Fuze track order is making me nuts - please help!

Black-Rectangle wrote:

If you buy tracks from most bigtime retailers, they have track number as part of the ID tag, in the Track field.  That way, if someone buys the whole album, it plays in order. It doesn’t make sense for, say,  Amazon or eMusic  to offer separate tracks without the track numbers–they’d have to encode and store twice as many. If the single happens to be (as usual) Track 2, and the buyer doesn’t buy Track 1,  it’s no big deal.

But there are also a lot of people who buy full albums. And musicians truly agonize over the proper sequence, even though now everyone puts things on shuffle anyway. If you did go to Artist and Play All on the Fuze, it would play the albums (alphabetically) and the established sequence of tracks within each album. 

Exactly what happened when you tried to play the tracks you had supposedly alphabetized and then put in track order?  What order did they play in? 

I only wish I could describe that - if it weren’t such a mystery what these tracks were sorting themselves on, or what phantom artifact was throwing it off,  then I may have resolved this issue already. 

Black-Rectangle wrote:

How did you put the track numbers on? Manually? With a tagging program?

Yes, and yes. Used a tag editor, but they were all hand-punched in because the robot features aren’t quite self-explanatory.

Black-Rectangle wrote:

Using leading zeroes and no slashes? (1/12, etc., is not good for the Fuze.)  Are you sure you saved them? It should really not be giving you this much trouble with the right ID3 version. Zillions of people use tagging software or get legitimate mp3s with no problems. 

Yes to all. All checked a thousand times times. And that point about nobody else having this problem hasn’t escaped me either. Having checked, so very carefully, everything which anyone here could think of, it’s a bit discouraging that I would be so unlucky, because I have brought everything which would be apparent to anyone who understands the basic grade-school sorting principles, but little about tagging technology up to everybody’s specs.

I have noticed so many settings options in EasyTag that deciding where to begin could only be random at this point. Besides discrete tabs for Browser, File Settings, and Scanner (to name a few) there are two separate tag tabs (Tag Settings and ID3 Tag Settings), and under the Misc. tab I noticed a long scroll of Sorting List Options (not clear on how this should be expected to control the actual sorting when transferred to another system like Fuze). As for “Scanning”, I dare not touch it, not having any clear idea what the context is with that.

Black-Rectangle wrote:

Can you use tagging software to show the tags and attach a screen shot? 

I sure would like to do something like that, but what makes it a pain is software which displays only one tag at a time. I’m a non-programmer, and I don’t know how you can merge multiple screen shots into one scrolling document. I tried before, but somehow the .pdf images were all spastically displayed when merged. There should be a way of making it work, just a question of how for me. If  you mp3taggers have a way of doing this automatically, I’ll try it out on my windows computer. 

Black-Rectangle wrote:

One other random possibility: Are there Comments imbedded in the ID3 tags? Sometimes people put ridiculously huge Comments in that field. Get rid of them. (You can just highlight them all and <blank> them in mp3tag.) 

All comments and other miscellaneous nonsense were removed first thing.

Message Edited by Itchyfinger on 08-17-2009 08:11 PM

Message Edited by Itchyfinger on 08-17-2009 08:19 PM

Open an album folder with mp3tag and do a screenshot of that.

I just tried to install Easytag on my Windows laptop. It wanted all kinds of libraries and things it couldn’t find, so if you’re willing to work this through with mp3tag it would be easier. I suspect Sorting is just for EasyTag’s own display. What matters is what’s in the ID3 tag fields. 

Message Edited by Black-Rectangle on 08-17-2009 09:55 PM

@black_rectangle wrote:

Open an album folder with mp3tag and do a screenshot of that.

I just tried to install Easytag on my Windows laptop. It wanted all kinds of libraries and things it couldn’t find, so if you’re willing to work this through with mp3tag it would be easier. I suspect Sorting is just for EasyTag’s own display. What matters is what’s in the ID3 tag fields. 

Message Edited by Black-Rectangle on 08-17-2009 09:55 PM

I second that. I use EasyTAG to catalogue my collection in Linux.

I never use it under Windoze - it was written for a *nix system, and I have never managed to get the Windows port to work properly.

Use Mp3tag if you’re using Windows.