Major FLAC playback issues on v1 Fuze, firmware v1.02.28A

@turbosaab16 wrote:

Apparently Fuze is very, very finicky about what program encodes the FLAC. Very annoying.

For the record, I re-ripped my tracks at compression level 8, and they all played fine. So compression level was not the issue.

If the encoder was the issue it should not have been necessary to rerip all your CD’s.  Just re-encode with the encoder that works for you.   No bother with loading CD’s, plus should be much faster.

I’m having this same issue.  Can I take my current Flac files (thousands) and run them through a program like dbpoweramp or media converter and do a flac to flac conversion?  This would be automated I’m guessing and would save the manual loading and unloading of all the CDs again.  Would this somehow make it playable in my Fuze?  which program allows batch converting that KEEPS the folder structure?  Most batch converters only allow files from multiple folders to be added at once but the result is a single output folder with thousands of files dumped in it.

Also, once this is done, I can’t seem to find a free Flac to MP3 converter that keeps the folder title and folder structure in the output process while still adding big batches of folders to be converted.  Any help would be appreciated!

Its not clear to me why your files don’t play, but sure lots of software can do FLAC > FLAC transcoding. I recommend foobar2000, but dbpoweramp is also popular. I would try one file first and see if it works.

Do you know of any that preserve the original folder structure if I add multiple folders into the software for batch conversion?

Yes, foobar or dbpoweramp will do that.

I tried foobar, it seems to dump the output from multiple folders (where original files reside) to one output folder with all files in one big pile rather than in individual folders.  If you are familiar with Foobar maybe you can help me with settings to be sure it is happening correctly.  Thanks

Something about how FreeRip3 rips CDs to FLAC has kept my Sansa Fuze from reading the files.  It sees them, when you hit play it rapidly scans through the whole folder of tracks but won’t play them.  I’ve researched online no luck, others have tried changing encoding level, no luck, I think it has to do with the flac ID tags that FreeRip may handle them differently.  Others have tried batch fixing the ID tags using mp3tag that didn’t help either.  I’m thinking of reencoding with a program known to work with FUZE but unless it is automated, I can’t invest the time to do folder by folder.

I need a good batch converter from FLAC to MP3 (free and preserving folder structure after the recode) and hope along the way the MP3 tags don’t get messed up because of this issue.

Thanks

JDK

FreeRip and the Fuze don’t get along.

Traders Little Helper does conversions. I don’t know about your file structure.

http://tlh.easytree.org/

@knibbeje wrote:

I tried foobar, it seems to dump the output from multiple folders (where original files reside) to one output folder with all files in one big pile rather than in individual folders.  If you are familiar with Foobar maybe you can help me with settings to be sure it is happening correctly. 

Select your files > convert > …

On the screen that pops up, choose the destination option.  Enter the structure you want.

What do you mean by ‘enter the structure you want’  How do you specify that besides just telling the destination folder?  How do you tell each origin folder to create a similar named destination folder in the master destination folder?