have anything to back up your boasting and selfaggrandizement?   If you do, I haven’t seen it.  

Somehow, I’d really like it better if ego could be filtered out. There’s no boasting save replies. That isn’t  important. what is important is to consider your replies replete with bad mojo.

Take the v2, same headphone, same track as the Clip. Adjust volume and enjoy. I’m sorry if you don’t perceive the difference, but the smaller machine has a warmer, less analytical sound than its brother. I never said it was unpleasant,  better, worse, but that the difference is there, and that I am quite happy with it. In the begnning of this cordial thread, that was the spirit and intent.

Taking larger open ear headphones, the diffrence is significant enough to hang your hat on. The e280 handles this with aplomb, but i don’t task the Zip with it. The Clip is optimally designed for its portabiity; I carry the little guys everywhere.

The only component of the Clip’s output that i have tried to relate to you is its final task, supplying power to the headphone. Real meat and potatoes control of the output, not the controlling DAC, the output section.

I have been through enough in my life that I have no need to pee on the trees to mark my territory. If you have followed my words through the years, this should be self evident. I have never called anyone ignorant, nor would I start. Here we differ. I don’t  know your situation, but I find it preferable to keep things cordial and respectful. It’s no place for challenges.

Bob  :stuck_out_tongue:

Somehow, I’d really like it better if ego could be filtered out. There’s no boasting save replies. That isn’t  important. what is important is to consider your replies replete with bad mojo.

If you could filter out your ego, you’d have already learned enough to stop this ridiculous argument.

Take the v2, same headphone, same track as the Clip. Adjust volume and enjoy. I’m sorry if you don’t perceive the difference, but the smaller machine has a warmer, less analytical sound than its brother. I never said it was unpleasant,  better, worse, but that the difference is there, and that I am quite happy with it.

How much experience do you have doing listening tests of hardware?  I’m guessing not much more then you have with portable audio in general.  Its  extremely difficult to do.  You can’t just “adjust the volume and enjoy”.  You need to measure the output levels and match them, possibly using external hardware to calibrate them precisely.  Even a small error here will completely invalidate your results.

99% of the time when something sounds warmer, it just means its a half dB or so louder.  Since these devices only have +/-1.5 dB volume control, I suspect the reason you think identical devices sound different is that you haven’t taken enough care to volume match them.

This is an elementary error, but one you can easily fix.  Try playing back a 1KHz tone and recording the output.  Then measure teh difference in RMS level.  Once its equalized, we can talk about proper blinding of these samples.

The only component of the Clip’s output that i have tried to relate to you is its final task, supplying power to the headphone. Real meat and potatoes control of the output, not the controlling DAC, the output section.

The output section is directly integrated into the DAC, and in fact controlled by the DAC’s register map.  Again, why are you trying to tell me this?  You don’t actually know anything about this!  The best you can say is things I already know, and more likely you’ll just be wrong.

I have been through enough in my life that I have no need to pee on the trees to mark my territory. If you have followed my words through the years, this should be self evident. I have never called anyone ignorant, nor would I start.

This is your problem.  You should be aknowledging your own ignorance.  Everyone makes mistakes.  Everyone overestimates their own knowledge and falls flat on their face.  Its part of the process of learning.  A smart man learns from his mistakes and doesn’t fall again the same way.  A fool keeps his head up his ass and falls again and again.  Don’t be a fool.  Get your head out of your butt.

I don’t  know your situation, but I find it preferable to keep things cordial and respectful.

Theres nothing respectful about bull**bleep**ting people.  You’ve done nothing but mislead and mistate in order to protect your own ego at the expense of the community.  You’ve made up things about circuits, about batteries, about transistors, and about DACs all to avoid admitting your mistakes.  When I’ve pointed out your falsehoods, you’ve become indigant, accused me falsely, or just slinked away.  If you’re not going to be honest, I can see no reason that anyone should respect you, and I certainly won’t quietly let you mislead the community for your selfish reasons.  

If you want to be “cordial and respectful” you can start by being honest, first with yourself and then with me.  If you want to do that, feel free to hang out in this thread.  I’m more then willing to help you or anyone else here learn about electronics, either the analog stuff or hardware hacking for rockbox.  

With all due respect. y’all need to chill.  If you want to argue electronics, great, go to it.  But it can be done without the insults and profanity.  Last time I did electronics, the electrons didn’t much care about swearing–they just get down to work.   :wink:

I get an echo or reverb sound on vocal tracks, and the volume is lower than the music portion. Any ideas?