E200v2 03.01.16 Firmware Download & Instructions

A few months ago I updated my e280v2 firmware from 3.01.14a to 3.01.16a.  Since then, it seems much slower to boot (about 25 seconds from power-on to playing first song).  Am I the only one to notice this?

The v2 device should only require the database refresh in two situations: when disconnected from the PC after data transfer, or when the µSD card is first inserted or swapped for a new one.

The v2 remembers the µSD card data, and will not require a database refresh unless it is swapped out; the v1 devices refresh the database every power cycle when a card is inserted.

There are two things that can help with database refresh times.  First, give MTP mode a try, as the Sansa seems to have an easier time with a database build upon MTP transfers.  Second, connect in MSC mode, and delete the hidden file mtable.sys in the root directory.  This is the famed music database table, the one that your Sansa is “refreshing”.  If the file has errors, the Sansa is simply appending to a goofed up file.  If you erase this file, the Sansa will build the database table from scratch, rather than simply modifying the old one.

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

@neutron_bob wrote:

It looks like you might have the operations mixed up a bit, trying to connect in MSC mode.

Hold the power / menu button down for 15 seconds and release.

The Sansa must be OFF.  You can test this by pressing the center button- it should not respond.  Now slide the HOLD switch to the right, toward the headphone jack, and see that the orange bar is visible.

Hold the << button depressed while connecting to the PC.  Don’t release the button until signs of activity on the PC.

Are you now connected?  The display should show the connected logo, and the Sansa should be shown under “devices with removable storage” in My Computer (windows explorer).

You mention that your Sansa has firmware version 3.01.11- this is a point of contention, as it has no MSC mode selection on the device, and the early firmware was prone to database refresh lockup issues.

If the device is communicating normally, update the firmware by following the directions in this Firmware Thread.

I have the same problems

and this did not work for me

i still do not get into msc mode

what can i do now?

Message Edited by twizzle on 07-22-2008 06:34 AM

ok… i have a e250 v2 Firmware 3.01.11 and there is no usb selection on the settings menu. when i go to the firmware updater program, it tells me tha it is in MTP and needs to be in MCS. i tried loading a large ammount of songs through windows media player 11 and it froze 26 percent of the way through and it seems like whenever i try and add music its like its overloading it or something…

@codegray wrote:

ok… i have a e250 v2 Firmware 3.01.11 and there is no usb selection on the settings menu. when i go to the firmware updater program, it tells me tha it is in MTP and needs to be in MCS.  

So near and yet so far . . . read & follow the instructions at the other end of this thread (beginning) to “force” your player into MSC mode so that you can update the firmware. You must have just recently got your player. Most of these v2’s left the factory with the 03.01.11 firmware, and it did not have a USB mode change option in the SETTINGS menu! Just a slight oversight on SanDisk’s part.

“MSC? . . . MSC? . . . They don’t need no stinkin’ MSC!” (Duuuhhh!) :stuck_out_tongue:

Make these changes and you’ll soon be a “Happy Camper”! :smiley:

See what version of WMP you have on the XP.

Try v.10 or 11

k1g

hey there “team” :wink:

I bought a Sansa e280 in Europe and am not sure right now which version it really is. I looked through the posts and all,but now I feel quite confused actually. On the back in the lower right corner of my player it says"model: e280", but under settings ->info it says Version: V03.01.11E

So this is why I’m not 100% sure if my player is a V2model or not. I just want to upgrade my player with the firmware so that it’ll be able to receive /play radio stations (FM here in Europe as u already know).

I was told that this is possible for a e280 player that doesn’t have a radio function yet.

So I’d like to know if I then have to download the firmware for the V2 or V1 or V-whatever model in order to be able to have a radiofunction.

Thanks a lot in advance,and sorry for the extra work. But like I said: I didn’t find any “answer” to my question that was 100% satisfying.So I need to bother u with this. ;-)

Cheers,

Kiwi

Kiwi, read the title of this thread; version 3 (03.01.16) firmware is version 2 (e200v2) hardware, so you have a v2.  As the v1 vs. v2 sticky says, only the firmware version is 100% accurate; the back may not be correct (especially for refurbs).  You can’t install one firmware on the other because they’re totally different hardware.

As far as the FM radio, odds are you can’t activate that feature.  Unlike America, not all e200s sold in Europe have an FM radio; it’s usually (though not always) a hardware difference, just like v1 vs. v2.  The e200’s FM radio is on a separate chip from the player; some European non-FM models have it, but some don’t.  You might try installing the “f” version of this firmware AT YOUR OWN RISK; there’s no guarantee it will work, and you might brick your player.

I bought the e260v2 WITHOUT the radio feature the other day in Germany. Thanks to your upgrade instruction it is now WITH FM radio, I saved 20 euros (not intendedly) and my son will get my 1 gb SAMSUNG model. That is what I call customer orientation…   :smiley:

kiwi-

Your v2 device has the earliest release of the firmware, version 03.01.11e in your case.  Download and install the latest version, 03.01.16.

To do this, I’d try the FM version if you wish, it’s the F variant.

Click on the appropriate link, and you’ll receive a zipped file.  Extract the file, (unzip it), and drag the file to the root directory of your Sansa.  You can do this in either MSC or MTP mode, though if you have the “11” firmware currently running, we’ll leave it at MTP mode.

Plug in your Sansa, and you’ll find it listed in My Computer / Windows Explorer under “other devices”, as a media player.

Double click on the Sansa, and you’ll see Internal Memory listed.  Double click on that once more, and you’ll open the root directory.  Simply drag the m300pf.bin file to the root directory: this is the “box” including the multiple folders listed.  Don’t drop the file into any of the folders, just into the root box.

As a footnote, this file is squeeeezed down to 3447kb.  When extracted (decompressed), it’s 15360kb.

Unplug your Sansa, and the firmware will automatically install.

As a footnote, if your device is not being recognized as an MTP device at this point, and you have no “USB Mode” option in Settings on your Sansa, you can select MSC mode manually by starting with the device OFF.  Slide the HOLD switch atop the device to the right (orange showing), then hold the << button down while plugging in to the PC.  Your Sansa will open an MSC communications session.  Be sure to return the HOLD switch to the off position afterwards, as it locks the keyoard of the Sansa.  MTP mode issues are common on initial setup.  There are many solutions available (see the search box, enter “MTP”)- Bob

Hi,

is there a chance to check if I have the FM-Version,

before installing the firmware for the FM-version?

Is there some information in the serial-No. or is there

a softwarware that can check which hardware is in

the player?

Regards,

Stefan

Quote _ RichPasco _:

A few months ago I updated my e260v2 firmware from 3.01.14a to 3.01.16a. Since then, it seems much slower to boot (about 25 seconds from power-on to playing first song). Am I the only one to notice this?

Exactly the same problem here, just got my e260v2 and updated the firmware to 3.01.16, since then super slow boot sequence, it takes about 17secs (!) til the main menu shows up. Any fix coming up? Or is there any way to downgrade to the pre-installed firmware?

Best regards

Message Edited by Marky1984 on 08-27-2008 10:38 AM

Hi Marky,

someone here in the forum gave the tip to delete the

old database file and reboot.

If you search the forum you should find the advice.

Regards,

Stefan

Hey ellocco: AFAIK, to “delete the database and reboot” was never offered as a solution to the “slow boot” problem; that was a different problem entirely. Rebuilding the database does nothing to reduce the boot time. (I’ve done it, for other reasons, lots of times.)

Can you give a link to a post by anyone who sucessfully made it boot faster in this way?

Message Edited by RichPasco on 08-28-2008 01:50 AM

Maybe this helps:

How to force rebuild of database

Regards

Stefan

Yes, ellocco, you can force a rebuild of the database, but that doesn’t make it boot any faster.

Other Ideas to the topic slow boot:

• Have you tried to remove your SD-card

before booting (do you have a SD-card

in your player?).

• What is the boot time with only few

files on your media 

• Do you work under MTP-mode.

Syncronicing in MTP-mode maybe speed

up your boot process

(suggestion of user: 1nonly )

Probably it is not a firmware issue,

I have no boot problems with the new

firmware.

(But problems with drop outs)

Regards

Stefan

@ellocco wrote:

Other Ideas to the topic slow boot:

• Have you tried to remove your SD-card

before booting (do you have a SD-card

in your player?).

I don’t have an SD-card

• What is the boot time with only few

files on your media

It is the same

• Do you work under MTP-mode.

Syncronicing in MTP-mode maybe speed

up your boot process

(suggestion of user: 1nonly )

I do use MTP mode.

But the booting I’m talking about is with USB cable disconnected

Probably it is not a firmware issue,

It certainly is a firmware issue.  Thatis what boots after you power on!

I have no boot problems with the new firmware.

With your watch, please time how long it takes from first power on unti music plays.

(But problems with drop outs)

Regards

Stefan

I think 1nonly thinks that a player syncronized in MTP mode behaves more friendly

also in stand-alone-mode (without connection to another device over USB-cable).

Have you tried to format your device?

If you still think it is a firmware-version issue, perhaps it makes sense to treat

your device, the same way you treat a bricked player.

Good luck!

Tell us the end of your strory. ellocco

@richpasco wrote:

I do use MTP mode.

But the booting I’m talking about is with USB cable disconnected

[…]

Regards

Stefan

Message Edited by ellocco on 08-28-2008 11:52 AM

Deleting the database (MTABLE.SYS file) on a v2 unit forcing the re-build of it will usually NOT speed up the boot-up process unless . . .

The reason for the “slow boot” is one or more bad ID3 tags on one or more song files, causing the machine to “stumble & think about it a while” when it comes across these tags in the “boot-up” sequence. In fact, if they’re bad enough, it can cause a complete “freeze-up” and the machine will not progress any further, making it un-usuable.

If these “bad” tags are corrected, that could shorten the start-up time, and it might or might not require a complete database re-build to recognize these changes. It probably wouldn’t need it, but it can’t hurt either.

Just be thankful you don’t have a v1 unit. Unlike the v2, which only does a “Refresh Database” when information is changed on the player (as in adding or removing music), the v1’s with an SD card inserted do this on every start-up! And the more the card gets filled up, the longer it takes!