Complete XP-using Newbie's Easy Guide to Getting the Most out of the Fuze!

matcham wrote:

WHAT is ‘driveletter’?

"The root directory is the driveletter that says Sansa Fuze in Computer (or My Computer). It could be D:, E:, F:, whatever. The root directory of your computer itself is (most probably) C:.

matcham wrote:

And what is the little card that I can see is in the card slot (presumably an external memory card which I didn’t put in!) …

Sounds like you got a bonus. Apparently the seller you bought it from on sBay neglected to take the memory card out beofre sending it to you, or maybe it was included in the offering and you didn’t notice or don’t remember.

On settings> info it says:

Memory 7806

Free 6277  (this makes sense to me as I have loaded a fair amount.

SD card 3878     but what is this?!!!

Free 3225 

The memory info displayed is in mb (mega-bytes). The SD card measurement (3878) is the total size of the card. In this case, it’s a 4GB card.

The FREE measurement is how much space that has not been used, or taken up on the card. You still have a little over 3GB space left on this card.

On your internal memory the 7806mb figure indicates an 8GB size. You have used less than 1GB of space so far and have approx. 7GB free.

matcham wrote:

WHAT is ‘driveletter’?

"The root directory is the driveletter that says Sansa Fuze in Computer (or My Computer). It could be D:, E:, F:, whatever. The root directory of your computer itself is (most probably) C:.

matcham wrote:

And what is the little card that I can see is in the card slot (presumably an external memory card which I didn’t put in!) …

Well, it had to get in there somehow. Sounds like you got a bonus. Did you receive a used unit where the previous owner forgot to remove the card, or included it in a package deal? 

Memory 7806

Free 3225 

That is your external memory card. The memory info displayed is in mb (mega-bytes). The SD card measurement (3878) is the total size of the card. In this case, it’s a 4GB card.

The FREE measurement is how much space that has not been used, or taken up on the card. You still have a little over 3GB space left on this card.

On your internal memory the 7806mb figure indicates an 8GB size. You have used less than 1GB of space so far and have approx. 7GB free.

matcham wrote:

Memory 7806

Free 3225 

If your player is set to MSC mode and  you open My Computer and look under “Devices with Removable Storage”, you will see the Sansa Fuze listed with parentheses surrounding a letter and a colon.  As mentioned before that’s the drive letter.  Directly below that you will see something like “Removable disk” with a drive letter.  Double-click on that to open it or just right-click on it and select “open”.   A window will pop up showing you what’s inside that drive or the external card in this case.  It looks to me like there is already something stored on the card.  If it’s music, you just got another unexpected bonus.  hehe

If your player is set to MTP mode, then in My Computer you will see the fuze listed under “Other”.  To see what’s stored on the external card, double-click on “Sansa Fuze 8gb” and windows explorer will open and show you two drive icons – one for external and one for internal.  Then just open the one for the external.

Thank you very much!

I bought the item new in a Sale at Curry’s…think it was just under £50. Maybe unknown to me it was second hand…it certainly had an enormous amount of what I think is rubbish music on it (although I didn’t try it) which is why I was so desperate for a way to remove it from cluttering up anything I added and  which was resolved on this forum by being told to reformat it. I assumed the music was, as it were, a gift from the makers of the Fuze…now, still don’t know now what to think…not that it matters.

Well that solves that mystery …sort of. It is a 4gb card which can’t be bad!

Can’t help laughing …I bought it for use as a delightfully light-weight radio …I didn’t know it was an ‘MP3’ (although I had heard of MP3s)…I knew it would store photos (like my cellphone) but I had no idea of its full potential. All this catching up being very recent!

I think that is it…

Thanks to all of you for your time!  I am keeping a copy of everything that has been explained to me for future reference!

Oh dear…Did as you said expecting enlightenment re the external disc …I have in My Computer apart from DVD (H) & CD RW (I) drives there are 'removable  D/ F /E/G ’ drives which when you click on them tell me to insert disk …then there is K which seems to have most if not all of what I have recorded in the way of music…music only and some empty folders for podcasts, stories.

Sansa Fuze J (the main one) seems to have in it the same stuff re music  plus a lot of visual stuff I added.

I have checked the setting and it is MSC set as you said … WHAT does it mean? I am almost sure that has been set that way  from the begining, as I have only recently looked at the settings at all. But maybe I did something accidentally. I supect from what I see that I have been recording music to the external card…but I don’t know why.

So what is MSC

And what is MTP ?  

And what about Autoselect? What exactly!?

And which should I be using?

I can’t give up now. I DO like to know what I am doing. As far as I can, that is! 

Sorry to be back! Thanks. I can’t believe I am asking more questions. It MUST be helpful to others at least I hope so.

MSC makes the Fuze look like any other disc drive to your computer. Two of them: the memory in the unit (J:  is the driveletter in your case)  and the memory in the card (K: ).To put music on the Fuze from your computer, you just drag and drop files from your computer onto the Fuze or onto the memory card. 

MTP lets Windows Media player control the Fuze, similar to the way iTunes works with an iPod. They wanted it to be ■■■■■-proof, so if Auto Detect is chosen for the USB Mode, the Fuze looks on your computer for Windows Media Player (version 10 or newer)  and goes to MTP mode if it finds it.

It sounds like you have been using MSC. GOOD. MTP is more trouble than it’s worth, if you ask me. Don’t bother with it. Leave the unit set on MSC.

How are you “recording” music? From the radio?  Because you can get higher-quality recordings from a site called http://dar.fm/  that records radio programs–though I suspect it is just US radio.

I don’t know why you have so many empty removable drives listed in your computer. That seems pretty strange.

By the way, here’s a link to the Fuze user manual.

http://www.sansacommunity.com/download/11062/Sansa-Fuze-User-Manual/

Since you do have a CD drive in your computer, you can rip your own CDs–convert the music to mp3 files–and put them on your Fuze. You can use Windows Media Player to do that, putting the mp3 albums in a folder on your computer. Then open that folder, connect the Fuze and  drag-and-drop the music onto the Fuze. 

@matcham wrote:

I have in My Computer apart from DVD (H) & CD RW (I) drives there are 'removable  D/ F /E/G ’ drives which when you click on them tell me to insert disk …then there is K which seems to have most if not all of what I have recorded in the way of music…music only and some empty folders for podcasts, stories.

Sansa Fuze J (the main one) seems to have in it the same stuff re music  plus a lot of visual stuff I added.

I have checked the setting and it is MSC set as you said …

One thing that I like to do so that I can see immediately in My Computer which drive is the external card, is that I rename the drive name from “Removeable Disk”.  To do this, right-click on that drive and select “Properties”.   In the window that pops up, you should see near the top a drive icon and an empty text box next to it.  The text box is where you can enter a name for the drive.  It can only hold up to 11 characters.  For my card’s drive, I named it “4GB Card” since I have several cards of different sizes and I swap them.  After you click "OK’, you should see that name, with the same drive letter as before, appear in My Computer.

One thing to keep in mind.  When you format the card, the name will always go back to the default one that windows gives it.  And you can always just rename it again.

What have I been doing?

Nothing as adventurous as recording from the radio (point noted though) I have been ‘ripping’ my own CDs to the computer via WMP and then when they appear in My Music (miracle) I open My Computer click on Sansa Fuze (the main one J) to open it, click on Music and drag and drop the item and let it do its thing downloading and then move it into the appropriate music sub -folder   …so I can’t see why any music seems to be landing in removable disk K (the one I didn’t know I had!).

I had thought it had to be connected with the obscure initials MTP & MSC but apparantly not! 

I printed off the Sansa Fuze overview when I first got the little creature but maybe there is a more explicit recent version. I have read it again recently but it is easy to miss things.

I’ll have another look tomorrow…meanwhile if any of you you have a brainwave…do let me know. In the end, it works, but I do like to understand things. Goodnight from London.