How is your Sansa Clip battery life?

yes but the SQ is weak.

what about mp3 vs ogg at same bitrate. I know ogg is not exactly CBR, but a VBR format. 

I want to find the best compromise for battery and also get decent sound. 

I just got my clip yesterday,ordered it online from the Sansa store.I guess I could have gone to Wal-mart…

This is my first mp3 player.It arrived with no charge.I hooked it up to the back of my computer and started charging and downloading through Rhapsody.Very easy to work with.Shut it off last night,and going to work today for about 7 hours…I will let you know how things work out! The charge right now says 100 % according to the screen.I am using the factory speakers and will be playing it about 3/4 volume.

@icsterm wrote:

yes but the SQ is weak.

what about mp3 vs ogg at same bitrate. I know ogg is not exactly CBR, but a VBR format. 

I want to find the best compromise for battery and also get decent sound. 

Ogg Vorbis(it’s not just Ogg) will sound better than MP3 at those middling bitrates…and VBR owns CBR anyways. However, it does use a little more battery to play Vorbis than MP3, but it should be much less demanding than FLAC.

One thing though…it’s recommended to let the player charge fully before you start really using it. They ship it with a partial charge so you can take it out of the box and play for a few minutes, but then you should charge it fully. Also, turn your screen brightness down, and shorten the backlight time if you’re terribly concerned with max battery life. The KSC75’s do take a bit of power to drive, as you figured out. My FiiO solved that problem though.

I just played it a continuous 6.5 hours at 3/4 volume,and the screen shows half used,so thats good! The only problem I find is the speaker jack goes in and out when jiggled.I also found the lock button to be a real asset.Not bad for 50 bucks!

Yep i will order my Fiio E5 today to lower the output volume and get high output power from the separated amp.

I think i’l stick with OGG Q10 VBR 320-500kbps for near-lossless SQ. 

I find the FLAC battery uptime decent - 15% drained per hour with highest volume setting. 

When i get my Fiio amp i will review the playback time. 

Message Edited by icsterm on 01-22-2009 11:02 PM

@icsterm wrote:

Hi there,

Just bought today a brand new 8gb clip.

I only managed to play 2 hours of music on it. Initial charge was about 80%. All my music is in flac format(~900kbps). Also my pair of headphones (Koss KSC75) are high impedance (60 ohm). I preffer high volume setting at about 90%.

How much battery playback time can i expect?

My battery level dropped in about 1h playback from 80% to 60%.

Only 5h of total playback time then? Should i change to an lossy format (for example ogg) and a pair of IEM’s to maximize the battery playback time?

Is the battery drain so high when playing lossless on high volume/impedance headphones? If so, about how much in comparison with a normal situation. Lets say all tracks at 128kbps mp3 at about 50% volume with standard headphones that came with the player.

I also have the new 8GB clip and find that I get about 6-7 hours of battery life when playing FLAC files (with Etymotic ER6iheadphones). By contast, by playing 128kbps MP3s, the battery lasts at least twice as long (around 14 hours). While I understand FLAC and OGG files use more power, is there any chance a firmware update can help to close the gap in battery life between playing MP3s and FLAC files? 6-7 hours is rather disappointing.

FLAC is a memory intensive because of the ‘huge’ file size and bandwidth needed to process. Anyway, i switched to ogg VBR q5 and i scored 10 hours+.

Lossless is a bad factor for battery life. What about wave format? (uncompressed).

Message Edited by icsterm on 01-25-2009 04:31 PM

I have a 1GB Clip.  I mostly listen to recorded books as .WAV files at 64kbps and get about 10 hrs. on the battery, playing at max volume.  Not to go off topic, but I have found that my clip recharges fairly quickly so that, even when 10 hours won’t get me through a whole day, a quick session with the charger seems to do the trick.  As a result, I have stopped obsessing so much about battery /charge life as when I first bought the device, which is my first digital (non-CD) player.

N.B., I have to play at max volume because I don’t hear so well.  I had bought a FiiO E3 to allow play at lower volume to extend battery life, but, on balance, simply recharging turned out to be less of a hassle.  Now I only use the FiiO to play the Clip through a radio.

The thing limiting the Clip’s battery life is it’s diminuitive size. Small DAP=small battery. Considering how small the battery is, it actually does pretty well- but when I decide to upgrade from my 2GB Clip, I may just go for the Fuze or some other, larger player, that has a larger battery and thus gets substantially longer run time out of a charge.

@cllipman wrote:
The thing limiting the Clip’s battery life is it’s diminuitive size. Small DAP=small battery. Considering how small the battery is, it actually does pretty well- but when I decide to upgrade from my 2GB Clip, I may just go for the Fuze or some other, larger player, that has a larger battery and thus gets substantially longer run time out of a charge.

Yes, join the ranks of those who have both Fuze and Clip. I’ve certainly enjoyed having both 

I’ve had almost the exact experience.  Got the wife a 1Gig from Wal-Mart and it works fine.  Mine is a 2Gig from B&H Photo and the charge doesn’t last and leaks badly when not in use.  Maybe I’ll replace it with a Fuse or a 1 Gig.  I may ■■■■ and moan to Sandisk too.

nitnop

hi all ,what is specification battery sansa clip 2GB with frimware 01.01.18f?

for example:

voltage:

mAh:

and if battery sansa wil fault,how replace it.and how open sansa.if U have pic from openned  sansa.PLz give me.

Thax

Google ‘take apart sansa clip’.

hi, I know battery voltage 3.7 v.(anything about ipod-disassemble sansa topic).but i dont know mah?

As far as i know it’s an 330mAh battery.

My 2GB Sansa Clip doesn’t hold a charge long, discharges quickly with use, and takes FOREVER to charge, even if it’s only 1/8 low.  I returned my first one for the same problem; nothing different with this 2nd one.  Will try returning it to another store in a nearby city to see if I can get one from another shipment.  HAS ANYONE FOUND A 2GB SANSA CLIP THAT HOLDS ITS CHARGE?

Taken from my battery test thread:  http://forums.sandisk.com/sansa/board/message?board.id=clip&message.id=14428

Being curious how long my Clip’s battery lasts while playing certain bitrate songs, I started conducting tests.   Testing details are at the end of this post.

The results:    I will update as I complete more tests.  Test Results in Hours Minutes Seconds  HH:MM:SS

Battery Recharging Test Summery: - Charge times from a completely dead battery.

Charging Silver Clip 4GR1:

Charging from Desktop PC USB:  Test1:  03:39:00    Test2:  03:45:00
   Charging from AC adapter:      Test1:  02:20:00    Test2:

Charging Black Clip 8GR2:

Charging from Desktop PC USB:  Test1:  02:40:00   Test2:  02:30:00  * charged faster than Silver same USB port*
   Charging from AC adapter:      Test1:  02:16:00   Test2:  02:24:00

Do headphones make a significant impact on battery life?

Black 8GR2 playing Flac Level8 encoded album at 1/2 Volume

Standard Sansa Earphones       xx:xx:xx
  Skull Candy FMJ 9mm in-ear     07:46:00
  Sennheiser HD-595              07:40:00
  No headphone - Zero 0 Vol      07:45:00

Playing Time - Comparing the Silver 4GR1 vs… Black 8GR2:  1/4 Volume

Silver Flac Lvl8            : 09:02:00  * Silver wins lasting an hour longer than the Black 8GR2 *
  Black  Flac Lvl8            : 07:46:00    I don’t understand why???  I’m going to retest again

Silver Flac Lvl0            : 08:59:00  * Silver wins lasting an hour longer than the Black 8GR2 *
  Black  Flac Lvl0            :~07:50:00    Died between two checks - this is an approximate guess +/- 10 min

Silver Ogg q8.5 ~256k       :           * Going to retest - Silver died while I was away *
  Black  Ogg q8.5 ~256k       : 08:05:00  * Black was still playing so it wins but not sure by what *

Silver Ogg q5 ~151k         : 10:15:00
  Black  Ogg q5 ~151k         : 12:12:00  * Black 8GR2 lasted 2 hours longer than the Silver 4GR1*

Silver MP3 v0 ~252k VBR     : 15:07:00  * Appears ARM clocking to be same as that of v2       
  Black  MP3 v0 ~252k VBR     : 17:18:00  
Black 8GR2 lasted 2 hours longer than the Silver 4GR1*

Silver MP3 v2 ~190k VBR     : 15:09:00  * Appears ARM clocking to be same as that of v0       
  Black  MP3 v2 ~190k VBR     : 17:22:00  
Black 8GR2 lasted 2 hours longer than the Silver 4GR1*

Silver MP3 v6 ~128k VBR     : 17:40:00
  Black  MP3 v6 ~128k VBR     : 20:47:00  * Amazing.  lasted 3 hours longer than the Silver 4GR1*

Playing Time - Comparing Various Encoding Options:

Silver 4GR1: Standard Sansa Earphones

Flac Level8        :  1/2 Vol = 09:02:00    1/4 Vol = 09:15:00

Ogg q5 ~151k VBR   :  1/2 Vol = 10:03:00    1/4 Vol = 10:15:00
   MP3 128k CBR       :  1/2 Vol = 17:20:00

MP3 v6 ~128k VBR   :  1/4 Vol = 17:40:00

Black  8GR2:  Skull Candy FMJ’s

Flac Level8        :  1/2 Vol = 07:46:00

Black  8GR2:  Standard Sansa Earphones

Ogg q5 ~151k VBR   :  1/4 Vol = 12:12:00

MP3 v6 ~128k VBR   :  1/4 Vol = 20:47:00

MP3 v2 ~190k VBR   :  1/4 Vol = 17:18:00

Playing time vs… Volume level?

Black 8GR2 - Flac Level 8 encode

1/2 Vol - Sennheiser HD-595  07:40:00
    0 Vol - No headphones      07:45:00
  1/4 Vol - Standard phones

What effects the battery life of the Sansa Clip?

Processor:   Arm CPU clock speed

Amplifier:   Volume level?

Display:     OLED display with adjustable Brightness - not a factor in these tests -
                 display not on frequent enough to be measurable.

Music:       Codec and Encoding Bitrate affects Arm CPU clock speed,
                 Type of? Easy listening vs… HardCore? Power required for amp to reproduce the waveform?

Headphones: Impedance of headphones?

Hardware: Both clips were formatted, reset to factory settings and loaded with the same test files.  EQ on Normal

Silver 4 gig Revision 1 Clip  Firmware version: 01.01.30a
  Black  8 gig Revision 2 Clip  Firmware version: 02.01.16a

Headphones used:
  Standard Sansa Earphones
  Skull Candy FMJ 9mm in-ear
  Sennheiser HD-595 - Full sized headphones

Music used for test:
  Album used:  Kings of Leon - Only By The Night - Length 00:42:39
  Ripped from CD using dBpoweramp - AccurateRip 1411 Kbps Flac 44.1K/s 16 bit Stereo
  Ripped as a single Flac file, 42 minutes 39 seconds long   00:42:39

Codecs used for encoding:
  MP3 lame 3.98
  Ogg aoTuV b5
  Flac 1.2.1

Test Details:

The album was played endlessly on repeat until the battery ran out of juice and the player died (battery low).  Test Results in Hours Minutes Seconds  HH:MM:SS. Seconds were ignored, not significant.  In any individual data sampling test there is uncertainty.  Don’t be surprised at the variation.  You can’t calculate to the minute exactly how long your battery will last.

Observation on battery power percentage measurement:
Power percentages through windows property and through the Clips menu vary.  I’ve seen the clip at 0% but windows reports it at 11%.  Use the Power% like a gas gauge.   It isn’t perfectly linear and sometimes it seem to stick.  Turning the Clip off and on can sometimes display a different Power%. 

The Power% measures in increments.  0,7,14,21,28,35,42,50,57,65,71,78,85,92,100

Volume Control Settings used for this test:
  Clips volume control appears to have approximately 40 clicks from zero volume to Max volume
  0 clicks = zero Vol,  10 clicks = 1/4 Vol,  20 clicks = 1/2 Vol,  30 clicks = 3/4 Vol

==========

I don’t experience any issues with battery leakage, other than once in awhile I may leave it playing when I am wearing it, or after I unplug it from the power.   The clips battery lasts an amazing long time.       I stick with higher bit rate VBR MP3’s  encoded with Lame’s codec.  v0 or v2 settings and get around 15 hours of use ( I have never ran out of juice , as I usually plug it back in after a long day).  

I may repeat a few tests in 6 months to see if the battery degrades over time.    They say at 500 charges you will still get 80% battery capacity,  so with normal use I expect the clip lasts a decent time.    At least long enough for the next cheap mp3 player to be released with more memory.

Niko

Wow–great, comprehensive benchmarks!

:slight_smile:

(And amazing to see the Clips lasting 15-17+ hours for well-encoded MP3 files!)

>> Silver wins lasting an hour longer than the Black 8GR2 *
    I don’t understand why???  I’m going to retest again<<

I think the problem is that there is a quality control issue in the manufacturing of the batteries. You could compare several Clips of the same capacities and colors, and still get wildly different results between them. i.e. there are some 2GB red Clips that play 11 hours…and some that will play for 15 hours…and some that lose charge when not even playing.

The batteries are the weak links in the Clips. You just happen to be seeing the difference between two Clips of different capacities and different colors…but you’d still likely experience those differences even if you were testing two identical Clips. They all have the same battery…and it’s just the luck of the draw as to whether any Clip has a good, mediocre or bad battery.

@cllipman wrote:

>> Silver wins lasting an hour longer than the Black 8GR2 *
    I don’t understand why???  I’m going to retest again<<

I think the problem is that there is a quality control issue in the manufacturing of the batteries. You could compare several Clips of the same capacities and colors, and still get wildly different results between them. i.e. there are some 2GB red Clips that play 11 hours…and some that will play for 15 hours…and some that lose charge when not even playing.

The batteries are the weak links in the Clips. You just happen to be seeing the difference between two Clips of different capacities and different colors…but you’d still likely experience those differences even if you were testing two identical Clips. They all have the same battery…and it’s just the luck of the draw as to whether any Clip has a good, mediocre or bad battery.

Yes,  I agree there is battery capacity variations.    They are  probably all within an acceptable power range.   

What I don’t understand about the tests is, the Rev 2 black clip was consistantly averaging  longer play times for both ogg and mp3 formatted files.   I did many and the variance was consistant with these two formats.    But on the Flac encoded files,  it was reversed and an unexpected result.     This makes me suspect that the firmware on the Rev 1 clips are clocked at a slower rate for Flac encoding than the Rev 2 clips.    It’s just suspect,  I hope someone at sansa notices this, and checks.   :slight_smile: